Harley Quinn Girl-Gang Movie Based on "Birds of Prey"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willi Berg

On The Run
Reaction score
http://deadline.com/2018/04/harley-...ainment-bat-girl-christina-hodson-1202365866/

Warner Bros and DC Entertainment have chosen Cathy Yan to be the director of an untitled girl gang movie, likely the next superhero film to be graced by Suicide Squad scene-stealer Harley Quinn, in the form of Margot Robbie. A deal has to be completed, but it is expected that Yan will become the third female filmmaker to join the DC club after Wonder Woman‘s Patty Jenkins and Ava DuVernay (for upcoming The New Gods), and the first female Asian director ever tapped to direct a superhero film.

The project is based on Birds of Prey, which in the DC universe teams Quinn with several other crime fighters, namely Black Canary, Barbara Gordon (Batgirl) and Huntress. It is not confirmed if all of them will be characters in the film. What is clear is that both the main characters and most of the creative braintrust are female, remarkable for a studio-sized superhero film. The script was written by Christina Hodson, who wrote the Transformers spinoff Bumblebee, and just got hired to write the Batgirl movie.

This film looks cleared to start production by year’s end or early next year, after Robbie completes Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. She is negotiating to star alongside Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt in the Quentin Tarantino-directed film for Sony Pictures. The other Harley Quinn films are still under construction. That includes the Suicide Squad sequel to be directed by Gavin O’Connor. Two others, Harley Quinn Vs The Joker and Gotham City Sirens with Suicide Squad helmer David Ayer, seem further in the distance.

http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/04/17/suicide-squad-2-delayed-birds-of-prey/

As for SUICIDE SQUAD 2, clearly moving out of 2018 shoot. The move to go with BOP not only had a lot to do with Hodson's script but also the idea of doing with BATGIRL what Marvel did with Black Panther in CIVIL WAR by introducing them into universe before giving them own film - JUSTIN KROLL

http://collider.com/harley-quinn-movie-r-rated-margot-robbie/

“I pitched the idea of an R-rated girl gang film including Harley, because I was like, ‘Harley needs friends.’ Harley loves interacting with people, so don’t ever make her do a standalone film. She’s got to be with other people, it should be a girl gang. I wasn’t seeing enough girl gangs on screen, especially in the action space. So that was always a big part of it.

Also:
Couple of BIRDS OF PREY tidbits I've learned since the Cathy has come on as director. There are two versions of script, only constant is Harley and Barbara Gordon in both. remaining characters different in both scripts.

Also hearing slight possibility of SQUAD shooting almost immediately after the BIRDS OF PREY shoot

- JUSTIN KROLL (Variety)

Last edited:
So, I'm down for the R-rated GCS, but I'm assuming they're going with R for BoP because of Huntress...or perhaps they're tragically crippling Babs.

So, I'm down for the R-rated GCS, but I'm assuming they're going with R for BoP because of Huntress...or perhaps they're tragically crippling Babs.

I don't know whether Barbara would be injured so soon in the movies, as she is just starting out and there's a plan for a solo movie of her as Batgirl. But there certainly could be some intense stuff. Harley possibly aligning with female heroes (and vice versa) could be for serious reasons.

They are putting A LOT of stock into Harley, WW hopefully will be getting the same treatment in general. But they should do SS2 first and have it lead into BOP, especially when they have all the characters cast and I dont think they will be waiting for WB.

Wouldn't it be best to simply merge this with the existing Gotham City Sirens thread, retitle it Untitled DC female team up movie and then change it later once we know for sure what film it is we are actually getting?

Cannot wait for this, it’s so cool to see superhero flicks starring and directed by women. I wonder who the villain will be?

Cannot wait for this, it’s so cool to see superhero flicks starring and directed by women. I wonder who the villain will be?

I'm glad Margot took charge and is working hard to make it happen this way.

How many threads are there for this?

How many threads are there for this?

