Harley Quinn Girl-Gang Movie Based on "Birds of Prey"

Status
Not open for further replies.
No matter how grunge that style was, it wasn't attractive. Closer to terrifying.

*raises hand* woman here

I think that Wonder Woman's costume is a perfect balance of practicality and sexyness. But if your'e going to start pulling the string now, then you would realize 90% of heroes and villains costumes are hella impractical. If people just hate sexualized female characters then just say so. But using practicality as an argument over costumes is ****in weird. lol

^ This.....1000 Times This.

I can’t name one situation where wearing an entire spandex costume with a mask would be practical for crime fighting.....Hell Batman wouldn’t even be able to breathe.

^ This.....1000 Times This.

I can’t name one situation where wearing an entire spandex costume with a mask would be practical for crime fighting.....Hell Batman wouldn’t even be able to breathe.
Also, as Watchmen has shown us, capes are ****in stupid. But you know what? THEY'RE COOL!! sometimes i think people forget that there's an escapist element to speculative fiction. Even when it comes to sexualizing characters. Cheesecake art has a right to exist, just like impractical capes and masks.

Also, as Watchmen has shown us, capes are ****in stupid. But you know what? THEY'RE COOL!! sometimes i think people forget that there's an escapist element to speculative fiction. Even when it comes to sexualizing characters. Cheesecake art has a right to exist, just like impractical capes and masks.

This post has put a smile on my face :up:

Also, as Watchmen has shown us, capes are ****in stupid.

dollar-bill.jpg

*raises hand* woman here

I think that Wonder Woman's costume is a perfect balance of practicality and sexyness. But if your'e going to start pulling the string now, then you would realize 90% of heroes and villains costumes are hella impractical. If people just hate sexualized female characters then just say so. But using practicality as an argument over costumes is ****in weird. lol

Appreciate your perspective. :up:

EDIT: Eh you know what, screw it. I don't want to have this discussion again. I'll just leave the kinkshaming part because it's funny.

Cheesecake art has a right to exist
And so does "women wearing cool and/or practical stuff that makes them looks badass" art. I actually love that kind of art, why are you kinkshaming me? :o

Last edited:
See I hear this argument a lot and I'm sorry but it doesn't work. It's not the same thing. Do these films through in a couple of scenes of Thor with his shirt off, absolutely. Captain America wearing suspiciously tight-fitting shirts, certainly, Bruce Wayne with his shirt off while working out, definitely, etc.

But here's the distinction, those are one or two token scenes of fanservice, which is fine. But that is NOT the same thing as their SUPERHERO COSTUMES looking that way. Captain America wears a costume that at most just exposes his head (if he takes his helmet off). Thor wears a costume that at most exposes his head and arms (and sometimes he wears costumes that armor his arms up to). Batman only has the lower half of his face exposed. Spider-Man has every single inch of skin covered my his costume, etc.

Then you have the female characters, who often have leotard that show lots of skin, or tight-fitting cleavage-bearing corsets, or high heels, or even Black Widow who's outfit isn't inherently sexual often has artists draw her zipper down to bear her cleavage for no real reason, or fishnets, or glorified swimsuits, etc. THAT'S where the double standards come in. Even the way that they're often posed is telling. Male characters are made to look powerful and badass and you want to be them. Female ones, are drawn to give the readers boners and you want to bang them.

Now there are some characters that this works for. For example, I'm fine with Zatanna or Emma Frost looking that way because it's believable. But Dinah, who often needs to run or jump, or fight hand to hand, etc wearing fishnets. No, and I've never liked the fishnets for that reason.

Now you want to do the female equivalent of the male "fanservice scenes." Do something like a female hero is working out in bike shorts and a sports bra, or they're at the beach or lounging by a pool in a swimsuit, or their swimming or whatever. THERE'S more equivalent scenarios. Heck I'm not even opposed to (if it makes sense in-context) love scenes. I mean I'm the guy who made jokes about the movie being R-rated so that we can get a Harley/Ivy love scene for goodness sake, and I had no problem with WW and Steve Trevor hooking up in her film at all. So I'm not prude when it comes to female sexuality, but only in the right context (and the same is true for men for that matter).

And speaking of WW, her movie costume is a least slightly more believable that the glorified one-piece swimsuit that she often wears in the comics. Her DCEU costumes look kind of like the other Amazon armor which is in turn based off of Greco-Roman battle armor, and current comics have followed suit thank goodness.
Well said. I couldn't agree with this more.

