Comics Guilt,Love or Both?

Donald Thomas

The Black ArachKnight
Reaction score
Aloha,
A while ago, a poster felt that Peter's deal with Mephisto was out of guilt and him not wanting to feel bad about Aunt May. So my question is
Did Peter become Spider-Man out of Guilt for not stopping the burglar who later killed Uncle Ben.Love for Uncle Ben and his memory or both?Spidey rules

Aloha,
A while ago, a poster felt that Peter's deal with Mephisto was out of guilt and him not wnating to feel bad about Aunt MAy. So my question is
Did Peter become Spider-Man out of Guilt for not stoipping the burglar who later killed Uncle Ben.Love for Uncle Ben and his memory or both?
Spidey rules

I'd say it was both.

There was guilt that he allowed the man who would go on to kill his Uncle Ben to go free when he could have stopped him. Peter didn't want to feel that same guilt when he knew there were similar bad men out there that he could stop who, if he allowed them to run free, would go on to harm the loved ones of other people.

Similarly, he became Spider-Man out of love and respect for his uncle. That saying - "With great power comes great responsibility." - was to become something more for him. Peter didn't want his uncle's death to be meaningless, and part of him felt the best way to honor Ben would be to see that his death didn't become useless - it led to something greater. Ben may have passed on, but each time Peter dawned the costume he was, in a way, honoring his uncle.

And now whenever he puts on his costume, he is honoring his deal with the devil.

See, they really altered his motivations here currently. He didn't want aunt may to die because he didn't want to personally feel guilty. It wasn't out of plain love for her and not wanting her to die in general. He was worried about himself more when you get down to it.

His guilt here trumped his love for aunt may and his wife.

But, yeh, for Ben it was the opposite. Logically, with more time spent in life around his aunt, good storytelling would share the SAME motivation....out of love...and less about HIM.

Aloha,
A while ago, a poster felt that Peter's deal with Mephisto was out of guilt and him not wanting to feel bad about Aunt May.

Well, regardless of feelings, it is outright stated in # 545 that is the reason for Pete's dilemma in OMD. Period.

Pete: "If this was a case of natural causes, a heart attack, old age, that would be one thing. I think... I could even accept that. But that's not what happened.

She got hit by a bullet meant for me. That would never have been fired if not for the things I've done.

I'm responsible, MJ. Even if I'm not, even if we argue all the logical ways I'm not... in my heart, I am. And if that's what kills her-- I couldn't live with that. I just couldn't live with myself. I'd break in two."

So we have two situations at completely opposite ends of the spectrum of personality:
Pete became Spidey out of Love for Ben-- not wanting to fail him again-- and out of a sense of social responsibility- not wanting to allow the needless suffering of other Uncle Bens and their loved ones.

However, Pete made a deal with the Devil, not out of a sense of anything other than to ease his own conscience. It is the EXACT opposite of taking responsibility. It's avoiding responsibility to soothe himself.

"With great power comes great responsibility*"

*Unless you can't handle the responsibility of your actions and make a deal with the Devil.

I don't think Stan would have added that caveat. I don't think Peter Parker would have either.

bnd_masthead.jpg

from
http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?t=205488

I'd say guilt at first, then he realizes that he loves other people's lives as he went along, which made him a stronger hero.

At first it was ego... (The showbiz era... I'm going to look out for #1, ME!) Then it is guilt, cause he WAS a JERK... and because of his selfish actions Uncle Ben died... WGPCGR... The guilt ridden Peter... Spidey was born out of Ego... The Hero was born out of guilt... The Devil Dealer was born out of Irresponsibility...

Both, he loved Uncle Ben so much and when he faield to sotp the Burglar, he felt that he was responsible. His actions affected what happened.

I'm not sure I agree with any of those options.

I've always thought it was more out of a sense of duty. Which I wouldn't quite classify as guilt.

Sure he felt guilty after Ben had died. But then he had learned his lesson that it was his duty to use his power responsibly.

That probably doesn't make much sense.

It was originally Guilt. We all know that Peter Parker has an unbelievable guilt complex. He became Spider-man out of guilt for his Uncle. He felt responsible for what happened. So yes, it was guilt.

Later on through the years it naturally changed to Love and so on....

But at the start, he was Spider-man out of guilt for his Uncle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"