Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire

I'd love for Michael Dougherty to come back, King of the Monsters is my favorite of these by a small margin. They're all so different, but I really enjoy the tone and aesthetic of that film.

Sadly, Toho is still involved in the decision making.

To be fair, he has far more creative control when it comes to Kong. Toho is very controlling, and have out right told them they can't make him a character.
Give them a ton of money and Godzilla can win lol

I imagine the focus is going to be team-up movies. I don't know how many more of these we are going to get. One reason why I think trying to get a Gamera involved here is a good idea to explore. Try and get a viable other franchise and maybe a way forward if Toho pulls out eventually

I can't see Wingard sticking around after a third movie. And there's not really much else they can go from here other than aliens and maybe a Destroy All Monsters type of finale, but the latter would require a gargantuan budget so I don't think it's feasible atm.

I would love to see Biollante in the Monsterverse, but at this point I'm doubtful we'll see any more Toho monsters in the future.

Also, isn't the reason Gamera and Godzilla haven't had a crossover because the company who owns the former is very strict on not letting it happen?

I can't see Wingard sticking around after a third movie. And there's not really much else they can go from here other than aliens and maybe a Destroy All Monsters type of finale, but the latter would require a gargantuan budget so I don't think it's feasible atm.

That could work, also would be a way to give the Monsterverse a soft reboot for the next set of films.

But go all the way and give us the monsters and those cheap ass aliens too like in the OG movie LOL.
Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 9.51.58 PM.png

I would love to see Biollante in the Monsterverse, but at this point I'm doubtful we'll see any more Toho monsters in the future.

Also, isn't the reason Gamera and Godzilla haven't had a crossover because the company who owns the former is very strict on not letting it happen?
No, TOHO is the holdout on the crossover. They never saw value in it

Ah, roger. Yeah, I don't think Gamera will ever pop up in the Monsterverse. 😅

Have you listened to his interviews?? He is an over the top Godzilla fan and does not really care anything about the Kong character. Look at both these movies. Kong takes a beating in every outing. He does not even closely resemble any kong ever. The only reason he has him is to move the plot along and bring in Kong fans. Had KOTM performed better G vs K would have been a totally different film, they leaned on Kong after that fiasco and KOTM still has a cult following with many believing it is still the best in the monster verse regardless of box office.

Wingard is talented no doubt, but he should just do a solo Godzilla film and leave the ape out of it. I love these characters, but refuse to go see this or any other movie this guy directs with the ape in it. I probably would go see a solo Godzilla film from him though, because he genuinely loves Godzilla. Again look at every interview and how Godzilla is powered up in all these movies moving like no other Godzilla ever! Last movie Godzilla running a spearing a faster opponent was downright laughable as well as him connecting with a slap on the carrier with enough force to knock the ape back.
Gonna have to hard disagree with all of this.

Kong (along with Jia) was easily the heart & soul of GvK. Wingard handled him in a way that I feel didn't diminish the strength of the character & even allowed him to evolve beyond previous versions (i.e communicating via sign language) & to have an actual character arc throughout the film. He even continued what Vogt Roberts introduced in having Kong be more than just the "big dumb ape kidnaps blonde" archetype like other films always portray ad nauseum.

The way he & Godzilla interacted was handled very appropriately. I LOVE King Kong, he's always been one of my favorite monsters ever. But outside of some ridiculous power-up along the lines of the original versus film, he should not be overpowering or outright defeating Godzilla. And when we're talking about MonsterVerse Godzilla, we are talking about a being that is literally over 250 million years old. Kong has been fighting all his life but with Godzilla being substantially older that means he's far more experienced & also more powerful due to absorbing so much radiation.

Say what you want about Wingard but he definitely doesn't hate Kong & he surely isn't "ruining" the character as you seem to be suggesting. That's just absurd.

I'd love for Michael Dougherty to come back, King of the Monsters is my favorite of these by a small margin. They're all so different, but I really enjoy the tone and aesthetic of that film.

Yes. Bring back Dougherty and Bear. Just have their script be given another go over lol.

I do think Biollante is actually the perfect choice. First off...She's massive and with her tendrils could easily take on multiple opponents at once. Plus the MV is at a point where if they're building Mecha Gs and Titan Armor, gene splicing Titan DNA with other animals and plants and totally doable.

I imagine the focus is going to be team-up movies. I don't know how many more of these we are going to get. One reason why I think trying to get a Gamera involved here is a good idea to explore. Try and get a viable other franchise and maybe a way forward if Toho pulls out eventually

I mean, a significant percentage of the Showa films had Godzilla teaming up with another monster in the final fight.

Interesting to see your BO predictions guys.

I was (hopefully) low-balling this. I want it to do well but I saw the opening weekend in the region of $35m-$40m.

Social Media Embargo lifts tonight, reviews tomorrow.

Take a Shot every time someone mentions GMO to complain about the movie.

That banner is amazing, holy hell.

Seeing it on Thursday, just expecting some good Kaiju knock out drag out battle. I don't think they should do a 3rd team up without having them do their own movies in between. Kong and Godzilla will never have an actual winner when they fight in these. You just can't risk bruising a brand.

I want SpaceGodzilla!
^ This! I've been in love with the thought of seeing SpaceGodzilla appear ever since they made it clear they wanted to make a cinematic universe.

I'd honestly love to see what Wingard & co. would cook up with SpaceGodzilla. Blows my mind that the character has only had one film appearance despite having a fairly decent amount of popularity.

OMG WHAT. I'm seeing this on Saturday with my 6 y.o. daughter who loves Godzilla but she LOVES Mothra the most. Hilariously, she's been getting super excited for this movie because she wants to see "pink" Godzilla but holy smokes she's going to go absolutely bananas because she has no idea that Mothra is in it. I cannot wait to see this with her, I hope she loves it!

Local reviews are out and they're all over the place. One star. Two stars. Three stars. Four stars. I just got my tickets for tomorrow, can't wait. Looking forward to a good combination of dumb and fun.

Cool to see that Dan Stevens is in this. Been a big fan of his since the Guest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"