• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Ennis returning to the Punisher!!?

Sometimes it's just best to leave things alone. Mark Waid wrote one of the best runs on the Flash in history and look at how well his return turned out.

Sometimes it's just best to leave things alone. Mark Waid wrote one of the best runs on the Flash in history and look at how well his return turned out.

Yeah I'd only like to see Ennis return if he was doing something like his Marvel Knights run, because I kind of got bored of his MAX Punisher.

I'm currently re-reading some older Punisher, and I miss when the title was fun to read. Just finished issue 37, he makes a blow dart out of hot sauce, a straw, and tooth pick. Awesome.

You're right! I mean, it's only widely considered to be one of the best Punisher runs in history...who would want more of that???
Um, me?

I'm sorry, should I be giving someone else's opinion when I make posts?

I could call you beforehand next time if it'll make you feel better.

Are the Punisher posters starting to move into Batman poster territory....?:whatever:

Um, me?

I'm sorry, should I be giving someone else's opinion when I make posts?

I could call you beforehand next time if it'll make you feel better.

You would want more of that? Or did you just misread my post?

What Punisher titles do you read/like, then?

You would want more of that? Or did you just misread my post?

What Punisher titles do you read/like, then?
Sorry, I was so excited to be sarcastic, I must've misread you.

I read Ennis' PunisherMAX run. And I liked it.

Doesn't mean I want to read it again.

Nobody's asking you to read it again. This thread is about the possibility of Ennis returning to write new stories. So, given that you enjoyed his previous run, why would the possibility of more stories that you might enjoy be a negative thing?

Nobody's asking you to read it again. This thread is about the possibility of Ennis returning to write new stories. So, given that you enjoyed his previous run, why would the possibility of more stories that you might enjoy be a negative thing?

I know this wasn't directed to me, but I'm going to answer it anyway. It gets old. Ennis's Punisher is very stagnant character, well... Punisher is a stagnant character period. The last guy to really change the character was Remender, but he changed Frank a wee to much for most people.

I know this wasn't directed to me, but I'm going to answer it anyway. It gets old. Ennis's Punisher is very stagnant character, well... Punisher is a stagnant character period. The last guy to really change the character was Remender, but he changed Frank a wee to much for most people.
Bingo.

The majority of people that cried about Remender's take on Punisher never even bothered to give it a shot so F-them.

I thought it was cool stuff, Frank mixing it up with characters pulled from the monster corner of the universe. The Bloodstone is an awesome Marvel artifact. People treated that story like it was going to be permanent. I'm bummed that it didn't get to live out it's full life. Remender wanted to drag out the revenge angle a little longer after Frank gained possession of the Bloodstone.

Aaron did a lot of "new" stuff with the character in his MAX arc, too, though most of the changes have been pretty garbage IMO. I agree that Remender's run was awesome and Frankencastle was one of my favourite "out-there" 616 Punisher arcs in a long time, and I would've loved to see more of Remender's fun stories.

But I, for one, would happily welcome Ennis back to Punisher in a heartbeat. He truly "got" the character more than anyone else has IMO, and even though I've enjoyed post-Ennis MAX arcs, they all built on things that Ennis mastered in the first place.

Yeah yeah, we know. You cry about Aaron every chance you get. :o

Aaron did a lot of "new" stuff with the character in his MAX arc, too, though most of the changes have been pretty garbage IMO. I agree that Remender's run was awesome and Frankencastle was one of my favourite "out-there" 616 Punisher arcs in a long time, and I would've loved to see more of Remender's fun stories.

But I, for one, would happily welcome Ennis back to Punisher in a heartbeat. He truly "got" the character more than anyone else has IMO, and even though I've enjoyed post-Ennis MAX arcs, they all built on things that Ennis mastered in the first place.

I would love to see Ennis back, I'm sure he will someday. Ennis Punisher never got old.

Yeah yeah, we know. You cry about Aaron every chance you get. :o

What is your deal? In this thread alone you stated you have zero interest in whether or not Ennis were to return, and that you don't care if the Punisher series sells well. So, what exactly are you even doing in this thread in the first place?

Oh, trolling...silly me. :whatever:

I did give Remender's run a chance was really looking forward to him coming to the character as I was a big fan of Sea of Red, Fear Agent and Strange Girl prior to him getting the Punisher job. I really disliked everything after the first arc it just wasn't the character as established, just loony tunes antics throughout with Frank painted as a bull in a china shop. Sure there are things to appreciate (just like any bad run) but it wasn't the character, and I like the legion of monsters. Aarons run comes from the same time too and again is trying to be too cute with the character. A pity but I will be glad when his run is over and like Remender I enjoy Scalped and looked forward to his run on the character.

