Race and Gender in Marvel Movies - an all studios discussion

Joey-Tribianni-Shrug-Friends.gif

One small step toward Riri Williams.

If one wanted to nitpick they could say rocketeer was directed by Joe Johnston who did first avenger

Joey-Tribianni-Shrug-Friends.gif

One small step toward Riri Williams.

Yeah i was thinking that,that's why i posted it, plus marvel mcu/disney and the rocketeer is a disney superhero film and the new is too.
I am looking at the bigger picture, so you got my point.
Someone was talking about this a in vid. today as well.

Last edited:
Fingers crossed about that one. Would love to see it happen.

Especially if White Tiger did for undocumentanted immigrants what Jessica Jones did for rape survivors. I think that would be a very relevant story not just because of what's going on in the world but also in a post civil war marvel u

Well.. I think the question that has to be asked is will someone put a white actor as the Black Falcon, or Luke Cage and if they did, what would the response be?

Equality is a two way street. I am a traditionalist, and I support the invention of NEW characters for the politically correct crowd. It has nothing to do with race, just tradition.

Of course with "multiple" universes, and other options, you can pick and choose what happens where.

HFM

"Spider-Man: Homecoming" Casts "Beasts Of No Nation's" Abraham Attah
FB-spider-man-homecoming-52e6f.jpg

Abraham Attah, the 15-year-old actor who played the child soldier Abu in Cary Fukunaga's "Beasts Of No Nation," has been cast in Marvel/Sony's "Spider-Man: Homecoming."

Full article here.

How am I just now seeing this? That's awesome! I love this kid.

Well.. I think the question that has to be asked is will someone put a white actor as the Black Falcon, or Luke Cage and if they did, what would the response be?

Equality is a two way street. I am a traditionalist, and I support the invention of NEW characters for the politically correct crowd. It has nothing to do with race, just tradition.

Of course with "multiple" universes, and other options, you can pick and choose what happens where.

HFM

Here's the problem: its *not* a two way street. Or rather, in theory, any given character could be subject to race/ethnicity changes as well as any other, because only characters whose ethnicity is a big part of their story need a specific ethnicity.

Problem One: The majority of non-white characters *do* make their ethnicity a major part of their story. Because, historically, you didn't make a non-white character unless you wanted to tell stories about non-whiteness.

Problem Two: There are vastly, vastly more white characters than non-white characters. Make a white character non-white, and it only really effects that character. Make a non-white character white, and you have almost certain reduced the total number of black/hispanic/asian/etc characters in that setting, by a non-trivial percentage. Because depending on the ethnicity, there may be fewer than ten characters of that variety, total, including obscuros.

Here's the problem: its *not* a two way street. Or rather, in theory, any given character could be subject to race/ethnicity changes as well as any other, because only characters whose ethnicity is a big part of their story need a specific ethnicity.

Problem One: The majority of non-white characters *do* make their ethnicity a major part of their story. Because, historically, you didn't make a non-white character unless you wanted to tell stories about non-whiteness.

Problem Two: There are vastly, vastly more white characters than non-white characters. Make a white character non-white, and it only really effects that character. Make a non-white character white, and you have almost certain reduced the total number of black/hispanic/asian/etc characters in that setting, by a non-trivial percentage. Because depending on the ethnicity, there may be fewer than ten characters of that variety, total, including obscuros.

Exactly. People always tout out the "two-way street" argument whenever a big race-swap happens, but anyone making that argument simply has no idea what they're talking about.

Beside Jeryn Hogarth (the cheating wife plot sucks), who went through gender change for the MCU?

HFM

Who is the Black Falcon? Blue Falcon's brother?

We'll have to agree to disagree. The ratio of white to non white characters is exactly why you make NEW hero's instead of remaking or recoloring old ones.
As far as reducing the number of ethnic characters by making them white, I do not agree with doing that, its only an example. In the same token I think tradition should be the prevailing factor in the characters on or in film.
But to each his own

HFM

Marvel's Invincible Iron Man Riri Williams Takes On A New Name
riri-46643.jpg

"Invincible Iron Man" #1 cover by Stefano Caselli
The new armored superhero will bear her own moniker instead of fully picking up the Iron mantle from Tony Stark.

Full article here.

So in other words...she's not really Iron Man. This is dumb. Not only that, has nothing to do with the movies.

Last edited:
"Halt and Catch Fire's" Jona Xiao Joins "Spider-Man: Homecoming"

FB-Jona-Xiao-11b71.jpg

"Spider-Man: Homecoming" adds another cast member, this time it's "Gifted" and "Halt and Catch Fire" actress Jona Xiao.

Full article here.

So in other words...she's not really Iron Man. This is dumb. Not only that, has nothing to do with the movies.

It could in the future. The description that came with the announcement also implied that Tony could become her JARVIS, which seems tailor-made for potential continuation of RDJ's role in the MCU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"