His directing credits:
Paradise Alley (1978)
Rocky II (1979)
Rocky III (1982)
Staying Alive (1983)
Rocky IV (1985)
Rocky Balboa (2006)
Rambo (2008)

Yea...that ain't EXACTLY an example of great cinema but most of those movies were pretty good. Secondly, you gotta give the man credit for keeping up with the times. Thats something that most directors can't do. His stuff in the `70s were down to Earth and realistic. Which is how audiences liked it back then. His stuff in the `80s were over the top music videos. Which is what audiences liked back then. And his recent effort, Rambo IV was a dark and gritty movie. Which is what audiences like today. Plus, his montages are the best. Rambo IV had two good ones. And of course lets not forget his greatest montage:
[YT]zmIStBHJvGo[/YT]

:o

Here Here! *Raises Goblet of Norse Mead*

Haha! Gives me goosebumps everytime I see this!

Great training vid! Love it, even though the movie is the worst of the Rocky's IMO.

Sly makes movies for Real Men, that's why he's who he is... I've admired him all my life.

IMBD even has him directing an Edgar Allen Poe biopic... the guy might even have some diversity...

Sly makes movies for Real Men, that's why he's who he is... I've admired him all my life.

Me too. Very sad that Hollywood loves to trash this guy all the time. True he has made some crappy movies...but hello...so has every other actor out there.

Clooney...Batman and Robin.
Ford...lots to pick from, but I will say Firewall.
Pitt...Uh...anything this guys does is crap. Sorry for those Pitt fans out there. I havent liked him in ANYTHING except Fight Club.
Cruise...do I even have to go there?

So to pick on Stallone...very unfair. He has done some great work, and its gone unnoticed.

Or tommy Lee jones, another schumacher batman alum who recently starred in No Country for Old Men...

I honestly never truly appreciated how badass some of these old school actors were until we got so many teeny bopper romance nonsense that just came in like a flood after titanic... Yep I blame titanic. I could sense a trend in movies trying to emulate that film's romance/action aspect, even Transformers did this, but finally we're getting back to just drama coming from badass moments of live or die, kill or be killed. thank the maker.

Or tommy Lee jones, another schumacher batman alum who recently starred in No Country for Old Men...

I honestly never truly appreciated how badass some of these old school actors were until we got so many teeny bopper romance nonsense that just came in like a flood after titanic... Yep I blame titanic. I could sense a trend in movies trying to emulate that film's romance/action aspect, even Transformers did this, but finally we're getting back to just drama coming from badass moments of live or die, kill or be killed. thank the maker.

To get to the broader picture here... the action heroes genre is dead... nothing left to say... all the big time actors are just doing all these majorly complex roles these days that we are missing the old school action stars... so movies have become sophisticated... I guess that might be a good thing... but we need those kinds of type cast guys in there in Hollywood... we moved past the Stallones', Arnolds', Willis' of the world... I mean I am trying to think here... when was the last great action movie/film other than comic book films or fantasy genres... I can't think of one... hopefully the Rock will actually do something good one of these days... but he has been doing crap if you ask me personally... hopefully we will look back at his Mummy days as we did with Arnold's Conan days and his best action movies are still ahead of him... also Vin Deisel needs to get off his ass and give us a kick ass action flick (not thinking Riddick here guys... sorry)... and can guys like Mathew Mcoughnahey stop doing the love comedies with Kate Hudson... the guy seriously needs to do more action films... not like he is a great actor or anything though I am not sure he can pull off that tough guy mentality... that said we need an American action star...

I think he's a really good director and I've always loved the movies he directed and especially his writing. I think he should go the Eastwood route and direct his next projects. Then nobody else else will control the quality of his movies aside from himself.

He's now become one of my favorite filmmaers. RAMBO and ROCKY BALBOA are two of my favorite films, and the films he's directed that aren't great are still highly entertaining.

I can't wait for his Death Wish.

Ha!

I think he should go the Eastwood route and direct his next projects. Then nobody else else will control the quality of his movies aside from himself.

It's too late for him to be the next Eastwood. Eastwood was directing for 20 years before people started respecting him as a filmmaker.

Me too. Very sad that Hollywood loves to trash this guy all the time. True he has made some crappy movies...but hello...so has every other actor out there.

Clooney...Batman and Robin.
Ford...lots to pick from, but I will say Firewall.
Pitt...Uh...anything this guys does is crap. Sorry for those Pitt fans out there. I havent liked him in ANYTHING except Fight Club.
Cruise...do I even have to go there?

So to pick on Stallone...very unfair. He has done some great work, and its gone unnoticed.

What about 12 Monkeys?

The main problem is actors aren't sticking with what makes them good. I honestly felt Vin Deisel, & Dwayne Johnson could have been great action stars, but they kept wanting to branch out.

I don't understand what is so wrong with just doing what you are good at?

its nice that sly and arnold are now friends.

I really enjoyed Rocky Balboa. I think it is severly underrated and under appreciated.

His directing credits:
Paradise Alley (1978)
Rocky II (1979)
Rocky III (1982)
Staying Alive (1983)
Rocky IV (1985)
Rocky Balboa (2006)
Rambo (2008)

Yea...that ain't EXACTLY an example of great cinema

Er... more like this IS an example of great cinema.

The Rocky film's are all amazing, save for No V.
The best montage is the training sequence from Rocky II.

not always. they even talked on some show years back.

Well...they've been friends for a while. Don't forget that they were co-owners (with Bruce Willis) of Planet Hollywood.

i meant 80's beginning of the 90's.

I only wish Stallone had directed more movies throughout his career. He's a terrific writer, and he's really coming into his own as a director now, especially with his recent work. I'd like to see him stay behind the camera for a while and continue directing. His Poe movie is a perfect opportunity to really expand his exposure as a director, but that seems to be a ways off in the distance for him.

I agree. Sly is a pretty good director. I'd like to see him do more behind the camera work.

Are you insinuating that Cobra is anything less than amazing?

I don't know about that. Keep in mind that he was the guy who wrote this:

Hey man... that's classic 80's action (and dialog) right there... my favorite quote:

Night Slasher: You want to go to hell? Huh, pig? You want to go to hell with me? It doesn't matter, does it? We are the hunters. We kill the weak so the strong survive. You can't stop the New World. Your filthy society will never get rid of people like us. It's breeding them! WE ARE THE FUTURE!
Marion Cobretti: No!
Marion Cobretti: You're history.

(from IMDB.com)

Effin' hilarious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee