Harley Quinn Girl-Gang Movie Based on "Birds of Prey"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Birds of Prey is just as known in the comic community as Gotham City Sirens.

This movie is a vehicle for Harley, though. When has Harley ever been on the Birds Of Prey? She doesn't belong there.

Who says she's in the BOP, it can easily be a BOP v GCS movie. In the multiple scripts that they have, Harley and Barbara are the only characters in all of them

Yes, because DC introducing multiple characters in one film has gone over soooo well. Now they're going to introduce two teams with only one pre-established character present. Sounds like a great idea! /s

Yes, because DC introducing multiple characters in one film has gone over soooo well. Now they're going to introduce two teams with only one pre-established character present. Sounds like a great idea! /s

The contrasting results of The Avengers and Justice League seems to have led to an Internet wisdom absolute- the characters in any team-up film must have had their own feature film beforehand, or the audience won’t care.

In the hundred or so years of cinema before Marvel perfected the art of filmmaking, there were some fairly successful action films- The Great Escape, The Dirty Dozen, The Wild Bunch, The Magnificent Seven, Reservoir Dogs, and The Guns of Navarone are a few that come to mind- that featured huge casts of characters introduced in those, and no previous, films. And the filmmakers did a pretty good job of making audiences care enormously about the fates those characters.
It has, and can be, done.

This movie is a vehicle for Harley, though. When has Harley ever been on the Birds Of Prey? She doesn't belong there.

She does if she's battling the Birds of Prey. If anything the idea of a BoP v GCS makes far more sense than just having the Gotham City Sirens. What exactly is a Gotham City Sirens film going to be about anyway? Catwoman is the only true anti-hero in that group, you can't make them all that way, it defeats the purpose of calling them bad guys.

There is a case that they are again putting the cart before the horse with this idea.

But this isn't the justice league. Catwoman, Ivy, Huntress, and Black Canary aren't going to have their own movies before this, that's ridiculous. Guardians of the Galaxy had all new characters in an ensemble cast. The problem with JL wasn't that, it had to do with Joss Whedon and WB's lack of direction.

Anything can work as long as it's done well. Any premise! Especially this one.

I think an awesome title for this movie is hiding in plain sight.
It should be called Gotham Girl Gangs.
That encompasses both the Birds of Prey and Gotham City Sirens.
And it sounds like a ‘50’s pulp fiction paperback or a grindhouse exploitatation film- either of which I’d really want to read/see!

But Marvel introduced multiple heroes in one film and it has gone sooo well, (Vision, Scarlett Witch in Avengers: AoU; Spider-Man, Black Panther in Civil War)

It just shows that it's execution that matters.. not the approach.

But this isn't the justice league. Catwoman, Ivy, Huntress, and Black Canary aren't going to have their own movies before this, that's ridiculous. Guardians of the Galaxy had all new characters in an ensemble cast. The problem with JL wasn't that, it had to do with Joss Whedon and WB's lack of direction.

Anything can work as long as it's done well. Any premise! Especially this one.
Agreed.

If Catwoman, Ivy, Huntress, and Black Canary are going to have their own movies, then I'm still waiting for solo movies on -

Black Widow, Hawkeye, Nick Fury, Vision, Scarlett Witch, Falcon and War-Machine.

Last edited:
I never claimed that all of these characters need solo films. Please don't put words in my mouth. I was simply saying that DC has a problem with team films, clearly. So having not one but two teams in one film is a recipe for disaster.

But Marvel introduced multiple heroes in one film and it has gone sooo well, (Vision, Scarlett Witch in Avengers: AoU; Spider-Man, Black Panther in Civil War)

It just shows that it's execution that matters.. not the approach.
As far as i'm concerned AoU and CW aren't any better or worse than JL. It's not about execution or approach, it about brand name. DC can't win... ever. Not until the MCU monster implodes or DC is bought by Disney.

Just look at my signature to you see the Doom of DC

Majority of Marvel fans have always supported MCU movies, even when it took certain liberties.

DC fans however were always a divided lot, they were divided over Nolan's portrayal of Batman ("Not comic book accurate enough"), to Superman Returns Superman (Creepy stalker, dead-beat dad Superman), to Man Of Steel Superman (Emo-Superman), WB should not look at fans approval for their comic book movies to get success.

WB needs to win over the general audience, not DC fans to get success. General Audience liked Wonder Woman and they made it successful, for that to happen, they have to execute the ideas in a way that general audience will find appealing.

As far as i'm concerned AoU and CW aren't any better or worse than JL. It's not about execution or approach, it about brand name. DC can't win... ever. Not until the MCU monster implodes or DC is bought by Disney.

For the most part, I agree. And that’s why I’ve been an advocate for this film, and said that the (near) future of DC films should be women. The shining success of the DCFU is Wonder Woman, which became a cause as much as a movie. I think that DC should build on their one advantage here with Harley (well received by audiences and critics in Suicide Squad, apart from the film as a whole) and, of course, WW2. There is a stink on DC films with the general audience, and perhaps even an unconscious bias among the mass of critics that these films won’t suffer.
I have seen some misgivings regarding the rumor of an all-female crew for the Harley Girl Gang film, but if that helps separate the film from the current perception of DC, and, like with Patty Jenkins directing Wonder Woman, allow audiences and critics alike to see it with an open mind, then absolutely do it.
Then seed your larger DCFU through these films.
I’ve seen many posters say that you can’t have a Batgirl (or Nightwing) film without a new Batman film. I think, now, that that’s wrong. Give us a look at the new Batman in ‘Batgirl’ (written and directed by women), and then make ‘The Batman’ after that.

I’ve seen many posters say that you can’t have a Batgirl (or Nightwing) film without a new Batman film. I think, now, that that’s wrong. Give us a look at the new Batman in ‘Batgirl’ (written and directed by women), and then make ‘The Batman’ after that.

Depending on how it's done (references here and there hinting at certain characters and/or storylines) a Batgirl movie could actually increase anticipation for the Batman solo.

I agree that emphasising their female superheroes/villains make sense for WB/DC at this stage. Wonder Woman and Harley have really caught on with audiences. And although I've always been pretty so-so about Batgirl in the comics I'm very interested in seeing her in the DCEU. Supergirl too.

Depending on how it's done (references here and there hinting at certain characters and/or storylines) a Batgirl movie could actually increase anticipation for the Batman solo.

I agree that emphasising their female superheroes/villains make sense for WB/DC at this stage. Wonder Woman and Harley have really caught on with audiences. And although I've always been pretty so-so about Batgirl in the comics I'm very interested in seeing her in the DCEU. Supergirl too.

I dream of a distaff Trinity film- Wonder Woman, Supergirl, and Batgirl- as an apotheosis of the female rescue of the DCFU in a few years.

I agree strongly that introduction of the new Batman in ‘Batgirl’ could increase anticipation for ‘The Batman’. Regarding the criticisms of putting the cart before the horse- even if ‘The Batman’ is the story of a young Dark Knight, ‘Batgirl’ could feature a Batman who is a decade or more older.
A simple scene in ‘The Batman’ with Gordon and his daughter- this time Barbara as a kid, maybe Gordon with graying hair in ‘Batgirl’ and a rusty pate in ‘The Batman’- would be all the shorthand audiences would need to know that ‘The Batman’ takes place years before ‘Batgirl’.
I think that a thrilling fifteen minutes or so teasing audiences with the new Bruce Wayne/Batman in ‘Batgirl’ would be an enormously effective way to prime audiences for a new series of Batman (and possibly Batfamily) films.

Umberto Gonzalez @elmayimbe

RUMOR KILLER
No, that dumb 4chan rumor is so not true. Léa Seydoux is not in early talks nor on some shortlist for either BLACK CANARY or CATWOMAN in BIRDS OF PREY. In fact, CATWOMAN is NOT even in the movie!
Hope this is true, at least the part about Seydoux. She would be all wrong for Black Canary.

This movie is a vehicle for Harley, though. When has Harley ever been on the Birds Of Prey?
Eh, if Poison Ivy can be a Bird, then so can Harley. As long as they don't make her the leader, I'm completely fine with her joining the team.

Majority of Marvel fans have always supported MCU movies, even when it took certain liberties.
There was quite an outcry with Mandarin in Iron Man 3! Overall there is more positivity though, true. Although we don't know how much of that is just a result of long term success.

DC fans however were always a divided lot, they were divided over Nolan's portrayal of Batman ("Not comic book accurate enough"), to Superman Returns Superman (Creepy stalker, dead-beat dad Superman), to Man Of Steel Superman (Emo-Superman), WB should not look at fans approval for their comic book movies to get success.
I also prefer comic-booky Batman like in the Arkham games, but I thought most fans overall loved Nolan's take even with that qualifier, while at the same time not reacting well to SR. MoS is the only one I'd say there was really a big division down the middle.

WB needs to win over the general audience, not DC fans to get success. General Audience liked Wonder Woman and they made it successful, for that to happen, they have to execute the ideas in a way that general audience will find appealing.
Yes this is very important. With BvS it felt like it was enough just to win over a section of fans rather than catering more widely. I think it is possible to satisfy a much wider audience while sticking to your guns like TDK managed to.

I would love for Catwoman to appear, but maybe they want her to appear in a solo Batman film as opposed to a spin off.

My ideal list of characters would be Harley, Ivy, Catwoman vs Batgirl, Black Canary, and Huntress, with Renee Montaya being the Jim Gordon, police contact type character, working with the birds.

Do you think that Riley Keough could play Poison Ivy in the Harley Quinn Girl-Gang Movie?

Margot is producing this movie by her one and she already mentioned in an interview that she would like to work with Riley. I think Riley would be a perfect fit for Poison Ivy.

Do you think that Riley Keough could play Poison Ivy in the Harley Quinn Girl-Gang Movie?

Margot is producing this movie by her one and she already mentioned in an interview that she would like to work with Riley. I think Riley would be a perfect fit for Poison Ivy.

IDK but I hope so. She'd be amazing IMO and she already expressed interest in the role.

Breaking: Key member of the Birds of Prey in BIRDS OF PREY.

Seriously though, awesome. Bring on the Bat Family.

Perhaps bigger news today for Harley’s Girl Gang is that Sony has pulled ‘Silver&Black’ from its release date. Although I don’t think Silver Sable and Black Cat have an awareness in the broader culture close to Harley Quinn or Batgirl (an appearance by Spidey in ‘Silver&Black’ would, of course, change that equation), the movie could have, or appear to have, a similar theme and tone, and it’s never a great thing to get there second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"