Go out and buy a Thing TPB

Kool-Aid

Sidekick
Reaction score
When it comes out.:)

Heres Joe said about the cancellation.

”DBHughes” - Volume 1 of Dan Slott's Thing trade paperback is solicited in the July orders; those orders are not due until May 30 (a full two weeks from now). Why was the Thing announced as cancelled before Marvel even saw what the orders were for the first Thing trade paperback? Sales are allegedly the key factor in whether a title survives; Spider-Girl has in fact survived largely in part due to its trade paperback sales?

JQ: DB, our sales people have some pretty accurate ways of measuring how a title will do in the after market based on its current monthly sales and books of its kind historically. It’s black magic to me, but I’m always freaked out at how accurate they are. Sure, once in a blue moon a title over exceeds our expectations in the trade market, we love those kinds of surprises, so here’s the good news. If Thing does well as a trade, I’ll bet you dollars to donuts that we come back atcha with a new Thing series. It’s that simple.

How can these be accurate. If the issues sell 50'000 then that there is at least 40'000 people that wont buy the Trades.

I am going on Wednesday and putting in an order for the trade.

I tell everybody I know to either go get the issues of pick up the TPB.

But see that's what I think he means, Roughneck. The sales of the TPB will reflect a certain percentage of interested people, minus many of those that had the comics already.

What he means is that it will reflect the amount of people, new and old, that are interested in the title, and it will show that just amount the same minority do.

I won't be buying the TPB just like I didn't get the comics, because Thing is honestly the most boring character I've ever read about in Marvel. The FF just annoy me overall.

well..from reading only the issue with Spidey guest-starring..if all the other issues were as good, I'll definately pick it up..those insults on ASM were awesome! :)

Marvel didn't even give The Thing a chance to grab a wide fan-base.

Kotagg said:
But see that's what I think he means, Roughneck. The sales of the TPB will reflect a certain percentage of interested people, minus many of those that had the comics already.

What he means is that it will reflect the amount of people, new and old, that are interested in the title, and it will show that just amount the same minority do.

I won't be buying the TPB just like I didn't get the comics, because Thing is honestly the most boring character I've ever read about in Marvel. The FF just annoy me overall.
May I ask what FF books you've actually read?

I miss the Crew. Now thats a book that never had a chance in hell.

Me, too. I could really use some good Rhodey action these days. Not that ONE crap, either.

Seriously. You'd think with all these old school rivals (Spider-woman, Ms.Marvel) Rhody would get some action. But noooooo. God forbid a black man actually have a starring role in something.

jaydawg said:
Seriously. You'd think with all these old school rivals (Spider-woman, Ms.Marvel) Rhody would get some action. But noooooo. God forbid a black man actually have a starring role in something.

I don't know, Luke Cage has been doing pretty well lately.

May I ask what FF books you've actually read?

Hmm...the last time I read a serious arc was probably about four years ago, and I honestly can't remember much more about it than it bored me.

I picked up an issue about two months ago as well, and still the characters held no interest for me. I don't know, they're just too...contrived.

Brainiac 8 said:
I don't know, Luke Cage has been doing pretty well lately.
Yeah, he's really been filling that token black guy role on the New Avengers well. :up:

Like I said. Starring role. Cage cant be described as anything more than supporting.

I get single issues.

I love Thing. And I loved the LOST joke thrown into the last issue. Rofl, awesome. :D:up:

Roughneck said:
How can these be accurate. If the issues sell 50'000 then that there is at least 40'000 people that wont buy the Trades.

I am going on Wednesday and putting in an order for the trade.
It is accurate. A book like Daredevil has medicore monthly sales but the hardcovers/trades are always near the top for sales. Same with books like Fables and Y Last Man. Sorry guys, but the Thing is doomed unless they put it out in digest format since it certainly can't compete in the trade market.

Eh, Thing is a pretty good read but there are tons of AWESOME titles out there that blow you away every time you crack them open (DD, Ultimates, Planet Hulk). This book is simply hurting because there isn't a big enough audience for the genre.

Plus it's the Thing and let's face it... Fantastic Four, 4, First Family 4, Ultimate FF (Those are just off the top of my head). Only Dan Slott fans, and hardcore FF fans are going to want MORE Thing.

