Marvel Publishing Update

Question; Has DC actually LOST sales, or is it that Marvel's sales have just increased?

Question; Has DC actually LOST sales, or is it that Marvel's sales have just increased?

In this particular month in question, it's really a bit of both. The loss of sales isn't as grave as one may think for DC, but it is a concern. The thing was, in this month we're talking about DC under published most of their books, meaning they weren't at full strength, due to delays and what not. And on top of that, Marvel is just selling a lot more comics. They have their regualr ongoings selling strong, and now their mini's and event comics as well. DC isn't making as much money as they were say a year ago, but it's not a dramatic free fall or anything.

Marvel's events have been getting a lot more favorable attention from critics, as well. That probably factors into it. Somehow. I don't know .

Marvel's events have been getting a lot more favorable attention from critics, as well. That probably factors into it. Somehow. I don't know .

That goes with the "DC is not accessible" claim.

I don't see how they're less accessible. The problem with DC's events right now, in my opinion, is that they suck. Amazons Attack is perfectly accessible; it's just terrible, as well.

In this particular month in question, it's really a bit of both. The loss of sales isn't as grave as one may think for DC, but it is a concern. The thing was, in this month we're talking about DC under published most of their books, meaning they weren't at full strength, due to delays and what not. And on top of that, Marvel is just selling a lot more comics. They have their regualr ongoings selling strong, and now their mini's and event comics as well. DC isn't making as much money as they were say a year ago, but it's not a dramatic free fall or anything.

It's just weird. I mean, you'd think with Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman...characters my GRANDPARENTS recognized on sight, DC would be the #1 publisher.

I mean; how are you a superhero fan, and NOT love Supes or Batman?

I don't see how they're less accessible. The problem with DC's events right now, in my opinion, is that they suck. Amazons Attack is perfectly accessible; it's just terrible, as well.

Yeah, it didnt interest me. Nor did the 52 or Countdown solicsits... I enjoyed Infinite Crisis very much though.

It's just weird. I mean, you'd think with Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman...characters my GRANDPARENTS recognized on sight, DC would be the #1 publisher.

Because Superman just isn't interesting. Everything about him has been done already. Plus, where's the sense of drama and urgency when your hero's unbeatable?

You're just playing devil's advocate, right?
Yeah, it didnt interest me. Nor did the 52 or Countdown solicsits... I enjoyed Infinite Crisis very much though.
52 was pretty good for the most part. Countdown's issues have ranged from decent reads to lamentable messes. It hasn't really been good at all, though.

The problem with Superman is that his hands are tied by the very nature of the American comic publishing model. You can't actually have Superman be Superman because it would mess up everything everyone else is doing in the other monthlies. The best Superman stuff these days happens in else world tales and out of continuity stories.

No, I really don't like Superman.
Not liking him is one thing, but come on. There's no drama or urgency when the character's unbeatable? Every superhero is unbeatable. It's not like they're going to die, and even if they do, it's not like they're going to stay dead. The heroes always eventually win in mainstream superhero comics. His powers aren't anymore of a problem than any of the dozens of other high-powered characters', either. It's just on the writer to scale the threats up to meet his level.

Well, the problem is with Superman and Batman, their titles need to actually come out to be bought. The big title aka Donner/Johns on Action Comics is a joke with it's delays right now and Morrison's Batman never comes out on time. And in Wonder Woman's case, they got her going on time, but the title sucks right now. At this moment, JLA is DC's #1 title, and that is really a mixed bag title. Love/Hate title so to speak.

Yeah, all of DC's major characters' comics suck except for Detective Comics whenever Dini's writing. It's kind of sad that Blue Beetle, Checkmate, and a bunch of other second- or third-tier comics are so drastically better than the major characters' titles. At least Marvel's going strong on Captain America and Daredevil, and they've got World War Hulk showcasing the Hulk.

Amazons Attack is not accessible. Unlike Civil War, World War Hulk, Identity Crisis, and Infinite Crisis, you pretty much need all the freaking tie-ins to get what the hell is going on with the damn story. Plus it sucks to boot.

You didn't need tie-ins to understand what was happening in the first couple issues. I don't know about now, though. I quit reading it because it sucked. :)

Well, the problem is with Superman and Batman, their titles need to actually come out to be bought. The big title aka Donner/Johns on Action Comics is a joke with it's delays right now and Morrison's Batman never comes out on time. And in Wonder Woman's case, they got her going on time, but the title sucks right now. At this moment, JLA is DC's #1 title, and that is really a mixed bag title. Love/Hate title so to speak.

Picoult's run on Wonder Woman wouldn't be so bad if it weren't a tie-in to the horrid Amazons Attack series. It's why I kinda pitty her because I think her run would have been mostly decent if she weren't forced to do this. Oh well, Simone is comming on the book soon, so it's all good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zelzela
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"