Has Marvel forgot the purpose of the X-Men?

Which would be totally wrong. Hell, the strongest X-Men/Racism stuff came out of the 60's and 70's.

Sure, to normal people the SHRA may have seemed like a logical solution, but why would the superheroes (who spend all that time PROTECTING their identities) ever consent to it? It doesn't make sense.

Sure, to normal people the SHRA may have seemed like a logical solution, but why would the superheroes (who spend all that time PROTECTING their identities) ever consent to it? It doesn't make sense.

- Iron Man supported the act because he used to be an alcoholic and one time he almost caused several deaths when he was in the suit while drunk. He also saw plans of what the U.S. Governement will do if all superheroes opposed the act. Sentinels would have been used to hunt them all down.

- Mr. Fantastic supported the act because he wanted to eventually change the act into better terms for superheroes legally. He also developed psychohistory which allowed him to somewhat predict the future and determined that many more will die without the SHRA.

- The Invisible Woman originally supported the SHRA because her husband supported it. As her brother said said "She loves you. She supports you." She stopped her support because she thought the Superhuman Task Force went too far.

- The Human Torch originally supported the SHRA because Reed supported it. He will blindly follow Reed. He then fought against the act because he blindly supports his sister even more and thought the act went too far.

- The Thing originally supported the SHRA because the rest of the Fantastic Four did. He then refused to support it because he was morally opposed to it and refused to fight against it because he refused to be branded a criminal.

- Yellowjacket supported the SHRA presumably because he beat his wife and felt bad about it.

- Wasp supported the SHRA because Yellowjacket supported it and she probably agrees with the idea of registration.

- Bishop supported the SHRA because he thought that if he works within the system, it will help prevent the oppression of mutants in his future.

- Ms. Marvel supported the SHRA because they want to train superheroes to prevent the next Stamford.

- Wonder Man supported the SHRA for the same reason as Ms. Marvel

- She-Hulk supported the SHRA because people choose to be superheroes and there needs to be some sort of accountability when a superhero performs criminal negligence like the New Warriors did.

- Spider-Man used to support the SHRA because Tony Stark was paying his bills, giving him a job, and provided for him. He also wanted the people's trust. He then fought against it because he saw the Negative Zone prison

- Micromax supported the SHRA to represent the British Governments support of the SHRA.

- Sabra supported the SHRA to represent the Israeli Governments support of the SHRA.

Those who registered have their own reasons for registering and those who fought it have their reasons for fighting it.

I like these posts here.

Most hero's who've ever crossed SHIELD's path would definitely know that SHIELD most likely has a file on them with their identity.

Now, and I really hate to explain this again, without a registration, at any time, probably at the request of the United States Government, can they get this info, and just distribute it wide scale.

WITH a registration, the government cannot do that for legally binding reasons, and the heros literally have a safer conduit of activity toward their identities.

Case in point. They go back to Stark Tower, or wherever their training center is, and are teleported home, nobody has to know anything about them going or coming.

Another point. If there was no registration, the American branch of SHIELD (given that it's an international organization, it definitely has country wide branches like any other international organization), and the American government can just mow down these heros the moment they get out of hand via Sentinels/cape killers/nuclear weapons/whatever. OR, they can just legally reprimand them with little to zero casualties.

I sure hope the New Avengers or the X-Men have a big fight the O*N*E Sentinels.

But the problem with the SHRA is that it forces any super powered person to join and work as a super hero for the Government.
Like, again, with Ares. A single father who wanted nothing to do with the super hero world. Now Stark has forced him to work as a super hero on the front lines of Mighty Avengers, threatening him with deportation.
If anything happened to him his son would be orphaned.

Say Spider-man was registered, then MJ has a baby and he decides to retire for good. No he can't, SHRA and Stark wont let him. He must do whatever they order him to do or he will be arrested.
Then Peter is killed by a super villian like Task master, in a very violent way, and his wife MJ and his baby are left without a father.

it would be one thing if the SHRA just made them register, but as we saw with Ares and all the files Stark has now, everyone is suseptable to being forced to join teams and go on missions whether they want to or not.

Plus, Peter's children would have to register!

"What's that, Peter Parker Jnr? You wanna be a doctor? WRONG!! You're going to work for the government and you're going to like it, you little bastard!!".

That's Tony, by the way. Probably teaching super hero kindergarden.

Exactly, same thing with Franklin Richards.
and now that the super heroes are registered they are like official SHIELD agents. Which means they get orders that they havve to follow. If they dissagree with an order or if the dissobey an order, they are arrested.

But the problem with the SHRA is that it forces any super powered person to join and work as a super hero for the Government.
Like, again, with Ares. A single father who wanted nothing to do with the super hero world. Now Stark has forced him to work as a super hero on the front lines of Mighty Avengers, threatening him with deportation.
If anything happened to him his son would be orphaned.

Say Spider-man was registered, then MJ has a baby and he decides to retire for good. No he can't, SHRA and Stark wont let him. He must do whatever they order him to do or he will be arrested.
Then Peter is killed by a super villian like Task master, in a very violent way, and his wife MJ and his baby are left without a father.

it would be one thing if the SHRA just made them register, but as we saw with Ares and all the files Stark has now, everyone is suseptable to being forced to join teams and go on missions whether they want to or not.

Originally, the SHRA was just a volunteer basis, and on some levels it still seems to be.

Why they forced Ares into it is beyond me.

They probably just used immigration laws against him, over just drafting him if I remember correctly.

