Iron Man Good all-star casting in Iron Man, yes, but so what?

toddly6666

Civilian
Reaction score
Good all-star casting in Iron Man, yes, but so what? Many unsuccessful comic book movies have had loads of great and respectable actors in them, but as a whole, the movies have been fair, dated, or suck:

Batman: a good superhero movie for it's time, but dated. Quality actors are in it such as: Keaton, Nicholson, Basinger(she has an "Oscar"), Billy Dee Williams, Palance

Batman Returns: a good superhero movie for it's time, but dated. Quality actors are in it such as: Keaton, De Vito, Phieffer, Christopher Walken, Jan Hooks, Pee Wee Herman, Doug Jones

Batman Forever: a bad superhero movie and dated. Quality actors are in it such as: Keaton, Tommy Lee Jones, Jim Carrey, Kidman, O'Donnell, Drew Barrymore, JON FAVREAU(hmm...don't remember him in it, curious to rent this now)

Batman & Robin: Clooney, Arnold, O'Donnell, Uma Thurman

Catwoman: Berry(Oscar winner), Stone(Golden Globe winner, Oscar Nominee), Lambert Wilson

The Punisher: Thomas Jane, Travolta, Will Patton, Ben Foster, Laura Harring, Roy Scheider

Superman Returns: Spacey, Posey, Langella, Kal Penn

Hulk: Bana, Connelly, Sam Elliott(he's try again in Ghost Rider), Josh Lucas, Nolte

The good superhero movies (Batman Begins, Xmens, Spidermans, Blade 1&2, V for Vendetta, Superman 1&2) have had famous actors in them too though, so it doesn't matter really who's in the movie as long as they have good directing, writing, and good acting regardless if they are A-list stars or not.

I dunno it's an okay point

true this is all gunna come down to Faverau, but I have faith in Mikey "he's all growns up" but the cast is huge, you can't down play at all how huge this is, this is symbolism that there are respected actors, who could take a bunch of different roles (Granted in RDJ's case one that won't pay quite so much) that they could get noticed, and make money off of, why would they do a superhero movie unless they dug what Faverau and Marvel where throwing at them? I think it is at the very least a sign that the movie is in the right hands

If Ghost Rider can be good, which apparently it is, then Iron Man can be just as good of a movie

Good all-star casting in Iron Man, yes, but so what? Many unsuccessful comic book movies have had loads of great and respectable actors in them, but as a whole, the movies have been fair, dated, or suck:

Batman: a good superhero movie for it's time, but dated. Quality actors are in it such as: Keaton, Nicholson, Basinger(she has an "Oscar"), Billy Dee Williams, Palance

Batman Returns: a good superhero movie for it's time, but dated. Quality actors are in it such as: Keaton, De Vito, Phieffer, Christopher Walken, Jan Hooks, Pee Wee Herman, Doug Jones

Batman Forever: a bad superhero movie and dated. Quality actors are in it such as: Keaton, Tommy Lee Jones, Jim Carrey, Kidman, O'Donnell, Drew Barrymore, JON FAVREAU(hmm...don't remember him in it, curious to rent this now)

Catwoman: Berry(Oscar winner), Stone(Golden Globe winner, Oscar Nominee), Lambert Wilson

The Punisher: Thomas Jane, Travolta, Will Patton, Ben Foster, Laura Harring, Roy Scheider

Hulk: Bana, Connelly, Sam Elliott(he's try again in Ghost Rider), Josh Lucas, Nolte

The good superhero movies (Batman Begins, Xmens, Spidermans, Blade 1&2, V for Vendetta, Superman 1&2) have had famous actors in them too though, so it doesn't matter really who's in the movie as long as they have good directing, writing, and good acting regardless if they are A-list stars or not.

Are you like the master of the obvious..? lol

Good all-star casting in Iron Man, yes, but so what? Many unsuccessful comic book movies have had loads of great and respectable actors in them, but as a whole, the movies have been fair, dated, or suck...

LOL So what was the point of you post exactly? You can't throw out a topic of discussion whilst sitting on the fence...

Worst thread ever.

Is anybody saying this movie will be great based on cast alone? NO.

Unfortunately, since we haven't read a script or seen a frame of film yet (since it hasn't even started filming), cast and crew (including a good director) is kind of all we have to go on right now, short of speculation.

Oh, and Keaton wasn't in Forever.

