Has joining the hype taken the shine of your fascination with superheroes?

November Rain

Single Mother
Reaction score
You know when you like something as a child, that crazy joy you have for something that overwhelms you. I think i used to be like that when i first started collecting and obviously when i was younger and used to watch cartoons and so forth. I would take everyword as gospel and just watch something to completely engulf myself in it. geekasms at ten paces.

however i feel that has somewhat changed since joining the hype and just having the time to speak to other people who shared this passion, it's made me more objective and i feel i have to pay more attention to comic references and movie trailers and character portrayal and line delivery in films and it's all a lil bit grown up now.

The strange thing is the subject i have the greatest passion for is the one i end up needing to be most adult and attached about, while i can happily delve into others since i don't have years of source material to base my enthusiasm on.

with the endless debates that occur on here about the most mediocre of things, i feel that perhaps the shine has been taken off. It doesn't mean i don't enjoy it any less but i do feel there are less times where i let go. It still happens when reading comics but its becoming less and less with each superhero film i watch (and certainly not at all in a few).

I konw it's added to some people since they have people to talk to about something they might not feel there are able to in the real world and i was like that when i came but after lurking and posting here for about 5 and a bit years, it definitely has lost its charm.

kinda like going to disney world as an adult.

SOmewhat. Mostly just with that movies.

All the threads critqueing and nitpicking at every little detail really ruins alot of the movies for me. Even if I have no opinion or agree with some of them, I still notice everything so much more, and it really takes away from the fun. SO I guess it's the fact that I see al lthe nuts and bolts of the movies so much more that ruins the fun. Makes the movies seem more mechanic and lifeless to me. Less believable.

So I pretty much only post in the movie forums when it's all still speculations, cause I find that to be pretty amusing. Then when the tide shifts to nitpicking I leave. Though, this messageboard has definately kind of rekinled my love of superheroes and kept it burning a little since I can kind of keep up to date in the superhero world and all that. Where I live, I don't many oppurtunities to buy any comic books. And I had to stop buying them completely because I've not had enough money as of late.

i've never been to Disney World
and nothing can ever take the shine off the Forbidden Love of Rogue and Remy
roguegambit.jpg

maduiera's last x-men piece...

why the hell do i remmeber that

FetchImageJPG.asp

FetchImageJPG.asp

you see what i mean, i can't enjoy your pic, instead i have to show reference that i know what arc and who the artist was who drew it...definite 'shine taking off' moment

saying this, i think the hype does different things to those who are talking about comics compared to those who talk about films?

if you don't get the disney world analogy, then perhaps celebrating christmas as an adult with no kids in the house.

November Rain said:
maduiera's last x-men piece...

why the hell do i remmeber that

saying this, i think the hype does different things to those who are talking about comics compared to those who talk about films?

if you don't get the disney world analogy, then perhaps celebrating christmas as an adult with no kids in the house.
oh, i got the Disney World analogy.
i was just stating that i had never been... and i want to see just how exactly they explain an Ariel and King Triton OUT of the water.

November Rain said:

Everybody gets rip-roaring drunk BEFORE dinner? :huh:

alright, christmas eve then (without the anticipation of waiting for presents)

:mad:

November Rain said:
alright, christmas eve then (without the anticipation of waiting for presents)

:mad:
I know, I know. I'm just messin' around.

But you know what?

As you grow up, the shine kind of dulls for almost EVERYTHING that used to be fun as a kid. I can't even play video games anymore without worrying about my back & stuff like that. I understand where you're coming from with discussions on here. For example, any magic that might have been present in X3 was completely ruined for my by messing around on these boards.

It's hard to tell what part of it is because you learn every single detail about these movies (positive and negative) or because we're just growing up... *sigh*

so you think it might not be the hype, but the fact that i'm getting older?

saying this though, nostalgic gameplay on my nintendo and super nintendo has never let me down. i could play duck hunt and supermario kart for hours. The thing about games of that era was they had great playability, simple games that could have people playing them for hours over and over. in this day and age, games are made to be played once, or finished to 100% once and then left on the shelf

nostalgia does have a way of making old things seem good, even old cartoons still seem kinda good (the high quality ones). I was watching some thundercats the other day and had a geekasm when lion-o beat cheetarah in a race :eek:

so based on all these things, i don't think growing up alone should take the shine off things or maybe it does on new things but the new things always have that sparkle.

My enjoyment of the comics and the characters hasn't changed at all.

My appreciation for the movies has sometimes been aided and sometimes been deflated, depending on the movie and the Hype reactions. Example: Spider-Man - I actually enjoyed this move more because I had read about all the bloopers on the Hype and was keeping an extra interested I out for those scenes (I enjoy laughing at editing errors). The Fantastic Four - I think I would have enjoyed this movie more if it hadn't been for the Hype and the realization of all it could have been.

When I watch a super-hero movie I don't try to relate it to the comics too much. There's Stan Lee's Spider-Man who's first real love was GWEN (yes I did an edit here) and then there's Fox's Spider-Man, who's first love was MJ. To me they are "alternate Earth" Spider-Men. A definite relationship, but different.

Maybe it's just because we don't have any illusions anymore. Especially not after you follow the production of a movie from casting to over-analyzing every frame of the trailer to all the craptastic politics happening off-camera. We used to be able to show up to a movie, have it blow our freakin' minds, and go home. Not anymore.

