Guillermo del Toro on the Status of Hellboy 2

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=15580

Source: Blake Wright
July 21, 2006

Director Guillermo del Toro told San Diego Comic-Con attendees Friday that he was hopeful that Hellboy 2 would get a green light in the future, but the current status of the project is still up in the air. He said that trying to find a home for the second movie in a franchise has proved taxing, but he is excited about the script, which has the seal of approval from "Hellboy" creator Mike Mignola.

"I hope it gets made, but that is really all I can say right now," said del Toro.

Mignola added that the subject matter visited in the Hellboy 2 script, which is still hush-hush, echoes some of the same themes near-future "Hellboy" comic books will be exploring. The pair were mum on exactly what those themes would be, but the topics of folklore and mythology came up several times during the presentation.

Del Toro previously said that the project had moved from Sony to Paramount.

Not too many people hang out in the Hellboy forums anymore. :(

I hope that if Hellboy 2 gets picked up, it has a little more of a Pan's Labyrinth feel to it; I want the movie to have that kind of rich palpable atmosphere to it.

hellboy should be picked up it was a pretty kool movie
even if it did suck it should still be made. i mean look at the hulk

This isnt really positive news is it, i'm starting to lose my faith in this project ever getting off the ground.

I hopefully got an interview arranged with Guillermo sometime in the near future. We were going to arrange one while at Comic-Con but he had to leave before we could, so we're arranging a phone interview later. I'm going to do my best not to stir up this subject too much, but I think it really needs to be strewn about to try and get it back on the ground. He talked about it off and on at Comic-Con in the few panels he was involved in, but really nothing solid. Hopefully something big and interesting will come out soon! I think he's waiting for Pan's Labyrinth to come out and to finish whatever movie he just started working on (and talked about scouting locations for).

buddha182 said:
I hopefully got an interview arranged with Guillermo sometime in the near future. We were going to arrange one while at Comic-Con but he had to leave before we could, so we're arranging a phone interview later. I'm going to do my best not to stir up this subject too much, but I think it really needs to be strewn about to try and get it back on the ground. He talked about it off and on at Comic-Con in the few panels he was involved in, but really nothing solid. Hopefully something big and interesting will come out soon! I think he's waiting for Pan's Labyrinth to come out and to finish whatever movie he just started working on (and talked about scouting locations for).

I think he's working on The Witches next. Of course, he's rumored to be involved in so many things that if all the rumors were true, he'd be working steady for a decade or two without even getting to Hellboy.

He's scouting for At the Mountains of Madness. Trying to get that budgeted.

monkeygust said:
He's scouting for At the Mountains of Madness. Trying to get that budgeted.

And now he's producing Deadman and a TV series for Fox.

Where he's finding the time, I'm not sure.

Hellboy 2 pretty much feels dead right now. More than ever.

We have the animated movies though.

I didn't expect Hellboy to go beyond a first movie. It's really not franchise material. I think Del Toro tried too hard to make the movie more appealing to the masses. Which didn't really work since it didn't make a lot of money.

Studios aren't going to finance it because this is NOT a lucrative brand or franchise at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"