Grayskull: Masters of the Universe - Part 3

Mad Max for sure.

I dont think this movie needs a complex origin story just make it simple like the Mad Max and Terminator films.

He-Man was a barbarian from an Eternian tribe. The planet's inhabitants were dealing with the aftermath of the Great Wars, which devastated the civilizations which once ruled supreme. The wars left behind advanced machinery and weaponry, known only to select people. An early incarnation of the Sorceress of Castle Grayskull gave He-Man some of these weapons, and he set out to defend the secrets of Castle Grayskull from the evil Skeletor.

Make it a simple story of He-Man in an post apocalyptic world getting about having to slay beasts on his quest to destory Skeletor.

So you want to go with a basic bland mini comic and throw out everything that improves and added layers to the story. Bugger off. And where the bad place did post apocalyptic come from that's never been a part of motu

You do know the whole backstory and depth between Heman and skeleton and the royal family lineage the racist undertones against skeletor the addition of the snake men and horde etc

Those earlier stories and mini-comics were really before the whole world and universe of MOTU was fully fleshed out.

If you look at the earliest mini-comics, and you can find all the 1980s mini-comics collected together in a giant compendium, the continuity was basically changing from issue to issue. I'm just saying, the stories weren't very cohesive in those earliest stories. Origins, backstories, and identities were very fluid and constantly changing. Like Teela is the Goddess at first, then she's Teela. Then she's basically Teela and the Sorceress at the same time.

So you want to go with a basic bland mini comic and throw out everything that improves and added layers to the story. Bugger off. And where the bad place did post apocalyptic come from that's never been a part of motu

You do know the whole backstory and depth between Heman and skeleton and the royal family lineage the racist undertones against skeletor the addition of the snake men and horde etc

Post apocalyptic was a poor choice of words. Was really just referring to aftermath of the war.

I know jack **** about He-Man, I'm purely basing my ideas off of images from the original comics.

Sorry if that bothers you mate. Perhaps you could point me in a better direction for He-Man knowledge.

Last edited:
MOTU of the Universe often dealt with magic/sorcery, and I'm curious to know how they'll handle this in a movie. Will they keep those elements as they are, and try and go down the whole Thor route of 'advanced-science-is-basically-magic-to-lesser-beings'? In other words, will Eternia basically be an aesthetically different version of Asgard?

Personally I enjoy the mystery of something being truly magical as opposed to just being so advanced that we can't understand it. I could never really wrap my head round races of very scientifically advanced beings who still used swords for warfare.

It shouldn't be an either or. It's always had both technology and magic. That's one of the most appealing things about it.

One minute they could be fighting dragons with swords. Another minute they could be in a vehicle like the wind raider or riding the Battle Ram.

Oh they should definitely have both fantasy and sci fi. I don't think it even needs to be explained. Just show us a world where both exist and is bad ash.

Yeah they never needed to explain how they have both technology and magic. It's simply a world where both exist.

they dont need to explain it but there should be some internal logic in the movie universe.

it would be stupid if someone uses a sword instead of a scifi gun or a green tiger instead of a futuristic flying vehicle

After watching that Dark Tower trailer, I hope Sony and Rothman never make a movie AGAIN, let alone He-Man.

they dont need to explain it but there should be some internal logic in the movie universe.

it would be stupid if someone uses a sword instead of a scifi gun or a green tiger instead of a futuristic flying vehicle

Why?

Battle Cat is a big cat. He can't fly. A Wind Raider might get He-Man to places or heights Battle Cat cannot.

That logic doesn't escape fantasy universes either. Why does the fellowship walk to Mordor if the giant eagles can just fly them there?

They try to explain it away by saying the eagles would've been corrupted by the ring like all powerful beings, but who knows.

They try to explain it away by saying the eagles would've been corrupted by the ring like all powerful beings, but who knows.

Would they have been corrupted in The Hobbit too?

I still think the 200X series is a good blueprint on how to do the tone of a novie. Not 1 to 1, but as an inspiration. I don't think I would have ever gone back to MotU if that series had been as campy and childish as the Filmation series.

