Gender myths, challenging the stereotype

Ultimatehero

Life is infinite
Reaction score
What were some of the oddest things you've run across people thinking due to your gender.

I'm a guy. An older female new friend of the family said, "you wouldn't go see Les Mis, would you." I told her that I already saw it and also wrote a musical of my own. Then she said, "oh, of course you're allowed to watch it then." My younger sister was similarly surprised that I wanted to see it. Despite me being the one moving to NYC and always going to broadway musicals on stage whenever I can.

Myth 1 about guys - we can't see musicals and enjoy them apparently (?)

What other stereotypical views have you come across?

Well I used to live under the myth that if you enjoyed Disney animation you were either gay or a 3 year old girl.

That's definitely another one. Unsure how that came about since practically everyone loves Disney.

I've worn dresses on more than one occasion for costuming and comedic purposes, and I'm not even remotely gay or a cross-dresser or whatever. And you know what? They're pretty damn comfortable.

Well I'm a joker with people. I make people laugh, and I act camp sometimes. Doesn't mean I'm gay.

oh_you.jpg

Women can't be funny...which I've never bought into because I've seen women on TV and met women in real life...that were funny...

Probably the dumbest is what colors you're supposed to wear. I have plenty of purple ties/shirts despite that apparently being a "feminine" color. Also light green and light blue are a couple of other "feminine" ones.

I don't have any pink stuff but I simply don't like pink.

What's funny is in the '70s they wore all kinds of terrible pastel colored leisure suits, you'd think I could wear a damn purple tie without discussion.

I heard of this weird myth that all women having vaginas.

I'm working on confirming this as we speak.

Guys don't wear dresses because we have a thing that would hang out. I also think speedos are gross. The last thing I want to see at the beach is the shape of your dong.

Probably the dumbest is what colors you're supposed to wear. I have plenty of purple ties/shirts despite that apparently being a "feminine" color. Also light green and light blue are a couple of other "feminine" ones.

I don't have any pink stuff but I simply don't like pink.

What's funny is in the '70s they wore all kinds of terrible pastel colored leisure suits, you'd think I could wear a damn purple tie without discussion.

I hate stereotypes a lot. But dudes wearing pink always sends the signal that the guy is a sissy.

The easiest one: all men are pigs.

Friends and people at work seem surprised that I, a man, cook my own food.

I heard of this weird myth that all women having vaginas.

I'm working on confirming this as we speak.

[YT]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kYgyTJsthrA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/YT]

The easiest one: all men are pigs.

Alternative: all women are *****es.

Don't really have one of my own, but was buddies with a cross dresser who did a lot of local drag shows. And he wasn't gay at all. In fact, he got laid like a rockstar with the chicks, many of which he met in the bar after doing a drag show. I never thought I'd be in awe of the manhood of a man dressed like Jessica Rabbit

That all guys are into sports.

I'm a guy and I hate all sport activity and it's not because I'm a wimp nor was I picked on at high school I just simply don't care for it when I have other interests like art and collecting comic books.

That all boys are better at girls than sports. Yes, I do know men are physically stronger, but I mean individually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"