Has Christian Bale Lost Steam?

I completely disagree. EVERYONE on this planet knows who Vito Corleone is. Can't say the same for those other characters.

In fact Colonal Kurtz is probably more well known than those characters.

By the way I mean just people in general, not people who are into movies.

I think you VASTLY underestimate the popularity of ON THE WATERFRONT. It's an American classic. And people certainly know both quotes as they've been recycled countless times for clips and parody. Maybe the generation that considers everything before 1970 old and obscure wouldn't get them, but the aging Baby Boomer demographic certainly knows both films.

Yea but you go up to some random person on the street and say "Who is Marlon Brando?". I bet that 99% of the time they will say "The Godfather".

Or "Who is Antony Hopkins?" "Hannibal Lector"

I think don't he's losing steam as an actor at all. I wasn't crazy about TS, but that was due to a myriad of problems with the film. He's still one of my favorite actors.

I do think his recent public relations nightmares have been a problem, though. I saw a ton of Public Enemies ads in NYC today, and all of them feature only Johnny Depp, and I noticed he's only getting a quick mention in the commercials. That may have going differently if the infamous rant hadn't been made public.

I'm not sure the PE spots have anything to do with his rant. His part is not a co-lead role like The Prestige or 3:10 to Yuma. It's definitely a supporting role. Apparently, he has only about 20 minutes of screen time. I think Melvin Purvis is a fascinating historical figure. It's too bad there will be very little of him in Public Enemies.

Just read the abridged script. That is some of the funniest sh** I've ever read in my life. Best line:

MOON BLOODGOOD

I think you should let Sam go. When he and I were alone, he decided not to rape me, and “doesn’t rape people” is pretty much the only moral barometer in action movies.

I'm not sure the PE spots have anything to do with his rant. His part is not a co-lead role like The Prestige or 3:10 to Yuma. It's definitely a supporting role. Apparently, he has only about 20 minutes of screen time. I think Melvin Purvis is a fascinating historical figure. It's too bad there will be very little of him in Public Enemies.

Ugh, really? That sucks. I love Johnny Depp, but I feel like every time he's in a movie, virtually every other actor gets minimal screentime because every director is apparently in love with him on some level.

20 minutes?! Tell me you're exaggerating...

20 minutes?! Tell me you're exaggerating...

Unfortunately, I'm not and the one scene they do share is in the trailer(the jailhouse scene). There's a reason why this movie is called Public Enemies. Truthfully, it should have been called Dillinger.

No, what you said was:

Meaning that despite being great in other parts, there's ONE role that they shall forever be known for.
Ie: If they dropped dead tommorrow the obit/general public would say "(enter character name) dies at age (__)".
No, they'd be saying "(enter actor's name) dies at ____)". The actors I've mentioned have built a reputation for their own name regardless of the popularity of their roles.

And yes, I did imply there is that one role that they would be known for, but that is not to say there aren't any others. They're just not as prominent as that "one". Logically speaking, amidst many (great) performances, there would undeniably be at least one that stands out amongst the rest, in terms of pop culture significance.

Very rarely is there an actor that is equally known for 2 very culturally significant and popular roles. Which is to say, if you ask random people on the street to name the first role that comes to mind of an actor, there would be an almost equal percentage saying one of two roles. Off the top of my head, Harrison Ford is the rarity in that he is known as Indy and Han Solo.

You can argue about Terry Malloy being massively popular in regards to Brando, but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Vito Corleone has reached a much higher recognition level with the old AND young audiences. 'On the Waterfront' just doesn't touch 'Godfather' in broad appeal.

No, they'd be saying "(enter actor's name) dies at ____)". The actors I've mentioned have built a reputation for their own name regardless of the popularity of their roles.

And yes, I did imply there is that one role that they would be known for, but that is not to say there aren't any others. They're just not as prominent as that "one". Logically speaking, amidst many (great) performances, there would undeniably be at least one that stands out amongst the rest, in terms of pop culture significance.

