Ghostbusters 3 - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand being attached to Peter, Egon, Ray, Winston, Dana, Janine, Louis, etc.

I don't, however, agree that somehow this new approach is "dispatching" the old team or the old concept. That's a bit much. Those movies still exist, so the mythology is very much intact. The animated series still exists, as do comics stories about them.
And you know what? There are people who didn't grow up on those movies and with those characters. Who don't associate those characters with The Ghostbusters. There are even people who don't know what The Ghostbusters are.

I don’t think there’s a chance this will ever be as good as the original movies. That doesn’t mean it can’t be good.

That said, I’m fairly certain that by the time this movie rolls around, it will likely have some kind of connection to GHOSTBUSTERS and GHOSTBUSTERS II.

I think Sony would be responsible for something like that. Might even get a boy on the team so that it's an easier sell for action figures that you know they want to sell. But I'm still intrigued by the interviews mentioning of how Sony wants this film to happen, but everyone's afraid to touch the property. With Frieg taking over they're going to want to give him some creative control to keep him enticed, but GBs is still their baby and they'll want a say. Look what they did with Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Originally Posted by The Guard
I understand being attached to Peter, Egon, Ray, Winston, Dana, Janine, Louis, etc.

I don't, however, agree that somehow this new approach is "dispatching" the old team or the old concept. That's a bit much. Those movies still exist, so the mythology is very much intact. The animated series still exists, as do comics stories about them.
And you know what? There are people who didn't grow up on those movies and with those characters. Who don't associate those characters with The Ghostbusters. There are even people who don't know what The Ghostbusters are.

I don’t think there’s a chance this will ever be as good as the original movies. That doesn’t mean it can’t be good.

There's people out there who have not seen Star Wars, Star Trek, Indy, Back To The Future, X-Men, Spider-Man etc. No film is watched by everyone.

Why not market to the huge fan base that did see the movie? Which is an extrmely huge amount of movie goers 20 and up. Domestically this flick made more money then BTTF. This is not a small unknown property. Plenty of people young and old know about this.

As far as not existing, they wouldn't anymore in the current franchise. So the mythology would be gone and changed. You see how many X fans still complain even within the changes of DOFP? And those characters are still there haha. Of course the GB fans who like the flick will be pissed if Peter, Ray and Egon are no longer the creators of the team. There's no reason for it when they can still continue in that world even if they are not the focus.

Last edited:
I think we're reaching a tipping point about rebooting/remaking pop culture stuff.

Because of the internet, you can know something without ever having seen it because of forums, memes and general saturation of geekdom.

In terms of sheer numbers more people have seen Reeves Superman than MOS.

As much as I love my childhood, I'm not sure there's a good way to reboot/continue Bill/Ted, Ghostbusters, or Back to the Future. Basically anything late 80s to early 90s.

My favorite 80s reboot I think I've seen was Fright Night. Still had problems but overall it was a solid re invention. Sad thing was it tanked.

The take on Peter Vincent by Tennant was awesome. Not an easy task.

Last edited:
One day they are going to run out of things to remake. In 20 years time what is Hollywood going to do then?

In that case, again I ask: why even use the name Ghostbusters? If there's literally nothing tying the new movie to the 1984 one except for the name, drop the name and come up with something entirely new. You're practically there anyway. That way you don't have to worry about living up to the legacy and you'll be completely free to do whatever you want.

I also question how many people of a younger generation dont know who the ghostbusters are. I'm friends with a young lady 10 years younger than me who's quite clued in to 80's and 90's films. It might be true they dont have as big an attachment to the series as people my age but the awareness is here just like Back to the Future and The Terminator. As has been pointed out you're 95% of the way to creating something original anyway, so just hit 100 and leave Ghostbuster be.

I also question how many people of a younger generation dont know who the ghostbusters are. I'm friends with a young lady 10 years younger than me who's quite clued in to 80's and 90's films. It might be true they dont have as big an attachment to the series as people my age but the awareness is here just like Back to the Future and The Terminator. As has been pointed out you're 95% of the way to creating something original anyway, so just hit 100 and leave Ghostbuster be.

You dog you.

Personally I don't want to see the same story with different actors. I want a new story. I don't want to see Star wars remade I want a new Star Wars story and see what has happened to the characters. Same with Ghostbusters.

I'm so confused as to wherever everyone's getting there information, because last time I checked we had none. Fieg never said he was throwing everything away, just that he wanted to tell an origin story in a world that wasn't already familiar with ghosts. He also said there would be nods to the original, just not to the point of parody, which is a good thing to hear. He wants a new take on the Ghostbusters story with new characters.

When GB was rereleased in theaters not too long ago, us diehards that make up the message boards went to see it and it made, what, $6 million. Not bad for a movie from the 80s, granted, but they want to reach the general audience that'll make it closer to the $100 million mark. We faithful few aren't going to make or break this. As cool as we think GBs is (I'm freaking obsessed with it!) there's a whole generation of folks that aren't able to connect to it like we do.

I think the new team shouldn't be all female. There can be one or two. I don't really want a new Ghostbusters movie to be too different.

Make it like this:
Extreme-Ghostbusters-Cast-1.png

I'm so confused as to wherever everyone's getting there information, because last time I checked we had none. Fieg never said he was throwing everything away, just that he wanted to tell an origin story in a world that wasn't already familiar with ghosts. He also said there would be nods to the original, just not to the point of parody, which is a good thing to hear. He wants a new take on the Ghostbusters story with new characters.

When GB was rereleased in theaters not too long ago, us diehards that make up the message boards went to see it and it made, what, $6 million. Not bad for a movie from the 80s, granted, but they want to reach the general audience that'll make it closer to the $100 million mark. We faithful few aren't going to make or break this. As cool as we think GBs is (I'm freaking obsessed with it!) there's a whole generation of folks that aren't able to connect to it like we do.