I'm debating boycotting the Spider-Man 3 forums from now until May so as not to ruin the entire movie for myself. I don't want to see every set pic and read every article because then I'll know the entire plot of the movie before I walk in. I learned my lesson from The Last Stand, thank you very much.

If it's not growing up (and I know that's part of it, for myself anyways) then it might have something to do with the transparency of film productions and the amount of information we can collect through the net.

everyone is saying that the Hype has kind of taken the fascination out of the movies but not the comic books.
but i would say that the movies takes more out of the comic book experience than anything.
i think Hype hypes me up for the movies that i'm aticipating.

Halcohol said:
Maybe it's just because we don't have any illusions anymore. Especially not after you follow the production of a movie from casting to over-analyzing every frame of the trailer to all the craptastic politics happening off-camera. We used to be able to show up to a movie, have it blow our freakin' minds, and go home. Not anymore.

I'm debating boycotting the Spider-Man 3 forums from now until May so as not to ruin the entire movie for myself. I don't want to see every set pic and read every article because then I'll know the entire plot of the movie before I walk in. I learned my lesson from The Last Stand, thank you very much.

If it's not growing up (and I know that's part of it, for myself anyways) then it might have something to do with the transparency of film productions and the amount of information we can collect through the net.
you think if fans had the same acess to scrutinsing the developments of comics and cartoons that it would just as bad as it is for movies at this current time?

i sometimes wonder why films decide to release as much information about their production as they do. i guess they must see it as an easy and affordable means of promoting while giving fans a 'behind the scenes' experience.

although i do think this footage is good, i think it should be left unseen until after the movie is released and then shown as bonus footage with dvd releases.

November Rain said:
you think if fans had the same acess to scrutinsing the developments of comics and cartoons that it would just as bad as it is for movies at this current time?

i sometimes wonder why films decide to release as much information about their production as they do. i guess they must see it as an easy and affordable means of promoting while giving fans a 'behind the scenes' experience.

although i do think this footage is good, i think it should be left unseen until after the movie is released and then shown as bonus footage with dvd releases.
That's exactly it, it's free advertising. From the studio's point of view, what's the worst that's going to happen? A few fanboys are going to be let down because they took 3 set pics and extrapolated that they'd see something incredible. In the meantime, they told a whole bunch of friends about the film and started spreading the word about it.

I really do think the same thing would happen if we heard the same amount of information about the development of cartoons and comics. We'd get a basic outline that we'd each fill in with our own wishes for the final product. Inevitably, most of us would be disappointed because it didn't live up to our expectations.

But really, how can they? Each of expects something different. Every X-Men fan wanted to see their character's powers showcased to the fullest. I'm an Iceman fan and, despite Iceman getting really a good show in X3, I was disappointed that I didn't get to see the ice-slide I'd heard about in a set report.

The only thing I have to say about anything "taking the shine" off my fascination with superheros and this may come off as insulting and offensive towards some people and I realize that everything is a matter of taste and preference but honestly, the way some people here drool over the worst put together piece of slapped together cinematography is offensive.

Honestly, the comic book movies released recently are atrocious and for the life of me, I can't understand why some of you people like them.

I do understand what Odin is saying because I think with the internet have given every idiot out there with a modem a voice. We are very critical, even too critical about every minute aspect of a movie and these boards are an instrument to voice our opinions as wild and off the mark as some of them are.

redmarvel said:
whoops... :o you're right, I was writing faster than I was thinking... GWEN!!!
you see, i knew what you meant by the hyper in me had to pubically bring a 'typo' to light

*sigh*

Erzengel said:
The only thing I have to say about anything "taking the shine" off my fascination with superheros and this may come off as insulting and offensive towards some people and I realize that everything is a matter of taste and preference but honestly, the way some people here drool over the worst put together piece of slapped together cinematography is offensive.

Honestly, the comic book movies released recently are atrocious and for the life of me, I can't understand why some of you people like them.

I do understand what Odin is saying because I think with the internet have given every idiot out there with a modem a voice. We are very critical, even too critical about every minute aspect of a movie and these boards are an instrument to voice our opinions as wild and off the mark as some of them are.
perhaps you're just along the same lines as me, expecting the best of things to fully represent your character.

kinda like how if you are going to court, you want the world to see you at your best so you wear a suit.

the movie industry is where the rest of the world gets a glimpse at our passion and for some of us, we want our passion to be properly represented rather than dragged around in drags.

could it be that we may feel that some superhero movies make us as fans look bad in the eyes of the modern public?

or that we at least come to feel that way.

If anything's gonna kill my interest in superheroes it's gonna be being in the comic business.

Not really.
I think my fascination has gotten a bit stronger.

fascination, isn't the problem, the hype's got a great way of perhaps spreading a large amount of knowledge about a characters and universes that we wouldn't have the chance financially to all know about.

BUT

the constant analysis of events and stories and writers and production and scenes and press releases and trailers and movie footage and story arcs just kinda takes the sparkle off at least in my eyes.

as a new fan to the genre, i would reccommend staying away from this place for a while, it's like telling a child on their third birthday that father christmas doesn't exist and watching the glow go from their eyes, they still like christmas but it will never be the same as it was before.

see what i mean?

I'm staying away from the Spiderman 3 Forums. I don't need to know every tidbit. I did the same thing with the Star Wars movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"