Hardcore Ghost Rider Film

KTKomedy2813

Civilian
Reaction score
Hey, did you hate how Columbia handled the Ghost Rider films? Well, I feel there should be another Ghost Rider franchise, but this time produced by Marvel Studios and done right, as a hardcore, big-budget, R-rated gorefest.

If you want to see this happen in the future, with Marvel producing a gruesome Ghost Rider film, who would you want to direct, and why?

The Ghost Rider films were terrible. I wouldn't exactly call a lack of gruesome violence one of their biggest issues.

Because MARVEL would be able to make more money by appealing to less people?

Because MARVEL would be able to make more money by appealing to less people?

It's all about the allocation of funds. If Marvel could give there Ghost Rider film a Blade 1 or 2 level budget and Targeted there advertisement towards a similar demographics as Blade then it could work.

I do think GR should be borderline R-rated, because he has a flaming skull as his head, for starter. However, what GR really needs are a competent director with a great script, and a cast that isn't cringe-worthy (yes Nick Cage, I'm looking at you). But I think a superhero movie where the hero has a CGI head and deals with demons and such is already fighting an uphill battle to begin with, and Sony hasn't proved that they know what to do with this franchise yet.

I do think GR should be borderline R-rated, because he has a flaming skull as his head, for starter. However, what GR really needs are a competent director with a great script, and a cast that isn't cringe-worthy (yes Nick Cage, I'm looking at you). But I think a superhero movie where the hero has a CGI head and deals with demons and such is already fighting an uphill battle to begin with, and Sony hasn't proved that they know what to do with this franchise yet.

The concept is "high" enough, and still has all kinds of cool factor to the right demographic. It's just that the demographic is NOT PG or even PG-13 material. Ghost Rider is about sheer horror, nightmares, bloody justice and retribution, and full-on heavy metal. ZZ Top doesn't belong on a GR soundtrack; Black Sabbath, Slayer, Cannibal Corpse and Death do. Until you get a writer and director who both understands and embraces that, the franchise will never work.

They should let Stephen Norrington have a crack at it since his wsas the best Blade movie. Maybe he could oversee the Marvel Monsters films (Morbius, Werewolf by Night, etc.).

It will take a while for the property to live down two awful Nick Cage movies. I think we're looking at the quarter century mark for a new Ghost Rider film to finally escape the baggage of the original and work.

Last edited:
I think the problem with a hard R-rated Ghost Rider film is that it doesn't make a ton of sense from a business perspective. Horror movies are typically low budget affairs, which works for the majority of them. They can still turn a profit even though the R-rating limits the available audience.

The problem this presents for Ghost Rider is that the film is going to inherently require a larger budget, probably $100M - $120M to do the character right. I haven't seen SOV, but I heard that GR only makes a few appearance. In the next film you really need it to be about GR, and not Johnny Blaze, so that means GR throughout the majority of the movie. That's going to be expensive.

Why is Phil Tippett on this list? He didn't direct Jurassic Park or Starship Troopers. He did visual effects for them.

Why is Phil Tippett on this list? He didn't direct Jurassic Park or Starship Troopers. He did visual effects for them.

But he can be a good director, as seen in his shorts "It Lurks" and "MutantLand".

I loved the GR effects work and direction in the past film, but Nick Cage is poison IMO in these adoptions. Hire a young unknown actor, make it much more R rated and horror based, and aim low. GR is never going to be huge like Spider-man or the Avengers, so don't expect the stars.

While I want to see a hard-core GR film, Marvel are never going to do it and it has less chance of being successful while still needing a biggish budget.

GR can work in PG-13 territory as he is fighting demons often enough so blood and guts arent necessary, but it needs a better vision than the first movie and especially the terrible 2nd gave us.

I wonder how long it will take for price of CG to go down far enough to allow Ghost Rider to become a TV series. I think this format could work very well.

Marvel should make a Blade/Dr. Strange/Ghost Rider film even though it seems DC is already doing something like that.

I wonder how long it will take for price of CG to go down far enough to allow Ghost Rider to become a TV series. I think this format could work very well.

maybe an animated series, maybe on mtv or adult swim or something so they don't have to shy away from hell oriented subject matter.

Evil Dead / Evil Dead 2 Sam Raimi would be perfect. GR is the kind of property that gets sillier the more serious you treat it. I was on board when I heard the Crank guys were doing GR2 but it was way too watered down. 80s Raimi would strike the perfect balance between horror and comedy.

I have yet to watch both Ghost Rider films. Are they worth watching? I was never really interested in the character.

The second one was easily the biggest piece of **** I've seen since my last BM. The first was at least entertaining. Still bad though.

Darker isn't ALWAYS the route to go and while this is Ghost Rider we're talking about I think the tone of the first one was just fine. It just didn't need Nic Cage. And the story could've been fleshed out more. It was kinda dull.

^I just think GR himself wasnt serious enough in the first movie, GR shouldnt be quipping, he should just be getting on with what he does best. Other than that I actually enjoyed the first movie, it was a lot better than the 2nd movie.

I want Ghost Rider to look like this, collar and all. I also want him to be 7 ft tall.
ts.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"