Why doesn't Hollywood make classic movies anymore?

perhaps you mean what happened to the "simple classic" movie
this can be
-no jerking cameras
-long angle shot's and panning
-theater like feeling
-limited explosions or none at all.
-no cursing
-no sex
-classic lighting
-classic sets
-no CGI
-actors fluent in theater arts.

It's probably a combination of factors. I think the biggest one would be that those who are writing the scripts and getting to direct, are those who just happened to be related to or know someone on a personal level who is part of the already established elite in Hollywood. Most of the breakout writers, directors and actors/actresses I find to be from over seas, like in The UK, or India.

this can be
-no jerking cameras
-theater like feeling
-no cursing
-no sex
-classic lighting
-classic sets
-no CGI

Interesting points.

I guess its just due to different eras. Those types of movies are tagged as "old people" movies nowadays. Great non-blockbuster movies are obviously still being made today though. Maybe movies have just lost their innocence where cursing and such are found in almost all Oscar nominated movies today.

It also seems like directors have forgotten how to film action properly.

this can be
-no jerking cameras
-theater like feeling
-no cursing
-no sex
-classic lighting
-classic sets
-no CGI

Thinking over some of the genre classic and I totally see them in-line with this :up:

CylcopWASRight IS right.

:D

I'd argue that X Men and X2 (and to a lesser extent Blade) are also classics from that era as they're films that essentially reignited and began the Comic Book movie craze as well as being great films that hold up and spoke about today. When talking about the greatest CBMs ever X Men 2 is always brought up.

I'd say as far as superhero movies go the classics would be Superman, Batman, The Dark Knight, X2, Spider-Man 2, Iron Man, X-Men First Class & Avengers.

Cult Classic entries would be ones like Blade, Kick Ass, Hellboy, Sin City & Dredd

Last edited:
History mostly only remembers good films. It's as easy as that. 70's American Cinema is considered the auteur era, but there were tons and tons of terrible B-movies and exploitation films made in the 70's too, a lot of them worse than most films nowadays. Of course they've all been buried in the desert and forgotten about.

this can be
-no jerking cameras
-theater like feeling
-no cursing
-no sex
-classic lighting
-classic sets
-no CGI
lol.

That description only matches art films these days. :funny:

Seems like a lot of talent has drifted into television these days, rather than movies.

Seems like a lot of talent has drifted into television these days, rather than movies.

Actually there are still plenty of quality films, you just don't see as many groundbreaking blockbuster films because there's no longer any ground to break.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"