• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Hardest Movies to watch.

The Rings trilogy is getting hard to watch. No self-sacrifice, no one dies, and thus it feels like the quest has no weight or meaning to it. In terms of being nausea fuel, Audition. Tetsuo is too bizarre for me to handle.

i don't want to come down on one side or the other of who's pretentious or who's ADD or whatever, but i will just say that i personally love 2001 (in my Top 5, ever) and Tree of Life (in my Top 100). i totally understand why someone would be bored (though i thought this topic was more about movies that are brutal, not boring, but i could be wrong) but for me the technical craft of the filmmaking alone is so virtuosic it keeps me rapt, like listening to a great symphony. so on that surface level i never get bored, while after you watch the film there are many interesting themes and concepts to consider and discuss. also, there's something to be said for originality, and while i wouldn't claim that either film is totally original (no piece of art ever really is), 2001 comes as close as any movie i've seen and Tree of Life, well, you just don't see many movies like that these days. so while movies are constantly coming out that follow the same rhythms and templates and formulas, a film that offers something a bit more distinctive and unique...well, there's something inherently valuable there, whether you appreciated or enjoyed the film or not.

but this is all coming from a guy whose favorite director of all time, by a mile, is Andrei Tarkovsky. some of you'd probably bash your own heads in after about 20 minutes of Stalker. :cool:

Dark Water (remake) and Ghost Rider 2 felt like chores to watch.

The Rings trilogy is getting hard to watch. No self-sacrifice, no one dies, and thus it feels like the quest has no weight or meaning to it.

huh?

you aren't talking about Lord of the Rings are you?

characters are making sacrifices left and right in those movies, not to mention the deaths of Gandalf (sure, he comes back, but it's basically a new version of him), Boromir, Theoden, etc...

I think that the reason that many people find movies like 2001 or the Godfather "boring" is that the style of filmmaking is different today. You rarely see longer, slower-paced movies like those anymore. Filmmakers and studios believe that films need to be faster paced and have things going on constantly. Also, three hour movies are studio's greatest fear these days. Those older movies took their time, built things up, and didn't throw things in your face every five minutes. That's why I love them.

i don't want to come down on one side or the other of who's pretentious or who's ADD or whatever, but i will just say that i personally love 2001 (in my Top 5, ever) and Tree of Life (in my Top 100). i totally understand why someone would be bored (though i thought this topic was more about movies that are brutal, not boring, but i could be wrong) but for me the technical craft of the filmmaking alone is so virtuosic it keeps me rapt, like listening to a great symphony. so on that surface level i never get bored, while after you watch the film there are many interesting themes and concepts to consider and discuss. also, there's something to be said for originality, and while i wouldn't claim that either film is totally original (no piece of art ever really is), 2001 comes as close as any movie i've seen and Tree of Life, well, you just don't see many movies like that these days. so while movies are constantly coming out that follow the same rhythms and templates and formulas, a film that offers something a bit more distinctive and unique...well, there's something inherently valuable there, whether you appreciated or enjoyed the film or not.

but this is all coming from a guy whose favorite director of all time, by a mile, is Andrei Tarkovsky. some of you'd probably bash your own heads in after about 20 minutes of Stalker. :cool:

:up:

As far as movies that are difficult to watch- For varying reasons:

Greenberg
Tiny Furniture
Me and you and everyone we know
The Future
Frances Ha

in Kane's defense to something said earlier, i don't think he meant the term "tasteless" to apply to 2001 or Tree of Life but rather to some of the other films included in his list. i think those he was just calling "boring," which is fine, whatever, i don't feel that way at all, but different strokes, y'know.

I think that the reason that many people find movies like 2001 or the Godfather "boring" is that the style of filmmaking is different today. You rarely see longer, slower-paced movies like those anymore. Filmmakers and studios believe that films need to be faster paced and have things going on constantly. Also, three hour movies are studio's greatest fear these days. Those older movies took their time, built things up, and didn't throw things in your face every five minutes. That's why I love them.

Correct. This is what modern audiences have been conditioned to expect. When a film doesn't align with these sensibilities, it's labelled as "boring"- Hence my comments about pandering to the lowest common denominator. It's not an insult (if one chooses to take it as such, that's on them), it's exactly what's happening.

