Geoff Johns ....I just watched the Abin Sur/Hal Jordan dailies...

Breogan

My other Avi is Gaucho Mickey
Reaction score
It's not much, but from a bi-monthly 20 questions with Johns at CBR, he's asked one question about the GL movie. http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=25742

I'm going to jump in here with another question. You've been down to New Orleans a few times to visit the "Green Lantern" set. Can you speak about how production is going and specifically what your early impressions are of Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan?

The movie looks fantastic. I'm heading back down to New Orleans in a few weeks, but I just watched the Abin Sur/Hal Jordan dailies, and it's amazing seeing that ring passed to Hal in live action. Abin Sur looks kick-ass.
They did such a great job. They've got Grant [Major] as a production designer. He's from "Lord of the Rings," and the visuals on this film are nothing like you could imagine. It's definitely a Green Lantern fan's dream. For me, it's kind of insane to see this stuff come to life.
And Ryan Reynolds is a perfect Hal Jordan. He brings a lot of humor to it, but he also has the humanity that Hal has. And a little bit of the arrogance, so it's a great match.

Actually it's pretty huge, the ring has been passed:yay: And that there's footage of this filmed is just incredible!

green-lantern-abin-sur.jpg

"It's definitely a Green Lantern fan's dream" - Geoff Johns

everything is perfect from the guy who worked on the comics and was invited on the live action set right? come on. we get it.

fans will jump like they allways do. doesnt matter because in 2011 we will see if it looks good and if the story is good.

I think the most imporant characteristic that Hal need to have: Humanity. Not a cold, empty vessel but someone who you can root for. Like Ryan!

From everything I've read, it seems like the crew has filmed a lot of the movie so far.
I wonder if Abin Sur's costume was an actual GL suit, Grey spandex with tracking dots, or an incomplete cgi suit...

From everything I've read, it seems like the crew has filmed a lot of the movie so far.
I wonder if Abin Sur's costume was an actual GL suit, Grey spandex with tracking dots, or an incomplete cgi suit...

well no one was asking you

Jerk_Store_Called.jpg

I understand the sentiment of giving it its own thread as people tend to ignore news in the news thread (and you seem to ignore the news here as-well only coming in here to be a *****e), its jsut, if ever big news story is gonna be getting its own thread (costume/this) then... whats the point? oh well, carry on.

everything is perfect from the guy who worked on the comics and was invited on the live action set right? come on. we get it.

fans will jump like they allways do. doesnt matter because in 2011 we will see if it looks good and if the story is good.

So true. I find it amusing when someone working for a company starts gushing about a product from that same company. What did we expect him to say? That he is somewhat disappointed with what he has seen so far? These reactions are always predictable. The same happened with Quesada and his reactions to what he has seen of Thor.

the difference between Quesada and Johns is that Johns has....talent?

yeah I said it.

the difference between Quesada and Johns is that Johns has....talent?

yeah I said it.

So true. I find it amusing when someone working for a company starts gushing about a product from that same company. What did we expect him to say? That he is somewhat disappointed with what he has seen so far? These reactions are always predictable. The same happened with Quesada and his reactions to what he has seen of Thor.

Regardless that he's gushing, no **** he's on the inside and he's going to, his enthusiasm is contagious though, he's not entirely a suit yet , he's still kind of a fanboy looking in.
Plus, you're the one focusing on that. The news to me and what I was exited about is that they actually filmed that epic scene.
Did you know that particular news?
That's what people , and I am particularlly exited about.

As far as posting here, it's also in the general discussion, you're welcome to post there.

Last edited:

buzzkill.jpg

cool news from geoff and the stuff about hal/abin scene. Though we really didnt need a whole new thread on this, when it could have been posted in the news thread and/or the abin sur thread.

i love geoff johns. have MAD respect for the guy. i keep on hoping he'll write a script for a dc character. i personally think it would be absolutely awesome if he laid out a treatment for Flash. Anyways, my hopes for the movie just got higher.