I also enjoyed the DC comics run for what it was. Though I think maybe that would be a bit too dark for a movie. I'd enjoy another comic run with that tone of seriousness, but broken up with more levity and more importantly better stories and better service given to the cast of MotU and not just focusing on a few as though the rest were non-existent.

The don't need to explain just simply have the two elements some use tech some use magic that's really it

Personally I want them to play up the idea that skeletor is in the right lol. He's randors older brother but because his mother was gar(blue skin) and an affair he's seen as a lesser being. And not worthy of the throne.

That and personally I'd start with the great horde war and Jordan being banished lead to the last battle of Keldor him getting hit with the acid and then time jump forward to Adam in him late teens and then play up the idea of the war and evil warriors are now all folk tales

Why does the fellowship walk to Mordor if the giant eagles can just fly them there?
This question again? :whatever: As a massive Tolkien fan let me tell you

that there's no real in-story explanation. Tolkien just kind of forgot to address this problem, unless he did it on purpose. In one of his letters he did call the Eagles "a dangerous 'machine'", one that he preferred to use as sparingly as possible. Which to me means that he was probably well aware that the Eagles could have been used to solve a lot of problems, lol.

With that said, taking Frodo to Mount Doom without Gollum would have been an utterly pointless task anyway. It was Gollum who ultimately destroyed the Ring, albeit accidentally. In the books it's made clear that neither Frodo nor anyone else in Middle-Earth (and that includes Gandalf and Aragorn) had the force of will required to drop the Ring into the fire.
And yes, I'm perfectly aware that this has nothing to do with Masters of the Universe, but I couldn't help myself. :hehe: To get back on topic, uh... I watched some episodes of the show when I was a kid, and... um... I really liked Skeletor.

Last edited:
And there you have it.

So what I'm getting from this conversation is that Stratos couldn't carry Frodo to Snake Mountain because the Iron Throne would have corrupted him, and the plot required Mumm-ra to accompany him. Let me know if I got any of that wrong.

This question again? :whatever: As a massive Tolkien fan let me tell you

that there's no real in-story explanation. Tolkien just kind of forgot to address this problem, unless he did it on purpose. In one of his letters he did call the Eagles "a dangerous 'machine'", one that he preferred to use as sparingly as possible. Which to me means that he was probably well aware that the Eagles could have been used to solve a lot of problems, lol.

With that said, taking Frodo to Mount Doom without Gollum would have been an utterly pointless task anyway. It was Gollum who ultimately destroyed the Ring, albeit accidentally. In the books it's made clear that neither Frodo nor anyone else in Middle-Earth (and that includes Gandalf and Aragorn) had the force of will required to drop the Ring into the fire.
And yes, I'm perfectly aware that this has nothing to do with Masters of the Universe, but I couldn't help myself. :hehe: To get back on topic, uh... I watched some episodes of the show when I was a kid, and... um... I really liked Skeletor.

I'm well aware dude. I love The Lord of the Rings and that question annoys me. The point is it's equally to dumb to point out "well why can't he just ride the Wind Raider instead of using Battle Cat." It's like constantly asking that same question for Lord of the Rings franchise.

Re-watching the first Thor makes me wish they could get Kenneth Brannagh as director but that's not likely to happen...

Brannagh's honestly the first realistic director pick I've heard in awhile.

Aside from Star Wars probably, a lot of the He-Man-esque movies that have been made recently (Warcraft, John Carter) were also huge bombs or at least a mixed bag with critics and audiences, even when their directors showed real talent and passion for the material.

It's one of the reasons why, even if I made a sincere pitch to the studio, I'd wind up spending 80% of my time convincing them why it's a bad idea.

Branagh would be a solid choice alright, but I wonder if he would find this material too much like Thor in terms of the central character and aesthetics (I know it's not the same to us fans, but to a filmmaker there are a lot of similarities) to really come at it with a fresh take.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"