Hardest Role to Play Next: Joker or Iron Man?

It might be an incredibly long time before Marvel reboots.

Decades?

What happens when Feige leaves/gets promoted? That's the question. Can they keep up their success without him?

They aren't going to keep this level of quality or success forever. And at that point Disney will want to bring back the "big guns" to generate interest. It could be ten years or twenty years or thirty years. But at some point it will happen.

I mean, look how bad Leto got it, and he had like 3min of screen time. :hehe:

Exactly!

Ironically enough, the only other current actor I could see doing a really great Joker.....is Christian Bale.

Exactly!

Ironically enough, the only other current actor I could see doing a really great Joker.....is Christian Bale.
That's why he killed the Joker

tumblr_mt6893Bl361r7nryuo6_r1_250.gif

Iron man, easily. For multiple reasons:
1.) Joker has already been played by multiple actors, with multiple iconic performances. The public has accepted multiple actors playing the part.
2.) The Joker as a character and icon was already established in the public consciousness. This comes with its own challenges, but it has the benefit of guaranteeing that, no matter how iconic the performance, the concept of the Joker always exists outside any one actor. It’s viewed at in a light akin to famous theatre roles, like Hamlet. Sure, Brannaugh did a great Hamlet, but he still will never overshadow the role itself.
3.) On a related note, Iron Man was largely unknown to the general public before RDJ, and he was low B list (if we’re being generous) to comic readers. The Tony Stark in the MCU was created by RDJ, and is synonymous with RDJ, to the point that people are commenting on how they think RDJ is becoming Tony Stark with his new business ventures.

Whoever does try to step into the suit next (and I don’t think it’ll happen for a long while) they’ll have a much tougher time than any other actor taking a comic role. Even Wolverine. Though that’s the next closest.

Iron Man by a mile. There have been several Jokers. Phoenix wasn't even the best one (that would be Ledger). Downey has played Stark for so long and in so many films that he's really made the character his own. Some day they will try. I have no doubts about that. The character is too popular not to. But it won't be easy for the next guy.

If I had to make a prediction? The next guy is going to suffer the fate of Lazenby. Hopefully we will avoid also having to see RDJ do a Diamonds Are Forever, as well.

Went with Iron Man. While both roles are difficult to play, I feel like RDJ made Iron Man what he is. Granted, good writing and direction helped but a lot of Stark is just RDJ's charisma. It may not be possible to match that with another actor. The Joker has now had three successful big screen interpretations (four if you count Romero in the old Batman movie) and while they all differ, they all work in their own way. Though Leto's Joker should be a cautionary tale for any actor attempting to step into that purple suit, I think Phoenix has proven that the Joker isn't a character that is off-limits after Ledger's iconic performance and untimely death.

Tony Stark will be harder, I've not seen Joker as it doesn't interest me, but from reviews it's clear that Phoenix performance was good enough to not be totally unable to compete with Ledger's, who took the character in a very different direction to Nicholson's lauded performance.

The scope for The Joker is much broader for an actor, and it's always easier to be the villain than to get people to really like a hero, especially in this day and age where people are more cynical in general. It takes a certain, rare type of charisma that distinguishes someone that can lead an action franchise from just being a great actor, which is what the actor playing Tony Stark will have to do, the guy who next plays The Joker wont have to carry the load.

I think Iron Man because we’ve just had one definitive performance while Joker has had 3 great portrayals.

So, I see a lot of people discrediting Nicholson's Joker as "Jack just playing Jack" but IMO, RDJ's Stark is the same exact thing, if not more so.

How isn't it the same, and furthermore, why isn't it regarded as a criticism the same way it is against Nicholson? At the time, Jack's Joker was the gold standard for 20 years...and someone topped it. Trust and believe, if they make enough Ironman movies, someone will be just as good, if not better...

The first recasting is always the hardest.

We have seen 4 actors played Joker in the big screen... so my vote goes to the next Tony Stark.

I like Iron Man 3.....

And RDJ never turned in a bad performance in the weaker Marvel movies like Iron Man 2(which isn't really a bad movie).

Amen brother. Go tell it on the mountain for the people in the back.

Iron man will be harder since RDJ is the first actor to play Tony Stark and in the GA mind, that version of Stark is what Iron man is.

They probably be another actor as Joker in Matt Reeves trilogy , but I suspect Marvel will wait awhile before they consider another actor in the role.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"