:up:
Me and you and everyone we know

oh, dude, i so agree with you on that one. i saw that in the theater (i really can't remember why, i don't recall ever having a desire to see it before it came out) and it was like torture for me. the quirk, the unbelievable, overbearing, yet somehow-still-taking-itself-very-seriously quirk...

in Kane's defense to something said earlier, i don't think he meant the term "tasteless" to apply to 2001 or Tree of Life but rather to some of the other films included in his list. i think those he was just calling "boring," which is fine, whatever, i don't feel that way at all, but different strokes, y'know.

Yes, I understand that the tasteless label applied to films like "Antichrist".

He called them boring, yes. Which, like you said is fine. Some opinions are informed, others are uninformed.

oh, dude, i so agree with you on that one. i saw that in the theater (i really can't remember why, i don't recall ever having a desire to see it before it came out) and it was like torture for me. the quirk, the unbelievable, overbearing, yet somehow-still-taking-itself-very-seriously quirk...

Overbearingly twee and patronizing. Vomit. Which reminds me, I should add "Juno" to my list as well.

huh?

you aren't talking about Lord of the Rings are you?

characters are making sacrifices left and right in those movies, not to mention the deaths of Gandalf (sure, he comes back, but it's basically a new version of him), Boromir, Theoden, etc...

Theoden's scene at the grave was beautifully done. Thank you for reminding me of that one. Theoden aside, I was referring to the Fellowship. One death when you're marching against an all-powerful Dark Lord feels unrealistic. I don't count Gandalf's, though it could have been improved if his return were cast in a tragic light - like that of an elderly man falling victim to Alzhiemer's. Rather than simply returning and knowing what must be done, Gandalf would be uncertain of his purpose, rapidly losing memories of his life as Gandalf the Gray.

I digress. Yes, I am referring to Lord of the Rings.

i suppose that's fair in one sense but, on the other hand, if they had killed off more Fellowship members when those characters didn't die in the books, the Tolkien fans would have been screaming bloody murder. literally. PJ did introduce some extra secondary characters to kill off, like the Elven captain who dies at Helm's Deep or Faramir's lieutenant who dies near the beginning of RotK. and, frankly, i don't think they needed to part from the book and kill off more of the main characters, there are different kinds of self-sacrifice beyond characters dying. Frodo sacrifices a part of his soul to be the Ring-bearer (a fact that gets externally symbolized when Gollum bites off the finger with the Ring on it); the other Hobbits sacrifice their lives of comfort to help Frodo (especially Samwise); even though no one major gets killed, the final charge of Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, and Gandalf with the soldiers of Minas Tirith was effectively a suicide mission until the Ring was destroyed. also, Arwen sacrifices immortality and being with her people because of her love for Aragorn. and a lot more.

Okay, some will sound...well, you've heard of some of these before, so don't be surprised, but :

LOTR (I like them, really I do, and FOTR is one of my favorites, but they're so freaking long that I don't watch them that often.)
After reading The Shining, I don't watch the Kubrick Version as much
Director's cut of Butterfly Effect
Antichrist
Any movie not starring Nicholas Cage... :o

I wish I could laugh, but nah those films put me to sleep. So painfully boring. I still wonder how I got through with those films.

I never have made it through Tree of Life. I tried 3 times, and every time I got about 20 mins more in and just couldn't bare it any more.

I mean, I get it... it's got some nice shots. But when I watch a film like that, it's like i'm watching a slideshow of someone's photography.

My personal enjoyment of film, first and foremost, comes from incredible stories. A narrative that is beautiful and well constructed. A script full of dialogue that speaks to me or is incredible well written.

When a film has that as it's basis, it then becomes an INCREDIBLE movie to me when a great 'photography reel' accompanies it (if you get what I mean).

But a film like Tree of Life, to me, seems like a film that is missing a vital component. And because of that, I struggle to watch it. It is boring to me.

Trying to suggest that anyone who cannot engage with this type of film has a short attention span or doesn't like to think, is undoubtedly pretentious and downright rude.

For the record I LOVE to think. But I find that the films that make me think are the ones questioning things with their words... not the ones showing me pretty pictures, no matter how technically well constructed and strung together those pictures are.

