Genetic Liability

SuperFerret

King of the Urban Jungle
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the various Law & Order series, and I've recently seen an episode where a rapist's lawyer was using his "genetic predisposition to violence" as a defense (the character's father had raped his mother), and it became a big "nature vs. nurture" debate in the courtroom.

I don't drink alcohol, at all. My father is an alcoholic (though he's been sober for years) and his father was an alcoholic, I undoubtedly have a genetic predisposition to alcoholism, which is the primary reason why I made the decision to not drink.

I was just thinking about it (brought upon by a comment about a possible genetic predisposition to obesity in another thread), and the question is, are we not still responsible for our actions despite what our genetics might say?

This applies to the things that we can control, such as violence, over-eating, drinking alcohol, etc. as opposed to things we can't, such as our eye or skin color, height, etc. Also, the question could be applied to the "Nuture" side of the debate, surely our upbringing has weight in who we become, but does it remove our liability in following to the logical conclusion?

I'm just wondering what you all think of this. Who or what has ultimate responsibility for our actions? Are we slaves to our genetic make-up and upbringing?

We are only slaves to our natural dispositions if we allow ourselves to be, and if we grow up without any emphasis on personal reflection or critical thought.

There are many factors involved in this, but these two that came to mind for me.

I believe we are ultimately responsible for our own actions. Genetics only say we have a predisposition towards something. It doesn't mean we can't control ourselves. It's ultimately up to the person to decide what is good or bad for him/her.

So you're saying that someone who has both a genetic and behavioural predisposition towards violence is still responsible for any crimes they commit? What about hereditary mental conditions?

I think that would depend on the particular condition, treatability, environment the person lives in, family involvement, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"