Very rarely is there an actor that is equally known for 2 very culturally significant and popular roles. Which is to say, if you ask random people on the street to name the first role that comes to mind of an actor, there would be an almost equal percentage saying one of two roles. Off the top of my head, Harrison Ford is the rarity in that he is known as Indy and Han Solo.

You can argue about Terry Malloy being massively popular in regards to Brando, but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Vito Corleone has reached a much higher recognition level with the old AND young audiences. 'On the Waterfront' just doesn't touch 'Godfather' in broad appeal.

Perhaps not, but Brando was first and foremost associated with being an actor than with any single part. Heck, we've seen the tribute reels and every one of them touched on Terry Malloy, Stanley Kolowski, and Vito Corleone when he passed. Vito Corleone was his most seen role, but he had broad recognition as an actor beyond that. It wasn't the case like Bela Lugosi and Dracula or Paul Reubens and Pee Wee Herman or Basil Rathbone and Sherlock Holmes or Adam West and Batman where his other roles were ignored. He was and is remembered as an actor of a broad range of roles.

I feel very strong about this, albeit it's a tangent, because I very well remember the obituaries, tributes, etc. to Brando when he died. Vito Corleone very much was his most famous role, but Vito Corleone was secondary to Brando the actor, not synonymous with Brando.

Last edited:
I think you VASTLY underestimate the popularity of ON THE WATERFRONT. It's an American classic. And people certainly know both quotes as they've been recycled countless times for clips and parody. Maybe the generation that considers everything before 1970 old and obscure wouldn't get them, but the aging Baby Boomer demographic certainly knows both films.

I agree with everything here but one thing. The generation your reffering to actually thinks everything before 1990 obscure and old :woot:. It's so goddamn sad that they think that btw.

Yea but you go up to some random person on the street and say "Who is Marlon Brando?". I bet that 99% of the time they will say "The Godfather".

If you want to get down to brass tacks and ask the uninitiated general public, 2 things...

1. People would probably say "Supermans dad".
2. Anyone under 26 would probably say "Marlon who?"

Perhaps not, but Brando was first and foremost associated with being an actor than with any single part. Heck, we've seen the tribute reels and every one of them touched on Terry Malloy, Stanley Kolowski, and Vito Corleone when he passed. Vito Corleone was his most seen role, but he had broad recognition as an actor beyond that. It wasn't the case like Bela Lugosi and Dracula or Paul Reubens and Pee Wee Herman or Basil Rathbone and Sherlock Holmes or Adam West and Batman where his other roles were ignored. He was and is remembered as an actor of a broad range of roles.

I feel very strong about this, albeit it's a tangent, because I very well remember the obituaries, tributes, etc. to Brando when he died. Vito Corleone very much was his most famous role, but Vito Corleone was secondary to Brando the actor, not synonymous with Brando.
None of this invalidates what I said. In fact, my second paragraph coincides with what you've just typed.

If you want to get down to brass tacks and ask the uninitiated general public, 2 things...

I'm in that age range where I'm good friends with the 17-25 crowd, and I can guarantee you both those points are false. If only because no one our age gives a damn who played Superman's dad, and Brando's name is almost always connected to the Corleone character.

1. Are your friends into movies? You guys talk about movies a lot? Probably,so yeah they would know who he is.

2. In the last few years rappers and hip hop artists have sucked all the life out of Scarface and now have moved onto the Godfather. Before then? Nope sorry, not very many in that age range knew about it.

3. You'll note that I said "unninitated genreal public" ie: people who have no idea who a writer/director/actor etc is. Sorry but those mindless freaks are a very big portion of the audience.

Bale wasn't overshadowed by Ledger. Ledger was just the one that people talked about more because he had just died. Bale still did AMAZING! He was also good in Terminator but the next two will be better.