I just feels that Johns is a sell out or has a contract with Warner or something. It just doesn`t feel right that everything is going good after the disaster that was Superman Returns. His Superman origin completely SUCKS!! He has such a hard on for the Donner movies and Gary Frank lost his reliability as an artist when he turned Superman into a Christopher Reeve carbon copy. I love Reeve as much as any Superman fan but what they`ve been doing in the comics is beyond distasteful and a DISGRACE to the history of the character and even to Reeve himself. How can anybody support that is beyond me. I`m not gonna trust anybody but me when it comes to movies. It is just like that. Can`t help it.

Last edited:
i didnt know what you were talking so i googled hes name and i found this. holly s.... this is really Reeve.

eun978.jpg

i don't mind it at all. i actually like his 'secret origins' for Superman. Love live Johns.

I just feels that Johns is a sell out or has a contract with Warner or something. It just doesn`t feel right that everything is going good after the disaster that was Superman Returns. His Superman origin completely SUCKS!! He has such a hard on for the Donner movies and Gary Frank lost his reliability as an artist when he turned Superman into a Christopher Reeve carbon copy. I love Reeve as much as any Superman fan but what they`ve been doing in the comics is beyond distasteful and a DISGRACE to the history of the character and even to Reeve himself. How can anybody support that is beyond me. I`m not gonna trust anybody but me when it comes to movies. It is just like that. Can`t help it.

i don't find it to be a disgrace or distasteful at all. i consider it an homage to superman. to this day Christopher Reeve's is probably the most well known version of superman, so to have his likeness to what is supposed to be the "definitive" superman origin is not surprising. geof johns is trying to encompass what everyone likes about superman in this story. you may not like his version, but that is what i think the intent is. i really don't think its distasteful to try to give people the most recognizable version. he's also going by his own experience as a story teller. a writer or an author has to tell stories that he likes and hopes that the fans the community that reads it will agree. you're going to get people who will like it, love it, and even hate it; as you do. but if you don't like his version of superman's origin because its too much like the past, thats kind of what superman: earth one, is for. thats supposed to be a new version and an all new, modern take on the old superman origin whereas geoff johns is trying to encompass past takes and integrate them. to say that its disrespectful to christopher reeves, i would probably say that he'd be honored that to this day he is still looked at with such high regard. i would probably think that he would say that superman means more than just him portraying the character, but he would still be happy that his superman is looked at so fondly.

as far as the green lantern movie, geof johns had nothing to do with superman returns and no one involved in green lantern had anything to do with superman returns and vice a versa, so i dont see how the two would correlate at all. batman begins and dark knight were successful and it seems like the wb/dc are trying to take that approach with the production of green lantern.

Its not a homage. It`s a carbon copy. I hate it with passion. Superman is bigger than any actor. But anyways, Green Lantern does look good but i just don`t trust Johns or anybody`s opinions on how the movie looks like.

it really is an homage, whether its a carbon copy or not. and of course you cant really listen to what the creators of the film are going to say. they're going to gush over it to get good hype going. the only thing you should really go by is your personal taste because no one can tell you what you're going to like. but from their point of view, and financially, they're going to try to get the fanboys hyped and try to bring in more from the general audiences. but geoff johns also had a pretty big influence on smallville's absolute justice and from what i can tell, alot of the fanboys enjoyed it. i know i enjoyed it but would have liked to have seen what they could do on a big scale movie version. only time will tell about green lantern and how well it does, but even if it does do well in the box office, alot of people can still hate it. look at what xmen 3 did at the box office. it did well but mostly everyone hated it, but thats a separate situation and alot that goes with it. i really think green lantern is going to be similar to iron man. especially with the cgi costume. visually i think green lantern will be like tron meets iron man meets star wars.

yea its more of a homage and johns trying to combine many different elements from across superman's vast history. But that is the problem with superman there has been far to many "reboots" so it just god why do we need another one again deal to most fans probably. As for superman look i said it myself time and time again as much as i love reeve as superman. i do want to see a new look and the next guy be able to define the character/look for his own.

i love geoff johns. have MAD respect for the guy. i keep on hoping he'll write a script for a dc character. i personally think it would be absolutely awesome if he laid out a treatment for Flash. Anyways, my hopes for the movie just got higher.
Im pretty sure he actually did lay out a treatment for Flash..:woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"