Marvel Chief Chimes In On ‘Avengers’ Movie

He-Man

Sidekick
Reaction score
Published by MTV Movies Team on Tuesday, November 6, 2007 at 2:27 pm.

Article by Matt Harper

With casting of the “Justice League of America” movie well underway, one of the biggest resulting questions is whether the Avengers, Marvel’s equivalent to the JLA, will ever see their own cinematic chances realized.

To get an opinion directly from the source, we sought out Joe Quesada, Marvel’s editor-in-chief, to get his take on the legendary superteam and what he thinks the chances are of getting them assembled on the big screen.

“Strictly speaking as a fan, who wouldn’t want to see [an Avengers movie],” Quesada enthused.

While agreeing that a Marvel’s Team-up movie would be exciting, Quesada was quick to add that the chances of that actually happening were pretty astronomical. And while he wouldn’t shed any detailed insight into its feasibility, he did offer up his own dream roster for an Avengers big-budget flick.

“It would be Captain America, Thor, and Iron Man,” Quesada stated. “You can have anyone outside of that, but if you had those three characters, you have a tremendous Avengers movie. Those three characters are sort of the Holy Trinity here at Marvel.”

That’s about all we could get out of the classically tight-lipped Joe Quesada, but with Iron Man set for release in ‘08, and both Thor and Captain America in the planning stages, could an Avengers movie be far off?
http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2007/11/06/marvel-chief-chimes-in-on-avengers-movie/

SHH seems to think that Quesada is saying that an Avengers movie is unlikely, but wouldn't there being an "astronomical chance" mean that it IS likely?

Someone ought to tell Joe they're already working on an Avengers movie.

I think they only have a writer for an Avengers movie. WW had a writer and now it's shelved. I don't know, but I would rather see a solo Captain America movie and solo Thor movie first, before an Avengers movie. They should establish the characters first and then maybe join them together later on. They don't have to do what WB is doing with JLA. It would make things messy, IMO.

There will be an avengers movie; but it's a good 4-5 years away imo.

Yeah; they're doing it right. Introduce the characters THEN team them up.

DC wouldn't have to take the short cut if they hadn't dropped the ball up until now.

Don't get too optimistic people... without the cast this project is no better than this hap ass JLA coming up... if they keep it in a separate universe then there is really no point to the movie... confident they'll get it done by 2012 though... hopefully 2014 latest

What he meant to say was

"When we get someone other than Zak Penn to write it, it might happen"

I hope we get to see an Avengers movie one day.

Quesada says it is unlikely now but if JLA does well i doubt he will still be whistling this tune. I mean he is hardly gonna say "Marvel doesn`t have the ability to make the avengers movie but DC and WB can easily make their big team flick." If JLA does well Quesada will most likely get behind an avengers movie.

I mean the film wing of marvel are definitly planning an avengers movie I mean why would they greenlight an Ant-man movie and gput their efforts into that more than others like Namor or Doctor Strange unless they were planning an avengers movie. Ant-Man is hardly one of marvel`s most well known characters. And other films like namor would prob get marvel more money. There are other reasons to do an ant-man movie but it seems the primary reason is that he rounds off the classic roster.

I don't see why he'd have to see JLA be a success... I figure Avengers is an obvious box office draw.
But I like how they are going about this, establishing origin movies for all the main characters before bringing them together.
The X-Men franchise would have been much better if it had been handled in a similar fashion, since character introduction and development in that franchise was often mucky.

Its hard to say what they will do several years down the road, if JLA tanks at the box office, Marvel will be happy just to let Iron Man, Captain America and Thor be solo films.
If JLA does well, then Avengers will happen, right now all Marvel has for Avengers is a writer who is most likely on strike right now,lol, so Avengers is a long way off.

Well, good thing it's not just Joey Q's choice.

Well, good thing it's not just Joey Q's choice.

The report has now been updated. Apparantly they twisted joe`s words around and that he said that a MARVEL-TEAM UP movie was unlikely and that the avengers movie is happening.

There is more than an astronomical chance that Quesada is an A-hole...

Why would anyone say stupid crap like that? It's like saying "yeah, I know where the treasure is hidden, but i ain't digging it up."

They can release Avengers or JLA movies before, during, or after any of those individual character ones. They will make money whether they suck or not. They can have different casts too. It's obvious that it's too risky to have the actors in the solo projects play in the Avengers/JLA ones.

Of course we are going to have an Avengers movie...

I still don't know why anyone would think the probability of an Avengers movie happening is in any way connected to how well a JLA movie would do.

Of course I see the parallels, yet I am inclined to opine that the members of the Avengers roster is overall just that much better, and I think that they are indeed more popular.

But I realize my opinion counts for nothing, that said, you wouldn't say one horror movie about vampires wouldn't get done just because another one before it bombed.

There is more than an astronomical chance that Quesada is an A-hole...

Why would anyone say stupid crap like that? It's like saying "yeah, I know where the treasure is hidden, but i ain't digging it up."

They can release Avengers or JLA movies before, during, or after any of those individual character ones. They will make money whether they suck or not. They can have different casts too. It's obvious that it's too risky to have the actors in the solo projects play in the Avengers/JLA ones.

Of course we are going to have an Avengers movie...

Read the report again. Its been updated on the superherohype main page. Quesada apparantly rejected the idea of a Marvel Team-up Movie. He apparantly never claimed they weren`t making an avengers one. MTV simply assumed he was saying the avengers bit wasn`t happening.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6497

UPDATE: Looks like that is not what Joe Quesada meant to say. We just received the following from MTV: "Due to a misinterpretation, there was an error in our reporting for the Avengers story. Quesada was stating that the chances of a Marvel Team-Up movie were "pretty astronomical," not the chances of an "Avengers" film. We've since corrected the report. Our sincerest apologies."

Jeez thats what i just said. No-One listens to a word i say. I`m not even gonna bother telling you about that spacequake thats heading our planet`s way. lol.

Why would you be looking forward to a spacequake?

It took me a really long time before I realized it wasn't Master Chief talking about The Avengers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"