Last edited:
I love Malick's films , but I'm not going to cry foul whenever someone calls them boring or aimless. That's been a longstanding criticism of his work.

Last edited:
RZ's Holloween II - Not only is the film atrocious but it is just vile and tasteless for no damn reason.

Hostel - Just excessively disgusting...again for no reason.

Rosemary's Baby - Great horror film but too disturbing to watch more than once imo

Eden Lake - Pretty good film as well but I wouldn't watch it gain

Schindler's List - One of the most depressing film ever

in my opinion, Tree of Life does have a great narrative, it's just not a very conventional one. there are ideas and feelings and connections that the movie is trying to make purely through image and sound, as opposed to exposition, dialogue, and plotting. not that there's anything wrong with the latter, i love a ton of films that emphasize those aspects, but there is room for both types of movies in my library and, personally, i wish there were more films that tried to emphasize the visual in their art...it is a visual medium, after all, and the control over image and the way images are put together (Tarkovsky called it "sculpting in time") is what separates film from other art forms like music, theater, literature, etc. all films are inherently visual, but so many of them follow fairly standard, conventionalized patterns for shooting and editing because they're busy focusing on plot points and dialogue. filmmakers who allow the visuals and montage to do most (and sometimes all) of the talking, to evoke a variety of intellectual or emotional stimuli that can be ambiguous or astoundingly resonant, are simply trying to tap into the highest form of potential in film. now, that happens to varying degrees of success, of course, and that doesn't automatically make those types of movies "better" than the more conventional ones, but it is a very worthwhile pursuit for the directors who are gifted in that fashion.

Except that I also enjoy modern, well made action flicks.

That's the thing. You've jumped the conclusion that I'm posturing as some elitist cinephile, when really, I'm railing against the ignorance of labelling thoughtful, well made films as "tedious" or "agonizingly boring" as though it were fact.

When you list movies like 2001, Citizen Kane or the Thin Red Line as "absolutely boring" and "tasteless", the problem doesn't lie with the movie. The problem lies with you. Sorry.

Like the stereotype of the internet fanboy jumping to conclusions (quite incorrectly, might I add) and labelling anyone who would dare decry "Man of Steel" or "Transformers" as garbage, as "pretentious hipsters". You're right! Looking at some responses, it fits like a glove!

Your attitude is literally elitist, canonizing certain films as irreproachable.

As I said myself in this thread, I have absolutely no problem watching 2001 and at times find it odd that people do but there a number of completely valid reasons people may find it boring.

Some of the extended effects shots of ships docking and the like are arguably indulgent.Aside from HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey is pretty much lacking in characters. The film of course is largely telling more of a macro-scale story of humanity rather than the story of Dave Bowman, but such abstraction doesn't necessarily lend itself to being particularly engaging for many people. That isn't a problem. People can completely recognize 2001 as both a thematic and technical achievement but really not feel it necessary to seek it out very often or ever again.

Last edited:
Your attitude is literally elitist, canonizing certain films as irreproachable.

As I said myself in this thread, I have absolutely no problem watching 2001 and at times find it odd that people do but there a number of completely valid reasons people may find it boring.

Some of the extended effects shots of ships docking and the like are arguably indulgent.Aside from HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey is pretty much lacking in characters. The film of course is largely telling more of a macro-scale story of humanity rather than the story of Dave Bowman, but such abstraction doesn't necessarily lend itself to being particularly engaging for many people. That isn't a problem. People can completely recognize 2001 as both a thematic and technical achievement but really not feel it necessary to seek it out very often or ever again.

Forget about recognition and appreciation! Calling a film "unbelievably boring" and turning it off before finishing it, tells me that one has failed to even put the bare minimum of effort into understanding what the film makers are attempting to communicate to the audience.