Haha ffs I made this thread because there were other people *****ing in the other thread that there wasn't a separate one for this BOP movie (as opposed to the GCS one.) :emp:

It’s hard to judge credibility regarding all the self-promoting internet blowhards, but weeks ago when Christina Hodson was announced as the new writer for Batgirl, several sites were reporting that her Birds of Prey script was basically dead. Umberto Gonzalez contradicted that, saying that it had blown executives away and was going out to directors. And it was about a week later that Cathy Yan was announced as the director.
So he seems to have some knowledge regarding this project, and his Heroic Hollywood site is saying that filming is going to start in January.
I’d say that this movie, barring some unforeseen events, is a near certainty.
Would be cool if they introduced a cast in San Diego.

It’s hard to judge credibility regarding all the self-promoting internet blowhards, but weeks ago when Christina Hodson was announced as the new writer for Batgirl, several sites were reporting that her Birds of Prey script was basically dead. Umberto Gonzalez contradicted that, saying that it had blown executives away and was going out to directors. And it was about a week later that Cathy Yan was announced as the director.
So he seems to have some knowledge regarding this project, and his Heroic Hollywood site is saying that filming is going to start in January.
I’d say that this movie, barring some unforeseen events, is a near certainty.
Would be cool if they introduced a cast in San Diego.

Good that it's gearing up. Excited to see the cast. Also the line-up.

Good luck locking down a cast within the next 6 weeks. Margot's probably going to be too busy filming with Tarantino during this time anyway to make the trip.

Good luck locking down a cast within the next 6 weeks. Margot's probably going to be too busy filming with Tarantino during this time anyway to make the trip.

Yeah, IA.

Batgirl : Alicia Vikander.

Poison Ivy: Rebecca Ferguson.

Catwoman: ?

Batgirl : Alicia Vikander.

Poison Ivy: Rebecca Ferguson.

Catwoman: ?

display

Not a bad choice except the fact that she has been seen in two very popular Deadpool movies and many seasons of Gotham.

Well, Tarantino’s ‘Once Upon A Time In Hollywood’ reportedly has over a dozen featured roles. I don’t imagine that the Sharon Tate part is so large that she couldn’t ‘make the trip’ all the way from Los Angeles to San Diego (on the weekend no less- L.A. crews work on a five day schedule), to take a few hours to promote a film that she has been shepherding as both a producer and star if she wanted to.
And while- assuming the ‘Gotham Girl Gang Movie’ does start shooting in January- the entire cast may not be in place in the next nine weeks (that’s the actual number of weeks ‘til Comic-Con), it’s not outrageous to imagine that some of the roles could be cast by then (Marvel actually introduced Brie Larson as Carol Danvers at Comic-Con 2016- a year and a half before they started rolling film on Captain Marvel!).

WB/DCFU should have quite a Comic-Con this year- the cast and finally the trailer for Aquaman, the cast and maybe a teaser for Shazam!, perhaps Gal Gadot, Kristen Wiig and Patty Jenkins from WW2.
But I think bringing out Harley Quinn, Batgirl, Catwoman, Poison Ivy, Black Canary and Huntress could blow the roof off of Hall H.

Last edited:
Batgirl-Jane Levy.
Catwoman-Ruth Negga or Gugu Mbatha-Raw.
Poison Ivy-Evan Rachel Wood.
Black Canary-Rebecca Ferguson.
Huntress-Alicia Vikander.

Black Canary - Katheryn Winnick
Poison Ivy - Evan Rachel Wood
Catwoman - Charlize Theron
Batgirl - Riley Keough
Huntress - Zoe Kravitz

Doesn't Riley want Ivy? Margot also said she'd love to work with her so who knows.

Catwoman - Natalie Dormer (alternatively, Gugu Mbatha-Raw)
Poison Ivy - Evan Rachel Wood (alternatively, Riley Keough)
Batgirl - Saoirse Ronan (alternatively, Jane Levy)
Black Canary - Abbie Cornish

I haven't really thought about Huntress until now. In terms of the look, Kaya Scodelario's the best I can come up, but I wouldn't know how her acting is. There's also a good chance Bertinelli will be black since that was true in the comics the last I checked, but I don't have a particular black actress in mind.

What makes everyone think that'll be the line up of characters used? I could see them using Katana over Huntress or something like that...

I love Huntress but it would be great to see Katana onscreen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"