Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire

Either way, I wasn't expecting this to have better reviews than Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire out of the gate.

GJHpCCIXcAEbQFL

:funny:

scared-no.gif

Mine is:

Godzilla 2014
Kong Skull Island
King of the Monsters
Godzilla v Kong

While this goes against the majority of lists here, there isn't really anything to pick between these film. They've all been excellent entries in the Monsterverse.
I agree with your ranking, the only difference is I dislike all of them, and actively hate the bottom two. Godzilla's 2014's the only worthwhile one with its amazing sense of scale, but the narrative is an absolute mess.

My ranking (space purposeful) :
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla v Kong
Kong Skull Island
[where GvK2 will likely settle]

King of the Monsters

I’m a King Kong guy at heart, I want the “monster” films that take it remotely seriously. Per how that relate to Godzilla, I gravitated to the original and loved Minus One.

My ranking:

1. Godzilla vs Kong
2. Godzilla 2014
3. Godzilla King of the Monsters
4. Kong: Skull Island
5. Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire

It was hard to choose between King of the Monsters and Skull Island.

100 reviews in and sitting at 62% on the critic score.

Did a little deep into the previous scores on RT:

G14 C: 76% A: 66%
KSI C: 76% A: 69%
KOTM C:42% A: 83%
GvK: C 76% A: 91%

I gotta say Im still surprised to see GvK with that high of a Critic Score. Especially since story wise both G14 and KSI blow it out of the water. But then again the Monsterverse defies normal conventions.

The story is the weakest out of all the monsterverse movies and same for the characters. But damn, those last 20 minutes had me glued. Overall, I had a decent time.

Last edited:
Well, I'm not happy. I expected some neon colors, thanks to pink Godzilla. But, not for the entire screen to be pure pink and neon green. And apparently it was something that the theater could not fix while the film was running, and apparently stopping the movie to work on the projector was not an option.

sigh

Guess I have to do a later, more crowded show.

100 reviews in and sitting at 62% on the critic score.

Did a little deep into the previous scores on RT:

G14 C: 76% A: 66%
KSI C: 76% A: 69%
KOTM C:42% A: 83%
GvK: C 76% A: 91%

I gotta say Im still surprised to see GvK with that high of a Critic Score. Especially since story wise both G14 and KSI blow it out of the water. But then again the Monsterverse defies normal conventions.
My theory as to why GvK sits higher than we'd think on RT is because it came out during a time when new blockbusters were still scarce during the pandemic and people in general, including critics, were starved for anything new. It's not particularly good but it's entertaining, and that was enough for people at that time.

Well, I'm not happy. I expected some neon colors, thanks to pink Godzilla. But, not for the entire screen to be pure pink and neon green. And apparently it was something that the theater could not fix while the film was running, and apparently stopping the movie to work on the projector was not an option.

sigh

Bummer Sith :(

Yeah about on par with Godzilla vs Kong. Decent fun at the theaters. Skull Island is still probably my favorite but Godzilla 2014 has grown on me too

sigh

My showtime failed too. 4DX problems. Had to return later in the day.

I recommend Imax. The screen was clearly cutting things off on the top and bottom making seeing the final fight a bit hazy. Unless that was just the editing? They really brought 4DX power levels up to eleven making it difficult to keep track too.

I’d say 6/10 which is a full two point drop from the rest. Above King of Monsters which I would give a 5/10.

Last edited:

sigh

That almost sounds like an HDR/Dolby Vision problem.

Okay, rather than gamble on my preferred theater fixing the problem in time for the next show time, switched theaters. Which, ended up being a good thing, because my back up theater had GxK souvenir cups. Snapped up the one with a little Godzilla on top because that one will definitely be first to go. May try to go back next week to try and grab a Kong one.

Had a blast. Was absolutely what was being sold in the trailers.

Was not expecting Shuko to be such a little ****. Loved it.

My only real complaint, is if you use THAT monster to the extent that you do, you get a composer that can actually use or do a good arrangement of her theme.

The score for this movie was fairly lackluster IMO. But overall, more of the same as Godzilla vs Kong. I think that movie was probably the better of the 2 movies overall, but I think they're similar quality

This does feel to me though that at one time, maybe this was a Kong solo sequel, and then money happened and they were like "we gotta add Godzilla" and then they crowbarred him in there. Which is fine, plenty of old Showa GodIlla films did that type of stuff. But it feels very apparent to me

Last edited:
Well this was fun. Absolutely felt like a mid to late Showa film with the absurdity of the human plot. But outside of the wacky sci fi, parts of the movie really reminded me of Ebirah Horror of the Deep, which is one of my favorite Showa Godzilla films. The movie definitely centers around Kong, but there was still plenty of Godzilla and his usage felt fitting.

My new MV ranking is:

1) KOTM
2) Godzilla 2014
3) GVK
4) GXK
5) Kong Skull Island

Skull Island is 100% objectively a better film than GXK, but I enjoyed the latter more because it had all the kaiju I cared about more.

Fun as ****…

Kong tossing a boulder and knocking out meth monkey was a highlight.

Not as much heart as Skull Island or wonder as Godzilla 14, but no dead weight either.

Kong | Skull Island [5/5]
Godzilla Vs. Kong [4.5/5]
Godzilla [4/5]
Kong x Godzilla | New Empire [4/5]
Godzilla | King Of The Monsters [3.5/5]

UPDATE
1. Godzilla KOTM 4.5/5 :
2. Kong Skull Island 4/5:
3. Godzilla 4/5:
4. GxK: TNE 3.5/5
5. Godzilla vs Kong: 2.5/5

Need time to collect all my thoughts, but I enjoyed it quite a bit more than GxK

Early estimates are $8 million Thur. Second highest of the Monsterverse, after Godzilla 2014's 9.3. Should be an interesting weekend.

I thought it was neither better or worse than the last few movies. This franchise feels like the current equivalent to the Transformers movies - critics think they're bad, fans at best seem to be "its dumb fun!" and the movies have some human characters in a small cockpit looking off screen to giant creatures punching each other through the wonders of CGI.

For me personally it's hard to rank any of these movies over 6/10 because there's really not much depth or anything interesting going on aside from seeing Kong or Godzilla (which is fun for a few minutes but also wears off a bit). Maybe it would be more fun if the plot was better than "X has to fight Y or we die" or if the characters were more interesting but I think a key issue for me is that because you have these massive titans fighting, you need a lot of CGI and when you put so much CGI into it, a lot of the movie just looks fake, like a video game cutscene. It's hard to feel the weight of Godzilla or Kong smashing through buildings or waves in the ocean when it doesn't "feel" real.

I still had an enjoyable 2 hours at the cinema with my dad and sister so I don't mean to sound too negative!

I had a blast overall. The audience I was with ate it up, and the fights were so much fun, just as I expected them to be. This movie knows what it is and, even more than the others, embraced that to the fullest.

7/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"