Mr. Green said:
Eh, Thing is a pretty good read but there are tons of AWESOME titles out there that blow you away every time you crack them open (DD, Ultimates, Planet Hulk). This book is simply hurting because there isn't a big enough audience for the genre.

Plus it's the Thing and let's face it... Fantastic Four, 4, First Family 4, Ultimate FF (Those are just off the top of my head). Only Dan Slott fans, and hardcore FF fans are going to want MORE Thing.
You bring up a good point; certain franchises can't handle an expotential number of books on their line. Marvel's found out that not even the always reliable X-line can maintain healthy sales for books anymore; a score of X-titles launched within the past 2 years have died from low sales. THE THING wouldn't have to compete so hard if it was maybe the 2nd or 3rd FF title, instead of the fifth. Marvel pushes many of their own books out of competition with overdoing their franchises sometimes, and they don't even realize it. They also don't realize that if a comic isn't worth advertising about, then it isn't worth publishing. Marvel seriously needs to limit the new books they launch, and the ones they launch they need to launch EFFICIENTLY. Throwing books to the wind with zero support is almost ludicrious. Imagine buying a store and doing nothing to advertise it. No ads. No fliers. No business cards. Not even a decent sign on the window. Nada. Just Generic Shop #411. Its called investment.

Oh, wait, I'm talking about a company that once lost millions on Fleer cards no one wanted. Nevermind.

I have never been a big F4 fan, never really liked the characters all that much. I didn't buy The Thing for that very reason.

On a whim, I picked up the last issue of it and I enjoyed it. I didn't take it seriously, it was fun, it was interesting and it kept me. That's what I want from a comic book. I will be picking up the issues before it, and will pick up the final issues until the cancellation.

It's a damn shame the title was never given a chance to grow, with a talent like Slott working on it, It should have been given a chance by a large number of comic fans as I guarentee it will deliver on what an entertaining comic book should be.

Even still, I never thought The Thing to be the type of character to hold a long standing ongoing. So it lasting as short as it has doesn't come as a surprise to me.

Get Slott on Spidey instead then.

Everyone except the people in charge seem to see Slott on Spidey as the surefire win that it is. :(

Dread said:
You bring up a good point; certain franchises can't handle an expotential number of books on their line. Marvel's found out that not even the always reliable X-line can maintain healthy sales for books anymore; a score of X-titles launched within the past 2 years have died from low sales. THE THING wouldn't have to compete so hard if it was maybe the 2nd or 3rd FF title, instead of the fifth. Marvel pushes many of their own books out of competition with overdoing their franchises sometimes, and they don't even realize it. They also don't realize that if a comic isn't worth advertising about, then it isn't worth publishing. Marvel seriously needs to limit the new books they launch, and the ones they launch they need to launch EFFICIENTLY. Throwing books to the wind with zero support is almost ludicrious. Imagine buying a store and doing nothing to advertise it. No ads. No fliers. No business cards. Not even a decent sign on the window. Nada. Just Generic Shop #411. Its called investment.

Agreed.

Dan Slott himself has observed that the timing of launching the thing was unfortunate. It was never going to get noticed amongst the crossovers and events that marvel was hyping the hell out of (decimation, the other, civil war hype etc).

I credit marvel for at least releasing the book, but the lack of any push is silly and counter productive. The problem as I see would be how to hype it. Almost all comic events are hyped as universe changing, major changes, bold new direction etc etc. It seems hype is based on how much of an impact a story will have on continuity and rarely, if ever, on the actual quality of the story. The thing wasn't this but the hype of "a well written, charming, witty, fun and entertaing book" doesn't strike me as something that is going to sell over "OMG THE UNIVERSE WILL NEVER BE THE SAME etc". Heck how many of us here have bought a book we didn't think was actually that good but because it would have a large effect on the direction of the universe/characters? Do we actually seek to be entertained when we by comics or just informed of whats happening in the universe over which we are the self appointed guardians of??

I suppose at the end of the day though we can only blame ourselves for not buying the book. (and yes i did buy the book but you know what I mean). The comic market just doesn't seem to want a traditional and FUN superhero book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"