That's just ignorance. It's harsh, I know. But the truth hurts. Sadly, it's become an epidemic.

in my opinion, Tree of Life does have a great narrative, it's just not a very conventional one. there are ideas and feelings and connections that the movie is trying to make purely through image and sound, as opposed to exposition, dialogue, and plotting. not that there's anything wrong with the latter, i love a ton of films that emphasize those aspects, but there is room for both types of movies in my library and, personally, i wish there were more films that tried to emphasize the visual in their art...it is a visual medium, after all, and the control over image and the way images are put together (Tarkovsky called it "sculpting in time") is what separates film from other art forms like music, theater, literature, etc. all films are inherently visual, but so many of them follow fairly standard, conventionalized patterns for shooting and editing because they're busy focusing on plot points and dialogue. filmmakers who allow the visuals and montage to do most (and sometimes all) of the talking, to evoke a variety of intellectual or emotional stimuli that can be ambiguous or astoundingly resonant, are simply trying to tap into the highest form of potential in film. now, that happens to varying degrees of success, of course, and that doesn't automatically make those types of movies "better" than the more conventional ones, but it is a very worthwhile pursuit for the directors who are gifted in that fashion.

No it certainly does not!

Kudos to an excellent post!!!

If I'm an elitist (and I'm certainly not. lol), then those that would call Tree of Life "pretentious" or "boring" are also elitist (albeit at the other end of the spectrum) in a different way. Because it is unconventional and it doesn't adhere to many of the standard tropes, cliches, rigidly plotted, three act structure wherein everything is explained to the audience in an easy to understand manner, it is instantly "pretentious" or "boring" (and don't get me wrong, there are movies that the above applies to that are garbage).

This is the reason that movies like Hulk (2003) are a failure with the general audience.

Forget about recognition and appreciation! Calling a film "unbelievably boring" and turning it off before finishing it, tells me that one has failed to even put the bare minimum of effort into understanding what the film makers are attempting to communicate to the audience.

That's just ignorance. It's harsh, I know. But the truth hurts. Sadly, it's become an epidemic.

It's not ignorance at all.

Personally, I have a 20 minute rule. I never turn a film off before i've seen at least the first 20 minutes. And if that 20 minutes have given me absolutely no reason to continue watching, or i'm finding it a chore rather than enjoying myself, I will turn it off.

You don't have to force yourself to sit through something your not enjoying :whatever:

And you know what, I find that it's your kind of attitude that makes it more difficult to find HONEST film opinion.

People are so afraid of being considered dumb by people like you for not 'getting a movie', that they will praise a film that actually did nothing for them.

I completely agree.

As I said, I do understand why people would enjoy these films from an artistic stand point.

Heck that's WHY I tried so hard to continue to watch it, because I could see that there was something to it. I try with a lot of films like this. The latest one was Upstream Color, and I got to about 30 mins to the end before literally letting out a moan of frustration and turning it off because I was just simply unbearably bored and couldn't take anymore.

Doesn't mean I didn't see the things about the film that were good. It just means there wasn't enough there to appeal to me personally.

This is a thread about movies that are hard to watch.

And OF COURSE films that do something risky or different with the art form are going to end up in here. They aren't going to work for everybody, and they aren't trying to.

But their enjoyment is a PERSONAL TASTE. Not an indication of a persons intelligence level.

Last edited:
imo its just the pace and style of those old films is not even remotely comparable to modern movies.

I watched Citizen Kane and for me its also boring as hell, but I can totally understand why people praise that thing.. and to some extend I'm also in awe what they did with make-up and cinematography..

I completely agree.

As I said, I do understand why people would enjoy these films from an artistic stand point.

Heck that's WHY I tried so hard to continue to watch it, because I could see that there was something to it. I try with a lot of films like this. The latest one was Upstream Color, and I got to about 30 mins to the end before literally letting out a moan of frustration and turning it off because I was just simply unbearably bored and couldn't take anymore.

Doesn't mean I didn't see the things about the film that were good. It just means there wasn't enough there to appeal to me personally.

This is a thread about movies that are hard to watch.

And OF COURSE films that do something risky or different with the art form are going to end up in here. They aren't going to work for everybody, and they aren't trying to.

But their enjoyment is a PERSONAL TASTE. Not an indication of a persons intelligence level.

agreed. i mean, i do think there are situations where intelligence level MIGHT be an obstacle to a person or audience's appreciation of a certain work, but far be it from me to be the judge of when that is or isn't the case. and i know that there are plenty of VERY intelligent and even film-literate people who actively dislike or are bored silly by many films that i dearly love. and that's fine, it makes our movie debates that much more engaging and lively!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"