I'm just saying that some people get a little too overwhelmed and excited when they hear who's involved in the cast and end up overhyping the film to then get disappointed when the film actually comes out. People then say "but there was so much talent involved, how could the film be so bland or suck?"
With superhero movies, I really don't care who's playing in the roles as long as they are good actors. I get excited from any superhero movie getting the greenlight ever since Blade came out. Post-2000 comic books are taken seriously, instead of being interpreted as cheesy camp. We used to get such crap between Superman 2 and Blade 1 (80s through late 90s). The only time I got excited for an actor cast as a superhero was Christian Bale as Batman. When Spiderman was getting cast, anyone one would have been good as long as Raimi was in charge, because he's a genius. Raimi can also make super-entertaining movies without big stars at the time - look at The Quick and the Dead(Crowe and DiCaprio weren't famous yet), Darkman(Liam Neeson who?) and Evil Deads(Bruce Campbell).
I'm looking forward to Ghost Rider, but I don't care whatsoever that Nick Cage is in the film. I like him, but it won't determine why I go see a brand new live-action Marvel flick! I'm dying of curiousity how they handle the way Blackheart is in his real form...Same goes for Iron Man, they can cast whoever, I'm just curious to see how many Iron Man suits are gonna be in it, if War Machine will show up, if they have the alchohol addiction, and if Mandarin will have more active screen time than he did in the Iron Man cartoon movie.

I disagree on those two movies being poor, but I do kinda agree that the just because the cast is great doesn't mean the movie will be. The cast does make me feel confident that the movie will be well acted though, and that plays a significant role in a movie's quality.
And btw, Favs just had a very small cameo as a security guard in the backround of Batman Forever.

BB was one of the best superhero films and at the same time it had a plenty of great and even perfect actors (except Holmes) :up:

Robert Downey Jr. = One of the greatest unconventional leading men of our time!

Terrence Howard = The biggest surprise since... I dunno, fluffernutter or PB&J or something. You see Hustle & Flow? It was incredible!

Jeff MUTHA F'IN Bridges = The Dude is in IRON MAN! Carpets be damned!

This is a VERY prestigious cast that had to have been drawn to the project for good reasons. I'm seriously getting the feeling that Favreau has THE MOST character driven superhero film ever made in his hands right now.

It's VERY friggin exciting! And I'm not even a big IRON MAN fanatic!

Here's the stinkers:

Robert Downey Jr. was also in: The Shaggy Dog, Gothika, In Dreams, U.S. Marshalls, Only You

Terrance Howard was also in: Idlewild, Get Rich or Die Tryin, Four Brothers, Biker Boyz, Hart's War, GLITTER!!, Angel Eyes, Big Momma's House

Jeff Bridges was also in: Tideland, The Door in the Floor, K-PAX, The Muse, The Mirror Has Two Faces, Blown Away, Heaven's Gate(still curious to see this film of why this flick got such bad slack), King Kong

Gwyneth Paltrow was also in: Running With Scissors, Sky Captain, View From the Top, Bounce, Duets, Hush...and as I read IMDB right now, I had no idea she had a role as a student in Higher Learning(one of my favorite flicks)

First off... Kal Penn is not an 'all-star' casting choice. :cmad:

Second, no combination of George Clooney, Chris O'Donnell, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Uma Thurman and Alicia Silverstone could ever work in a movie.

Third, assuming a movie's quality by it's cast alone is not the best way to do so.

Here's the stinkers:

Robert Downey Jr. was also in: The Shaggy Dog, Gothika, In Dreams, U.S. Marshalls, Only You

Terrance Howard was also in: Idlewild, Get Rich or Die Tryin, Four Brothers, Biker Boyz, Hart's War, GLITTER!!, Angel Eyes, Big Momma's House

Jeff Bridges was also in: Tideland, The Door in the Floor, K-PAX, The Muse, The Mirror Has Two Faces, Blown Away, Heaven's Gate(still curious to see this film of why this flick got such bad slack), King Kong

Gwyneth Paltrow was also in: Running With Scissors, Sky Captain, View From the Top, Bounce, Duets, Hush...and as I read IMDB right now, I had no idea she had a role as a student in Higher Learning(one of my favorite flicks)

Touche. Downey, Howard, and Bridges always bring their A-Game to any and every flick that they do. Paltrow can be hit or miss, but with the right person giving her direction she can turn in great performances. Jon Favreau is above all else a great actor's director. It's just good news for everyone.

Every A-list actor likes to do a "fun" flick once in a while. They've all slummed a couple times in their career. I could never do straight artsy fartsy movies if I was an actor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"