Robert Downey Jr Signs Two-Picture Deal To Return As Iron Man In The Avengers Sequels

I say don't expect an Iron Man movie after Avengers 2. It will probably be the last with this team characters plus or minus 2 characters most likely The Hulk because he is the Hulk and he is awesome, iconic, badass and fun and Captain America because he is a leader and a classic Avengers Icon. Ant Man will take Iron Man's spot probably along with a member of the Guardians of the Galaxy or whoever character Marvel will make a movie about.

PS : You may not like The Dark Knight Rises but the ending was simply amazing. And stop this Marvel vs DC thing. Both sides are f-ed up and wrong because they dogmatize and im a dc fan. Iron Man 3 like it or not was a very flawed movie, TDKR like it or not is a very flawed movie IF YOU sit down and nitpick the f out of it. Iron Man 3 doesn't need nitpicking to find flaws. That's IMO what separates the two films in terms of badness. (Funny i preached about taking sides while i clearly gave an advantage to TDKR). Nighty-night !

Wondering how much he got paid. I'm think $35 million up front for each of them and then a smaller cut of the back end than he got for Avengers.

Its not a matter of whether he COULD have gotten the shrapnel taken out earlier, its a matter that he wasn't motivated to. Even when the whole chest reactor set up was threatening his health, the fact that he was constantly on the brink of death and that he was fighting it off with his technology had become a major part of Tony's ego, it became part of the narrative and view of himself as a changed man, it was what separated him from his shallow past-self. This use of technology as a shield against the potential danger of his life further manifests with him obsessively building suits for every possible threat and situation but what he was really doing was keeping the world at arms length, pushing away the reality of what he faced. All that any of it did was create a buffer rather than solve the problem, exactly the same as the reactor with the shrapnel in his chest. The great development of Iron Man 3 is that Tony finally faces all of these issues, be it his emotional trauma, his insecurities with Pepper, or the shrapnel in his chest.

I'm sorry, I don't buy the idea that he wasn't motivated to getting the shrapnel removed when his mini arc reactor was killing him and not necessarily protecting him anymore as was the case with the first film with the creation of the mini arc reactor. Doing it just for Pepper because she got rid of the Extremis from her system is just an awful attempt at giving Tony the motivation to do such now in the third film.

I'm not so sure he has the mass appeal that Tony Stark does, or the potential for it.
Let's face it, Robert Downey Jr made Iron Man and Tony Stark an A lister. Nobody outside of the marvel fanbase knew Iron Man and the GA went to see the film because it looked like a cool film and mostrly because of RDJ. He is an awesome actor AND eye candy. Follow the same formula for Doctor Strange you have a win win senario.

While I agree with you, I also don't think Dr. Strange is the only character to have that formula work with.

I also believe Doc Strange is gonna be their new flagship hero for phase 3. He's got flashy abilities a cool story and interesting villains. All can make for a great movie. Just pick the right actor and all is good. and just to throw my 2 cents into the IM3/DKR debate... IM3 FTW :p

Feige has said a few times that the IM solo movies will continue, i'm sure they are just letting him rest a bit to let some other characters get their time in the sun and they will bring him back with a new actor playing the role.

And I appreciate IM movies taking a break as some people will need time to let go of RDJ.
I would hope they concentrate on Dr. Strange, Ant Man, and Ms. Marvel.

No one would have ever thought IM would have been the flagship of the MCU if it wasn't for a great director and a smart script with the first IM film. The same could be with Dr. Strange and only time will tell.

I have my doubts that Doctor Strange could be Marvel's new flagship Character.Having said that though,I think he's probably the only remaining character that can sustain his own trilogy without being introduced elsewhere.

For instance,Ms Marvel,Black Panther,Namor, Inhumans,Etc,would be better served being introduced in an Avengers/FF film,imo.

No one would have ever thought IM would have been the flagship of the MCU if it wasn't for a great director and a smart script with the first IM film. The same could be with Dr. Strange and only time will tell.

Yeah but when you look at the history of Marvel Comics, Iron Man has always been one of Marvel's golden-boys along with Spider-Man, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Captain America and Hulk. He got his own animated series in the 90s, he appeared in those Capcom games in the 90s. He just wasn't as popular to the general public as X-Men and Spider-Man.

I have my doubts that Doctor Strange could be Marvel's new flagship Character.Having said that though,I think he's probably the only remaining character that can sustain his own trilogy without being introduced elsewhere.

Exactly!

Marvel already introduced their core four in the movies and all of them already got a solo movie and they can't use Spider-Man, X-Men and Fantastic Four. So they have to branch out and try their lesser-known characters. And I feel like out of their lesser-known characters, Dr. Strange has the best chance for success.

Yeah but when you look at the history of Marvel Comics, Iron Man has always been one of Marvel's golden-boys along with Spider-Man, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Captain America and Hulk. He got his own animated series in the 90s, he appeared in those Capcom games in the 90s. He just wasn't as popular to the general public as X-Men and Spider-Man.

