Harley Quinn Girl-Gang Movie Based on "Birds of Prey"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't avoided the question. They were created that way and evolved to become what they are today. It's like saying why does Santa Claus have to be overweight. Does he have to be overweight and have a beard? No, but symbolism is lost when you don't have that imagery there. Bruce Wayne being the ethnicity his is is tied to the symbolism of Batman, just as T'Challa is tied to the symbolism of Black Panther, as well as every other major comic character out there. And when you remove it the symbolism is no longer the same. The value in characters retaining how they look when they were created is that in the future they become recognisable symbols for something more, something heroic, that is far more important than I think you realise. It's how the religions of the world have lasted for so long. You might not think it's a big deal, but when you start to alter characters in a substantial way, whether it's through visuals or personality, people feel like something they love is being taken away. That thing they love is no longer important. You only have to look at the Luke Skywalker drama with TLJ to see what happens when you do that. This is why it shouldn't be about what the ethnicity of exiting characters are, we should simply accept that for what it is. What we need is something that builds from those foundations, brings in new ideas that reflect who we are today and allow new characters to become the symbols of heroism in the future.
How? What about Batman being white ties to his symbolism. I am waiting. Because you keep saying things, without actually addressing the character. As if how Bruce Wayne looks has ever mattered compared to the bat suit. What is the symbolism in Bruce Wayne being white. Let's be specific. Especially as you compared it to Black Panther. You are comparing it to this:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/16/entertainment/wakanda-black-panther-fans/index.html

Because your argument boils down to, well he was white in the first place. And I will say you can make this argument, but so were plenty of other characters who have appeared as not white in film adaptation, and it seemingly had no effect on them in terms of anything. Well other then giving roles to minority actors in projects they wouldn't have gotten before.

I do love the comparison to religion though. Like that is a good thing. By the way, Jesus wasn't white, but is that issue? :cwink:

How? What about Batman being white ties to his symbolism. I am waiting. Because you keep saying things, without actually addressing the character. As if how Bruce Wayne looks has ever mattered compared to the bat suit. What is the symbolism in Bruce Wayne being white. Let's be specific. Especially as you compared it to Black Panther. You are comparing it to this:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/16/entertainment/wakanda-black-panther-fans/index.html

Because your argument boils down to, well he was white in the first place. And I will say you can make this argument, but so were plenty of other characters who have appeared as not white in film adaptation, and it seemingly had no effect on them in terms of anything. Well other then giving roles to minority actors in projects they wouldn't have gotten before.

I do love the comparison to religion though. Like that is a good thing. By the way, Jesus wasn't white, but is that issue? :cwink:

I actually see now where our differences are. You're coming at this from a literal perspective and I'm coming at this from one of symbolism. If I'm right in my reading you you are being literal in saying why can't anyone be Batman. From that perspective, yes you are correct, literally anyone could be Batman. But what I'm arguing for is the importance of the symbol that Bruce Wayne is and has become. I don't disagree with you about religion, but to say there aren't similarities between that and the mythologies we consume today is being a little naive, because the same thing that drives Star Wars fans to remain fans for 40 years is the same thing that has made many divine characters survive for thousands of years. My argument boils down to that there is an important aspect to how a characters looks as well as what their personality is. Whether its Hercules, or Robin Hood, or whatever, when you get to the level of Bruce Wayne the image of that character has meaning, maybe not to you personally, but to countless people who's image of him is that handsome, chiseled, caucasian guy in the suit. To them that will be the one and only Batman and you can't change that. You think these characteristics are expendable, I don't because whether they mean something to you they've been infused in our modern mythologies enough to where it means something to a lot of people. Maybe it's just me coming from an artistic background, but visuals do define story and character. Without definition all you have is a concept.

If Black Panther wasn't a story based a lot around what it means to be black, you might have a point. But that is clearly not the case. It is stunning when people try to argue, "well what if they changed one of the very few black characters" when comparing them to white characters.

I'm just saying, on some level you're going to care about aspects of a character because you care about those aspects themselves, not because they're attached to some other aspect you care about. Like, for example, Primal Slayer cares about Green Arrow shooting arrows. He doesn't have to justify that by saying Green Arrow doing something else wouldn't work. He can just say, "Green Arrow shoots arrows, I like him shooting arrows, I want him to shoot those arrows."

Why do you care about Black Canary exactly?
Short answer: I like the way Black Canary looks (and in the comics I've read, there was a lot of emphasis on how she looked), so her appearance has made a strong impression on me, and being white and blonde is part of how she looks.

So am I the only one who’s stoked that she might be a singer? That’s one of the more interesting additions to her modern character. And if they went to Gaga, they’re looking for a legit voice.

So am I the only one who’s stoked that she might be a singer? That’s one of the more interesting additions to her modern character. And if they went to Gaga, they’re looking for a legit voice.

My interest in this movie would die

My interest in this movie would die

Lady Gaga is getting excellent teas for 'A Star Is Born'. So if your gripe is about acting ability then she might surprise. It's still a moot point since she declined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"