Guest Golf Anchor says Tiger Woods should be lynched

Asgard

Kanga Fu
Reaction score
Link

What is it about Duke? Okay, maybe that's not fair. But it did make me scratch my head and wonder when I read what Kelly Tilghman (pictured with Arnold Palmer), a former Blue Devil golfer, said on the Golf Channel last Friday during her gig as co-lead announcer for the network's telecast of the Mercedes-Benz Championship, the PGA Tour's inaugural event of the season. I have not seen the clip, nor do I know the context of the remarks. This is what I know -- that Tilghman, who never played on the LPGA Tour, said golf's young players should "lynch Tiger Woods in a back alley."
Had Woods been white, to use the most heinous crime committed in this nation to illustrate God-knows-what point would have been egregious. But that he's not makes the remark unconscionable. And punishable.
It would be a travesty if Tilghman is allowed to broadcast the next event for the Golf Channel. (It speaks volumes already that she was allowed to sit on the air all day Saturday, as if nothing happened. She then offered an on-air apology on Sunday but still did the entire telecast.)
At minimum, a suspension is in order. Some will surely call for a firing. If the network does nothing -- just months after the Jena Six dominated the nation's airwaves -- it would make a significant statement about the network's tolerance of such actions. A statement that would hurt the sport of golf and rekindle memories of a racist history that Woods' success has helped it begin to move past.
Doing nothing would remind us of Fuzzy Zoeller
Doing nothing would remind us of Shoal Creek.
Doing nothing would not be smart.
Okay, so it's just the Golf Channel. And Kelly Tilghman is simply a hottie that was given an opportunity to anchor a telecast because she can swing a golf club.
That is not the point. Tolerance at any level cannot be tolerated.
Your move, GC.
Tilghman has reportedly reached out to Woods to apologize. Here's hoping, at least for the moment -- until the Golf Channel makes its statement -- that he does not accept the call. Or the apology.

What an idiot. I haven't seen the broadcast, but from her quote I think she was trying to make a lame attempt at a joke about killing Tiger so that younger golfers will have better success at tournaments. The joke is just bad any way you look at it, so using some other method of killing wouldn't have made it any better, but this lady should have taken into account that there was a time when hanging black people for minor or perceived transgressions was very common.

Well, at least she apologized. Nevertheless, she should be fired

She's from Duke.

Can her ass

She's not that hot! Lynch her!

Wow. Shank that b1tch with a nine iron! :down

jag

I don't really think she meant it. Just a horrible choice of words.

I don't really think she meant it. Just a horrible choice of words.

Sometimes i think people are too sensitive about this stuff. Before i get a lecture on how African Americans suffered for much of the existence of the United States and dont appreciate racism, i think it's safe to assume that this girl is hardly a blatant racist and is just an idiot.

Poor choice of words

Not Don Imus or Jimmy the Greek here.

I'm sure the thought never even occured to her that referencing Lynching towards a black man would not be a great career decision. But again this isn't Don Imus's blatant racial insult or Jimmy the Greek going on a slavery rant!

Hhahaah what a dumbass

To clarify, I want her shanked with a nine iron for being debilitatingly stupid. :up:

jag

"Like, OMG, they should like, totally lynch Tiger in a back alley! Hehehehehe!"

"WTF, Becca, I so, totally did not know that lynching was offensive to blacks....I didn't know any of them ever got lynched, OMG!!!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunStorm333
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"