I agree that Bale wasn't overshadowed by Ledger, it's just the nature of the beast, the Joker role by essence is more flashy than Batman's (Kind of like what happened in B89, most people talked about Nicholson, but that doesn't take away anything from Keaton's performance which was brilliant imo).
However I disagree that people mostly talked about Ledger performance because he had just died. To me (and I would venture probably a few others) he was also talked about a lot because his performance is one of the greatest in the history of cinema.

Also I actually believe that Ledger raised Bale's game in TDK. Acting is kind of like tennis in a way, the better your opponent, the better you are going to be.

1. Are your friends into movies? You guys talk about movies a lot? Probably,so yeah they would know who he is.
Most of my friends are movie fans, but only those that are really into it would know who played Jor-El. Godfather is one of those films that everyone knows about without even having seen it.

2. In the last few years rappers and hip hop artists have sucked all the life out of Scarface and now have moved onto the Godfather. Before then? Nope sorry, not very many in that age range knew about it.
This isn't "then". I assumed every aspect of this conversation referred to the present day outlook.

3. You'll note that I said "unninitated genreal public" ie: people who have no idea who a writer/director/actor etc is. Sorry but those mindless freaks are a very big portion of the audience.
I first saw Godfather when I was 17 (on purpose). My first memory of the film is when I was about 11, and even up to those six years where I had not watched a single scene of the movie, I knew Brando was Vito Corleone. Mind you, I also hadn't even watched a single Brando film.

Hell, I know people that haven't watched the Terminator series, and they sure as hell know the actors behind the T-800 and Sarah Connor.

Bale wasn't overshadowed by Ledger. Ledger was just the one that people talked about more because he had just died.
Death didn't matter, because Ledger was still playing the Joker. Bale was bound to be overshadowed no matter what. He addressed it several times in the interviews that Heath stole the spotlight, and he has no problem with it. As any Batman should know, Joker DOES steal the show. If he doesn't, something is very, very wrong.

:hehe: Supermans dad? :hehe: Do me a favour.

NEARLY EVERYONE ON THIS PLANET KNOWS THE GODFATHER. The whole "I'll make him an offer he can't refuse" has gotta be one of THE most famous lines ever. You go to the slums of Bangladesh and I bet you will come across people who know about it. ;)

If you think more people would attribute Brando to Supermans dad rather than The Godfather I must question whether you live in the same dimension as us. :D

Bale was bound to be overshadowed no matter what. He addressed it several times in the interviews that Heath stole the spotlight, and he has no problem with it. As any Batman should know, Joker DOES steal the show. If he doesn't, something is very, very wrong.

To keep on topic a bit more.

As Crook said, Bale has stated in a few interviews during TDK that he welcomes the challenge when any costars up the ante in a scene or the overall film. He's also made it known that he considers himself an actor not a "movie star", and likes to do what he loves and keeps to himself and his family. That's why you don't usually see him do a lot of late night talk show appearances and if paparazzi catch him running around he's definitely not warm to their cameras.

I think with those two factors Bale isn't loosing steam at all. I know some will use the fact that he played Batman and is now in a Terminator film, that he picked those roles to become a "big movie star" but I disagree. I think why people think he's loosing steam is because he doesn't always care to pick the lead or the spotlight character(see Public Enemies or even TS with how little screentime he got as John Connor).

Like he's said in past interviews, he likes certain characters and I believe he is picking his roles based on the character not based on what will make him more popular. Love him or hate him but for all those reasons I think he is a true actor who literally just wants to act and really doesn't give a damn about the celebrity status.

This may sound elitist, but so be it.

Why should I care about the opinion, one way or another, of the unknowledgable? Isn't it enough that I, and most people on this board, know that Christian Bale has been good in a range of roles? Or that Marlon Brando changed acting and was great in many roles, several of which penetrated culture to a great degree?

Or, perhaps to put a better reasoning on it, why shouldn't I take more seriously the opinions of people who clearly know a lot about the history of film, individual actors, etc., over those who clearly know a lot less?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"