Genndy Tartakovsky’s Primal | Adult Swim

This week's episode was great IMO. I thought the witches were pretty interesting villains and scary asf and a part of me would honestly like to see them return, but that's probably unlikely.

I was not expecting that turn though and I swear the last 10-15 minutes of this episode hit me like gut punch with how emotional it was, especially that last shot.

It still amazes how much they can make you feel emotion in this show and yet these characters don't actually have a single line of dialogue. Incredible stuff.

Just watched it; I'd put it at upper-mid tier, it just felt a little, directionless? Don't know, can't quite find the right word for it, but it seemed like there wasn't a clear thesis of sorts, or maybe it just wasn't executed well enough for it to land with me. Clearly there was a theme of empathy between parents of lost children, but I don't quite get why the granny witch (I'm just gonna call her that) was suddenly so invested in the backgrounds of Spear and Fang in the first place. Did she not look into the other victim's backstories? I actually thought the guy that got sacrificed at the beginning was her own son and they'd do something with that to better thematically tie in the rest of the witches and their practices as a whole. I guess this is just one of those episodes that didn't quite work as I'd expected; the pieces were all there, just one or two connections too short.

That said, the score was among the best so far at least in terms of setting an atmosphere and really pairing well with the visuals. Too bad the final two have already been at least partially spoiled via the marketing. Hopefully the stories in those takes yet another turn. Wonder if they'll leave it on another cliffhanger.

Just watched it; I'd put it at upper-mid tier, it just felt a little, directionless? Don't know, can't quite find the right word for it, but it seemed like there wasn't a clear thesis of sorts, or maybe it just wasn't executed well enough for it to land with me. Clearly there was a theme of empathy between parents of lost children, but I don't quite get why the granny witch (I'm just gonna call her that) was suddenly so invested in the backgrounds of Spear and Fang in the first place. Did she not look into the other victim's backstories? I actually thought the guy that got sacrificed at the beginning was her own son and they'd do something with that to better thematically tie in the rest of the witches and their practices as a whole. I guess this is just one of those episodes that didn't quite work as I'd expected; the pieces were all there, just one or two connections too short.

That said, the score was among the best so far at least in terms of setting an atmosphere and really pairing well with the visuals. Too bad the final two have already been at least partially spoiled via the marketing. Hopefully the stories in those takes yet another turn. Wonder if they'll leave it on another cliffhanger.

Maybe she was curious as to how a relationship between a human and a T-rex could possibly have come to be (I'd be curious too). She likely had empathy for the other guy being burned alive, but figured that if a witch would be getting a baby out of it, it wasn't necessarily immoral? Especially since he didn't have any family that we know of, while Spear and Fang had such a strong bond.

I liked the episode, it was a good mid tier episode, not the best or worst (all being relative since 8 episodes in there have been no bad episodes, all good or great.

I thought the witch had a pretty clear path as to why she was sympathetic.
First, with the original victim her heart clearly wasn't into his sacrifice then when she was riding a bewitched Fang and Spear started screaming Fang was able to throw off the enchantment and was resisting her attempts to bewitch him again while Spear continued screaming before finally succumbing.

This made her interested enough to look into why a mini t-rex would be so attached to a human and after seeing their common theme of loss that she could identify with due to her own loss she became very sympathetic to them

Loved the Predator esque influence in this newest episode and how terrified Spear and Fang were throughout, especially after that herd of Triceratops got slaughtered which was actually a pretty chilling scene. It was all great build-up with a satisfying payoff IMO.

Loved the Predator esque influence in this newest episode and how terrified Spear and Fang were throughout, especially after that herd of Triceratops got slaughtered which was actually a pretty chilling scene. It was all great build-up with a satisfying payoff IMO.

Sounds great! Can’t wait to watch the episode!

I was actually extremely underwhelmed by the reveal, though the visuals for that final scene were among my favorites from this show so far. All of that buildup (to an arguably gratuitous and dare I say tedious degree, even for Primal) for so little actual substantial payoff. Unless they're going to call back to this later on, I can't see it as being a particularly strong episode. (As an aside though, I'd actually really like to see some ceratopsians with ultraviolet horn and frill patterns after having seen the neon green ones here.)

