• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GOAT: Citizen Kane or Paddington 2?

Kane52630

T-800 User
Reaction score
In light of recent events...

'Citizen Kane' review unearthed after 80 years, making 'Paddington 2' officially better - CNN

Who do you got as the greatest film of all time?

LWnuK6o.jpg

Don't get me wrong, Citizen Kane is a good film, but I've always felt it to be overrated.

I guess I should finally get around to watching Paddington 2 considering everyone who's seen it says it's amazing. Might as well check out the first one too while I'm at.

Well, whatever you think of it, Citizen Kane is still talked about 80 years later.

Will Paddington 2 have that kind of lifespan? Probably yes lol

I'm so tired of the Citizen Kane hot takes, like it's quaint to recognize how goddamn great it actually is. And I'm so tired of it being used as an excuse for bad movies ("what didja expect?! citizen cane?!" most recently: *coughmortalkombatcough*).

Its reputation as one of the great works of cinema is completely earned. Give it an actual watch sometime; it's ****ing fantastic.

Directed by David Fincher.
Written by Aaron Sorkin.

Charles Foster Kane: Gary Oldman

Paddington: Daniel Day Lewis (who will prepare for the role by sailing from Peru to London on a lifeboat, surviving solely on marmalade)

Paddington 2 isn't even the best Paddington.

I'm so tired of the Citizen Kane hot takes, like it's quaint to recognize how goddamn great it actually is. And I'm so tired of it being used as an excuse for bad movies ("what didja expect?! citizen cane?!" most recently: *coughmortalkombatcough*).

Its reputation as one of the great works of cinema is completely earned. Give it an actual watch sometime; it's ****ing fantastic.

Plot twist: some people have given Citizen Kane a watch and don't like it (myself included), just like every other movie ever.

I haven't seen Paddington 2, though, so it wouldn't be fair for me to vote for it.

Obviously, reviewers do not “grade on a curve.” Thus, the same criteria used to judge a modern, feel-good family movie can be applied to a 1940s art film. Likewise, the recent Godzilla vs. Kong (75% RT) is equivalent in quality and nuance to Eyes Wide Shut (75% RT).

All movies can be reduced to raw numbers. And numbers don’t lie.

:ninja:

CK is an excellent example of 'film-making' as a technical example, as a actual film in the aesthetic sense of enjoyment, warmth, fuzzy feeling of experiencing a story that beats our hearts & minds, no.

Paddington 2 (and the original) works on both these levels, for me.

Marmalade for the win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"