And it goes back to how a film could become for Dr. Strange as well. No one ever gets excited for the X-Men, Fantastic Four, Captain America or Hulk because of their films. A great director and a great script and Dr. Strange could indeed become the new flagship.

Iron Man 3 did some things I didn't like, SHANE BLACK, YOU ARE THE WORST EVER!!!

Yes. Yes it was.

IM3 was IMO the absolute worst of all the Marvel movies and the only one I left angry and disappointed. I thought the Mandarin would be my big problem but it paled into nothing compared to everything else I hated about Not-Iron Man 3. I'm glad you liked it but it broke my faith in Shane Black and made me more cautious of the MCU in general

Glad RDJ is back. IM3 was highly enjoyable to me. I loved how they blindsided people with the mandarin twist. the execution was great and the hate ('losing their minds") for it really shows how well it was executed. shane black rocked it. tight script

Glad RDJ is back. IM3 was highly enjoyable to me. I loved how they blindsided people with the mandarin twist. the execution was great and the hate ('losing their minds") for it really shows how well it was executed. shane black rocked it. tight script

:up:

I love reading all the hate spewed at IM3. When it came out overseas a couple of people said they saw fans leaving the theater nearly in tears from the outrage. Just once I wanted to see nerds cry tears of impotent rage. But all I saw in my screenings were people laughing and having a blast. So disappointing. :waa:

I love reading all the hate spewed at IM3. When it came out overseas a couple of people said they saw fans leaving the theater nearly in tears from the outrage. Just once I wanted to see nerds cry tears of impotent rage. But all I saw in my screenings were people laughing and having a blast. So disappointing. :waa:
:lmao:

maybe i am out of the loop but didn't im3 end with him getting reactor taken out and blowing up all his suits?

he pretty much retired lol

how in the world do they explain him coming back

maybe i am out of the loop but didn't im3 end with him getting reactor taken out and blowing up all his suits?

he pretty much retired lol

how in the world do they explain him coming back

Iron Man 3 ended with Tony Stark saying, "I am Iron Man." He wasn't retiring at all, merely summing up his life, changing what he could and moving forward. Tony even went back to the wreckage of his Malibu dream house and rescued Dum-E, U and a screwdriver. As for the suits, well, the theme of the film was, "Does the suit make the hero, or is it the man inside who does?" That was answered pretty definitively. Tony Stark is Iron Man, whether he is in a suit or not.

Even without all of that, RDJ's new contract has to make it clear to everyone that Tony Stark has not retired. Downey is playing the character in at least two more films. Joss Whedon has said the destruction of the suits is not an issue. Why would it be? Tony still has the tech, he can create a suit in a matter of hours, from scratch. Iron Man lives to fight another day.

(Before anyone asks, the removal of the arc reactor is also not a problem. The later suits had their own internal arc reactors; they couldn't have operated without tony inside of them if they didn't. Any new suit(s) will have its own arc reactor power source as well. There is no longer a need for the reactor in Tony's chest as a plot device.)

I would never cry out of disappointment. But you bring up laughing...I CAN laugh when I'm disappointed at something, although I had really no emotion after seeing Iron Man 3 except for wanting to get such a bad taste off.

there's a lot of "you can't replace RDJ" in this thread. i think that is why Fiege's bond analogy is so brilliant because Connery seemed so irreplaceable as well.
it's nice to get the full expected stint out of him of 3 IMs and 3 Avengers tho. hope they get someone good for IM and Avengers 4-6.

Last edited:
I would never cry out of disappointment. But you bring up laughing...I CAN laugh when I'm disappointed at something, although I had really no emotion after seeing Iron Man 3 except for wanting to get such a bad taste off.

Nice attempt at spin. It's okay, though. We understand. Go ahead, let it all out. :waa:

I say don't expect an Iron Man movie after Avengers 2. It will probably be the last with this team characters plus or minus 2 characters most likely The Hulk because he is the Hulk and he is awesome, iconic, badass and fun and Captain America because he is a leader and a classic Avengers Icon. Ant Man will take Iron Man's spot probably along with a member of the Guardians of the Galaxy or whoever character Marvel will make a movie about.

PS : You may not like The Dark Knight Rises but the ending was simply amazing. And stop this Marvel vs DC thing. Both sides are f-ed up and wrong because they dogmatize and im a dc fan. Iron Man 3 like it or not was a very flawed movie, TDKR like it or not is a very flawed movie IF YOU sit down and nitpick the f out of it. Iron Man 3 doesn't need nitpicking to find flaws. That's IMO what separates the two films in terms of badness. (Funny i preached about taking sides while i clearly gave an advantage to TDKR). Nighty-night !

TDKR was way more flawed than IM3. Not to turn this into a TDKR vs IM3, but come on, it's pretty damn dumb to think you can look at TDKR without seeing it's glaring flaws. That movie had more plot holes, more bad acting, and more questions about it than either movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"