I was genuinely hoping that they just do aliens or some cryptozoological or supernatural thing, but no, it's just a retro therizinosaur/Deinocheirus with the symbiote(?) (that is somehow metallic or other wise able to light a piece of flint) and we barely even get a good look at it.

I was actually extremely underwhelmed by the reveal, though the visuals for that final scene were among my favorites from this show so far. All of that buildup (to an arguably gratuitous and dare I say tedious degree, even for Primal) for so little actual substantial payoff. Unless they're going to call back to this later on, I can't see it as being a particularly strong episode. (As an aside though, I'd actually really like to see some ceratopsians with ultraviolet horn and frill patterns after having seen the neon green ones here.)

I was genuinely hoping that they just do aliens or some cryptozoological or supernatural thing, but no, it's just a retro therizinosaur/Deinocheirus with the symbiote(?) (that is somehow metallic or other wise able to light a piece of flint) and we barely even get a good look at it.

Yeah I can understand if most found the final reveal to be somewhat disappointing considering it felt like they were definitely building up to something bigger. I still loved that final battle though and those last shots of Spear and Fang are easily some of the most incredible shots we have gotten in this entire show so far. I definitely want to see if I can find them online, because they are certainly Avatar worthy.

I’m bummed out next week is the season finale, but happy we’re getting S2 next year!

One of my favourite shows in recent years!

I was bummed out big time when I also realized this season was already coming to an end last night, but at least we know there's more to come next year. Other than Dragon Ball Super this is like the only show I actually care about on Adult Swim and I hope it lasts for many seasons.

I think it’s interesting that the both the Midseason finale and the season finale have Spear and Fang battling Ape Men.

Only the ones in the promo seem a lot more animalistic and less mystical.

Curious how the episode jumps to/from that to/from the pliosaur.

I enjoyed the introduction of the new character and Fang battling the water dino was pretty dope, although way too short, but this finale was kind of lackluster honestly. I do love the direction they seem to be going in for the next season though which should add a really interesting and different element to this show overall, but this episode just felt a little too much like set-up for the next season and once again it ends on a cliffhanger.

Another solid episode.
Interesting that there is actually a tiny bit of dialogue, even if it is an unknown language.
I'm sure we'll see "Mira" again.:word:

Mira/Meera (not sure of the spelling) speaks Arabic, specifically Lebanese Arabic, according to people who speak it and translated what she said in the comments of YouTube clips. Very interesting and I assume deliberate choice from the writers.

Speaking of deliberate choices, is it just me or were other people slightly annoyed by the sudden emphasis on Spear's animalistic tendencies to drive home his "primitiveness"? The desired effect could've been achieved without showing him crawling around like a non-human animal.

This certainly has me quite curious as to where the story goes next season, and of course leaves aton of questions for the show's setting, biggest one to me being is Spear some sort of relict human population on a "lost world" island continent or is the rest of the world equally populated by dinosaurs and such?

The little menagerie of creatures Krentz included very much pleased me, from the little feathery ornithopods to the oviraptorid they ate. Also can't front, that soup looked great and I got hungry watching them eat it.

Mira/Meera (not sure of the spelling) speaks Arabic, specifically Lebanese Arabic, according to people who speak it and translated what she said in the comments of YouTube clips. Very interesting and I assume deliberate choice from the writers.

Speaking of deliberate choices, is it just me or were other people slightly annoyed by the sudden emphasis on Spear's animalistic tendencies to drive home his "primitiveness"? The desired effect could've been achieved without showing him crawling around like a non-human animal.

This certainly has me quite curious as to where the story goes next season, and of course leaves aton of questions for the show's setting, biggest one to me being is Spear some sort of relict human population on a "lost world" island continent or is the rest of the world equally populated by dinosaurs and such?

The little menagerie of creatures Krentz included very much pleased me, from the little feathery ornithopods to the oviraptorid they ate. Also can't front, that soup looked great and I got hungry watching them eat it.

I was also wondering about the oddities (apart from humans and dinosaurs existing together of course). Suddenly we have modern humans at a stage where they have boat building and iron.

I'll be interested to see if they address any of that in season 2.

Wow....just found this series this morning, don't know how I missed it up to now. Amazingly violent but cool as hell. Wish the season hadn't ended on a cliffhanger.

Awesome to hear!

I watched the first two episodes with my daughter when she got home from school this afternoon. She loved them. She was sad for Spear and Fang and loved the art.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"