Here's the thing that's being lost in all of this, you're coming at it from the perspective that women want the female characters to be more like the men. Wonder Woman is just as sexy on film as she is in the comic. Let's not make out that women don't like the idea of looking as good as what Gal Gadot does in Wonder Woman. A large reason for Wonder Woman's success isn't just because she's a kick arse female character, it's that she represents all the strengths and beauty of femininity itself and that's appealing to a lot of women. Remember that male wish fulfilment and female wish fulfilment are completely different. I look at the recent Tomb Raider movie as a film that gets lost trying to neutralise the femininity of its hero, and all we got was a bland movie where literally anybody could have been the lead character. You may have a point that it can get overboard sometimes in comics in terms of how the girls are drawn, but also think the vast majority of women don't give a ****.
Costumes depend very much on the character wearing them, and in the case of Diana, she's probably resilient, but when you've got characters that are just human, or slightly above wearing fishnets, high heels and as little clothing as possible, that's done for one reason, and one reason alone - fan service. It's impractical as it opens up [said characters] to more hurt (when fighting crime).

Take the DCEU Batman; I don't know that the material of his [normal] suit is, but it's probably tough (except when directly stabbed); the cowl at least is bullet proof; we saw a bullet bounce off it when he was saving Martha. It works. Harley's costume in SS doesn't; considering what she'd be walking into, she'd be too prone to injury. All the male characters were adequately equipped and clothed. The cleavage shots of Tasha & Wanda further appeal to this. I'm surprised there's no 'cut out' in the Wasp costume.

What part of Harley Quinn's full bodied jester costume would make her any more protected than what she wore in SS? She can still be easily shot, stabbed, or hit. If we want to go down this route of logic it's pretty easy to justify why someone like Black Canary would wear fishnets or why someone like Supergirl would wear a skirt and that's to simply say they like wearing them. In real life there are women who like to wear these things, and you can't really argue against that. Not every crime fighter needs a Batman level of practicality in the costume design. I do agree that some costumes have to be reinterpreted to have a sense of practicality to them because some comic book characters look ridiculous, but some characters also work as they are and require minimal change. Besides, lets not forget that this is fantasy, and fantasy has always been exaggerated.

What part of Harley Quinn's full bodied jester costume would make her any more protected than what she wore in SS? She can still be easily shot, stabbed, or hit. If we want to go down this route of logic it's pretty easy to justify why someone like Black Canary would wear fishnets or why someone like Supergirl would wear a skirt and that's to simply say they like wearing them. In real life there are women who like to wear these things, and you can't really argue against that. Not every crime fighter needs a Batman level of practicality in the costume design. I do agree that some costumes have to be reinterpreted to have a sense of practicality to them because some comic book characters look ridiculous, but some characters also work as they are and require minimal change. Besides, lets not forget that this is fantasy, and fantasy has always been exaggerated.
Harley was obviously used as an example; I doubt Amanda cared much whether Harley lived through the events.

Your other examples however further fuel my point; BC in fishnets is impractical. Kara (Supergirl) is irrelevant cause (to the common villain) her skin is impenetrable.

There are women [in real life] that dress like this, yeah, but they generally don't go around fighting crime. In actual fact, the heroes of the real world that find themselves in the line of fire (police officers, soldiers etc) are adequately dressed either with full clothing and sometimes armour.

The singular element here is, as you've indicated - fantasy (same reason Batman, Superman & Shazam (among others) wear useless capes (although Bruces' at least is a good fire deterrent). That doesn't mean to say though that the female costume couldn't be a bit more realistic!

What the right level of practicality is is purely subjective. The question regarding Black Canary though is is there any reason to actually take the fishnets away?

What the right level of practicality is is purely subjective. The question regarding Black Canary though is is there any reason to actually take the fishnets away?
I guess it depends what they're made from. If they're standard, everyday fishnets, then they're probably not very practical or suitable, but if they're some high-tech fabric or something, then maybe they're not so bad. ;)

And Batman is not practical by any stretch of the imagination. lol

The smaller budget probably also has to do with the R-rating, studios are risk adverse most of the time.

Which isn't inherently bad, I just hope that say, if Poison Ivy is in this that they can still properly convey her powers.

The smaller budget probably also has to do with the R-rating, studios are risk adverse most of the time.

Which isn't inherently bad, I just hope that say, if Poison Ivy is in this that they can still properly convey her powers.

It could mean that Joker is R-rated as well.

That's Dope, i can't wait. So will Batgirl, Black Canary and Huntress originate with this film? or?

I think the latest word is Quinn, Black Canary, Huntress and Batgirl. We don't really know for sure, though.

Again I feel like Poison Ivy should definitely be here as well.

Again I feel like Poison Ivy should definitely be here as well.

It'd be good to see her. Maybe if they are going with Harley, Black Canary, Huntress, and Batgirl, they'll tease Ivy for the next one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"