On the subject of the hate the Punisher receives as a character I always wondered where that came from. Characters Im not interested in I leave alone and dont take any notice of but the Punisher seems to rub some sections of the community up the wrong way. An example would be the coverage of the Punisher War Zone movie. Now I admit it wasn't great unfortunatly but there was very little coverage of it at all on a fair few genre websites prior to release (this one excepted). Anyway could never put a finger on where the hate comes from as I feel the character is fairly realistic (within reason) perhaps he makes other characters seem silly in comparison?

Bits of Remenders run where great the first arc Dark Reign was great and his last arc In the Blood, was enjoyable , even Dead Ends arc was ok even if the art was not to my liking.

Just the Frankencastle arc fun as it was , was just to far removed from the Punishers character, and usual setting, maybe would have worked as what if story....

But back to the point, Ennis coming back to write the Punisher would be good I think cause of the extra readers he would pull in and the quality of stories he writes....

Bits of Remenders run where great the first arc Dark Reign was great and his last arc In the Blood, was enjoyable , even Dead Ends arc was ok even if the art was not to my liking.

Just the Frankencastle arc fun as it was , was just to far removed from the Punishers character, and usual setting, maybe would have worked as what if story....

But back to the point, Ennis coming back to write the Punisher would be good I think cause of the extra readers he would pull in and the quality of stories he writes....
Ennis is not going to bring in new readers in today's comic book market. Even with high quality excellent stories.

Also, Remender's Frankencastle story was a necessary addition to the character. The biggest problem with the Punisher before Frankencastle was that he was too old. Marvel refused to move Frank away from the Vietnam era the way they have allowed Iron Man, Captain America, and Spider-Man to be consistently updated to reflect the modern day. What we had was a Punisher that was less than 5 years younger than my grandparents. Frankencastle allowed Marvel to have the Punisher keep his Vietnam roots, but get a much needed deaging to where he's now physically 30, a good six years older than I am.

Last edited:
Also, Remender's Frankencastle story was a necessary addition to the character. The biggest problem with the Punisher before Frankencastle was that he was too old. Marvel refused to move Frank away from the Vietnam era the way they have allowed Iron Man, Captain America, and Spider-Man to be consistently updated to reflect the modern day. What we had was a Punisher that was less than 5 years younger than my grandparents. Frankencastle allowed Marvel to have the Punisher keep his Vietnam roots, but get a much needed deaging to where he's now physically 30, a good six years older than I am.

Not sure I agree with this, especially the bold. Rucka more or less removed Frank from his Vietnam roots in issue 5 I believe, where Norah Winters is writing the article about him. The panels of Frank during his time in war, based on his clothing, implies he was in Desert Storm. If they wanted to de-age Frank Castle, they should have just done it, especially when the remnants of Frankencastle aren't even mentioned.

On the flipside, the one interesting aspect about aging Frank in the regular MU, while updating all the other heroes, is that outside of maybe Captain America, Nick Fury and SHIELD, Frank was the only costumed crime-fighter(unless I'm mistaken...not too fluent on the MU history) before the FF and the whole wave of costumed heroes. That would actually make an interesting story in and of itself.

Not sure I agree with this, especially the bold. Rucka more or less removed Frank from his Vietnam roots in issue 5 I believe, where Norah Winters is writing the article about him. The panels of Frank during his time in war, based on his clothing, implies he was in Desert Storm. If they wanted to de-age Frank Castle, they should have just done it, especially when the remnants of Frankencastle aren't even mentioned.

On the flipside, the one interesting aspect about aging Frank in the regular MU, while updating all the other heroes, is that outside of maybe Captain America, Nick Fury and SHIELD, Frank was the only costumed crime-fighter(unless I'm mistaken...not too fluent on the MU history) before the FF and the whole wave of costumed heroes. That would actually make an interesting story in and of itself.

I hope that's not true cause, 3 tours in Nam > Desert Storm.

Except Marvel let the Punisher approach over 60 years in age. It was something that had to be dealt with. You can't just have Frank go from 60 to 30 for no reason.

The only way Punisher could get into the top ten, is to have someone like Jim Lee drawing him.The combination of great writers and just a great-but not really popular artists would never get the comic into the top ten.

As for the low sales of the recent MAX series, i'd blame Marvel. They never really marketed the series.Just look at what happened recently with the series, it's coming to an end -with the death of the main character, who is a fairly popular marvel character!... and i don't think i've even seen a one page adv. for it on any marvel books that i've bought.

The only way Punisher could get into the top ten, is to have someone like Jim Lee drawing him.The combination of great writers and just a great-but not really popular artists would never get the comic into the top ten.

As for the low sales of the recent MAX series, i'd blame Marvel. They never really marketed the series.Just look at what happened recently with the series, it's coming to an end -with the death of the main character, who is a fairly popular marvel character!... and i don't think i've even seen a one page adv. for it on any marvel books that i've bought.

Spoilers much?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"