Greatest movie cliffhangers ever?

Kevin Roegele

Do you mind if I don't?
Reaction score
I saw Back to the Future II yesterday, and it ends with a hell of a cliffhanger as you are no doubt well aware. It's so beautifully set up....it's a direct repeat of the climax of the original movie, Doc sends Marty back to 1985 in the DeLorean - but then Mary comes running up from nowhere and tells the Doc, "I'm back - back from the future!" Whoa-!

I can't think of a better one.

hmmmmmmmm.............

alright, i can think of a better one but the wait to find out about it is substantially smaller...

right at the beginning of kill bill when the bride tells bill it's his baby right before he shoots her....

i swear i couldn't wait for those beginning sequence to finish soon enough.

i know it's not a cliche end of film cliffhanger but it's a good one nonetheless

How about the end of "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest"?

I STILL want to know how the hell Captain Barbossa came back.

Kevin Roegele said:
I saw Back to the Future II yesterday, and it ends with a hell of a cliffhanger as you are no doubt well aware. It's so beautifully set up....it's a direct repeat of the climax of the original movie, Doc sends Marty back to 1985 in the DeLorean - but then Marty comes running up from nowhere and tells the Doc, "I'm back - back from the future!" Whoa-!

I can't think of a better one.

When I first saw this thread, Back To The Future Part II was immediately the cliffhanger that I thought of. Absolutely classic. :up:

What's funny is it's the same cliffhanger at the end of Super Mario Bros the Movie ! ;)

z0mg! PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN DEADMAN'S CHEST OWNS YOUR SOUL! IT MADE MORE MONEY THAN BTTF PART 2 DID SO IT'S OBVIOUSLY BETTER Z0MG!!!:mad:

Could you count the last scene of Batman Returns? If so that was pretty damn unexpected and cool!

kit1982 said:
Could you count the last scene of Batman Returns? If so that was pretty damn unexpected and cool!

It was cool, but it wasn't a cliffhanger. No character was placed in jeopardy.

All fail in comparison to THE cliffhanger, Empire Strikes Back.

Erzengel said:

Attack of the Clones would have been marginally better with a cliffhanger.

A great cliffhanger with a sh'tty payoff? X-2

Eh, you can add Matrix Reloaded to that too.

Erzengel said:
isn't that more of a big reveal rather than a cliffhanger strictly speaking?

i know that probably also would count for my kill bill entrance but i don't mind being a kamikaze....

It's both actually.

Han is taken away by Fett.
Vader reveals Luke's parentage.

What will happen next?

Erzengel said:
A great cliffhanger with a sh'tty payoff? X-2

Eh, you can add Matrix Reloaded to that too.

You're not kidding about the payoff after X2.

Matrix Reloaded had a good cliffhanger at the end, but definitely felt anti-climatic when it was revealed.

I don't know if Batman Begins' ending can be considered a cliffhanger, but it was definitely nice.

Super_Surfer said:
I don't know if Batman Begins' ending can be considered a cliffhanger, but it was definitely nice.

Yes, it does count as a cliffhanger. Just adds more anticipation for the arrival of the Joker in BB2. :) :up:

X2: X-Men United
Phoenix swimming in the Alkali Lake
Pirates of the Caribbean 2: Dead Man's Chest
The revealing of Captain Barbossa
Batman Begins
Joker's calling card
Back To The Future II
Marty coming back from the future
The Empire Strikes Back
"No, I am your father."
Bride of Chucky
Chucky and Tiffany's baby

From the top of my mind.

Kevin Roegele said:
Attack of the Clones would have been marginally better with a cliffhanger.

Are you trying to say Attack of the Clones would've been better than Empire Strikes Back with a cliffhanger?!?!?! Attack of the Clones is a horrible movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"