But how is the gross of a re released old movie that pretty much every fan already owns, is shown constantly in theatres as part of classic screenings, or can rent for two dollars comparable to a brand new films gross?

Be it Ghostbuster 3 or a complete reboot the thing is getting to at least 100m just based on it being a new Ghostbusters film.

Last edited:
But how is the gross of a re released old movie that pretty much every fan already owns, is shown constantly in theatres as part of classic screenings, or can rent for two dollars comparable to a brand new films gross?

Be it Ghostbuster 3 or a complete reboot the thing is getting to at least 100m just based on it being a new Ghostbusters film.

I was trying to point out that that gross is most likely made up of us diehards who would boycott a Feig reboot. I love Ghostbusters. It's one of the best memories of my childhood. This is the second opportunity to see it in theaters and I was at both, in costume.

Maybe the comment is more a response to those thinking that not connecting this movie to the originals will mean failure, but in reality, we don't make or break this, the quality of film will. We are like those boycotting IM3 because 'our' Mandarin isn't in it. We saw how much that hurt the film.

Sure, but that goes both ways. This movie could suck and peolpe may not like the route.

With they way they want to go in that interview, thats more like saying Tony Stark didn't create Iron Man or wears the suit. Which would have brought amuch stronger backlash as well as dis interest. It would have mattered much more then the villain situation.

The name will grab money regardless for sure, even if this new one is crap. But there is really no obvious answer right now since Ghostbusters is completely unproven to be a success without its leads. I'm willing to bet plenty of people out there besides the ultra hardcore ones still would appreciate a connection or shout out, and will definitely walk out saying they should have had Bill Murray back no matter which route they go. Which just won't happen at all. But that's still indicating people do care.

Last edited:
I think the new team shouldn't be all female. There can be one or two. I don't really want a new Ghostbusters movie to be too different.

Make it like this:
Extreme-Ghostbusters-Cast-1.png

What, you want one or two male Ghostbusters on the team? How sexist...:csad: you must really hate women. I'm sorry, but I have to cry now!

:oldrazz:

(But seriously, I agree)

I mean, that's it. You know how much marketing it takes to get people's awareness that something is coming out? Let alone interest. Most people don't care about David Fincher or Ben Affleck. You adapt Gone Girl cause the book sold millions.

Ghostbusters has high awareness but that's not saying they have high interest in it either.

Playing to people's nostalgia too hard can lead to Indy syndrome where people don't end up with that same feeling as when they saw the first three. But if you're giving them something new, I think people come in with the Abrams Trek mindset of what is it.

But Abrams at least used the original characters in his reboot, we're not even being afforded that. It's more or less an original story that's just leeching off the Ghostbusters name. The worst thing is discarding the original series makes the all-female cast feel more like a gimmick.

Sure, but that goes both ways. This movie could suck and peolpe may not like the route.

With they way they want to go in that interview, thats more like saying Tony Stark didn't create Iron Man or wears the suit. Which would have brought amuch stronger backlash as well as dis interest. It would have mattered much more then the villain situation.

The name will grab money regardless for sure, even if this new one is crap. But there is really no obvious answer right now since Ghostbusters is completely unproven to be a success without its leads. I'm willing to bet plenty of people out there besides the ultra hardcore ones still would appreciate a connection or shout out, and will definitely walk out saying they should have had Bill Murray back no matter which route they go. Which just won't happen at all. But that's still indicating people do care.

Who knows what he'll do, but I get a funny feeling that Murray would be more likely to show up in the movie Feig's putting together than a safe sequel. Who he would be is the question. I vote for a game show host.

In that case, again I ask: why even use the name Ghostbusters? If there's literally nothing tying the new movie to the 1984 one except for the name, drop the name and come up with something entirely new. You're practically there anyway. That way you don't have to worry about living up to the legacy and you'll be completely free to do whatever you want.

Because presumably it's a movie about busting/catching ghosts that will utilize elements of the GHOSTBUSTERS mythology.

Odds are there will be many of the staples of GHOSTBUSTERS lore in the film.

Other than proton packs and traps I'm not sure what else can be used, Ghostbuster isn't exactly rich in mythology. They won't use Marshmallow Man, Gozer, Vigo, any of the characters, maybe Slimer? Dunno, the original characters play a huge part in why the films are as loved as they are. 2 films is not a rich mythology by any means.

Of course he'd show up in the a film that has nothing to do with the original film.

Maybe they will wisen up. If this flick brings a solid new cast, somehow has a script good enough for Murray to reprise the role along with the rest of the available cast, and brings the reemergence of Gozer the gozerian then this thing will make bank and get a **** ton of more positive hype. Which I assume is what the studio would want to happen.
ЯɘvlveR;29901653 said:
does that still make it a reboot?

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/10/08/paul-feig-ghostbusters-female/
So in the universe that you conceived, it’s like the world of the first two movies didn’t exist?
Yeah. I love origin stories. That’s my favorite thing. I love the first one so much I don’t want to do anything to ruin the memory of that. So it just felt like, let’s just restart it because then we can have new dynamics. I want the technology to be even cooler. I want it to be really scary, and I want it to happen in our world today that hasn’t gone through it so it’s like, oh my God what’s going on?
Do you suspect that you might make room for any returning cast member cameos?
Well, I mean, look, those are my comedy heroes. So as far as I’m concerned, anybody wants to come back I welcome with open arms. It would just be in different roles now, but it would be fun to figure out how to do that.
So lets not ruin the memory by completely changing the Ghostbuster origins, ignoring the other films and not letting the creators and actors of the series reprise their characters :huh:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"