"What's that, Peter Parker Jnr? You wanna be a doctor? WRONG!! You're going to work for the government and you're going to like it, you little bastard!!".

Actually, they seemed to be geared towards their specialities, over just making them fight. So he probably would become a doctor, just more or less geared toward medicine, and that's if it's still a draft.

Exactly, same thing with Franklin Richards.
and now that the super heroes are registered they are like official SHIELD agents. Which means they get orders that they havve to follow. If they dissagree with an order or if the dissobey an order, they are arrested.

Actually Franklin HAS no powers.

Oh, and as for retiring? Hardly. Anybody remember how Reed just kind of up and quit altogether to go work on his wife and him? I somehow doubt Reed, being so high up, could really get away with that in the Public's eye when they ask, "Where's Reed?" And most of the other people working with him are going to ask too.

I thought Franklin was the most powerful mutant on the planet?

I didn't think about Reed, so maybe retirment is possible. But I think Reed got away with it because he is so high up there. Someone like Peter or Wiccan want to retire I don't think they could do it so easily.

As for the forced drafting thing,
Tony and Ms. Marvel were looking at all the heroes in America they could choose from for the Mighty Avengers. I don't think he meant all the heroes they could ask to join either. I think he meant all the heroes who could be drafted.
I hope thats not the case, but it would also take some of the ergency out of the SHRA.

I thought Franklin could pretty much do anything he wanted.

Only Claremont knows how to really use the X-Men.Its a shame that this might never change.

Claremont hasn't had any idea how to use the X-Men ever since he came back. And there have been plenty of good stories not written by him (I'm currently enjoying three X-titles, none of them scripted by Claremont).

Only Claremont knows how to really use the X-Men.Its a shame that this might never change.

|
|
|
\/​

Claremont hasn't had any idea how to use the X-Men ever since he came back. And there have been plenty of good stories not written by him (I'm currently enjoying three X-titles, none of them scripted by Claremont).
I'm enjoying Astonishing X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, Cable & Deadpool, and Wolverine. All of them are freaking awesome.

Back when Claremont wrote the X-men during his legendary run there wasnt as much editorial interference and having to deal with other writers. Look how much during his last couple of books were ideas shifted around because he had to kow tow to another writer's demands. I havent read and Xmen book in a very long time. Astonishing is way too late,Uncanny upset me with the whole new X-men team and further darkening of Xavier's character and Wolverine was ridiculous when he is healing from a skeleton back to normal in a few minutes.
Also some of the best racism stories happened under CC's pen. God Loves Man Kills is the first one that comes to mind. The other was this story in New Mutants(yeah not X-men but back then continuity was so tight it might as well had been one) where a local kid is hiding that he is a mutant and some kids play a prank on him by saying X-factor(at the time they were the original X-men posing as mutant hunters) was coming after him. the boy committed suicide. Kitty Pryde spoke befrore the studant body at the local school.

No that will not happen. They will simply make Spider-Man's children register simply because they are involved with the superhero community and have superpowers. They aren't going to draft them unless they decide to become superheroes. If they want to be a doctor or a race car driver or whatever, they can be that without being forced to work for the government.

If they decide to become superheroes then Spider-Man's, Wolverine's, Cyclops', and whatever other superheroes children or associates that have superpowers, then they will be drafted.

I guess I will have to see how they treat other heroes, because the only example I have right now is Ares (which I already mentioned.) and Tony didn't seem to ponder forcing him, almost like these are the rules now.

and they sure didnt leave Cage a choice to be a hero or not

I thought Franklin was the most powerful mutant on the planet?

I didn't think about Reed, so maybe retirment is possible. But I think Reed got away with it because he is so high up there. Someone like Peter or Wiccan want to retire I don't think they could do it so easily.

As for the forced drafting thing,
Tony and Ms. Marvel were looking at all the heroes in America they could choose from for the Mighty Avengers. I don't think he meant all the heroes they could ask to join either. I think he meant all the heroes who could be drafted.
I hope thats not the case, but it would also take some of the ergency out of the SHRA.
franklin was the most powerful mutant but may have been among those depowered by the scarlet witch

No that will not happen. They will simply make Spider-Man's children register simply because they are involved with the superhero community and have superpowers. They aren't going to draft them unless they decide to become superheroes. If they want to be a doctor or a race car driver or whatever, they can be that without being forced to work for the government.

If they decide to become superheroes then Spider-Man's, Wolverine's, Cyclops', and whatever other superheroes children or associates that have superpowers, then they will be drafted.

The New Avengers Luke Cage Civil War issue seemed to imply that even if you want nothing to do with heroics, maybe one day the government will require your abilities. Iron Man said something along the lines of this to Jessica - "You've just had a baby. No one is going to ask you to go after Dr. Doom". I took that as maybe one day we will need you.

The problem with X-men is that they've been around for a long time and it's harder to do things with them creatively. I agree that we need smaller teams or fewer books perhaps, but then you'd have to neglect a lot of faves. I have the entire Uncanny run and having read through them all, it's clear there are ups and downs in the story telling. Some arcs are better than others. I would say to those that dislike the books right now to just be patient and wait, sooner or later, better creative teams will come along. :)

I don't want storylines that last years about the X-Men falling out with Xavier, and Xavier being all evil and stuff.
I like that in Ultimate X-Men because the universe is supposed to be different, but in regular continuity I just want good old Xavier.

The problem with X-men is that they've been around for a long time and it's harder to do things with them creatively. I agree that we need smaller teams or fewer books perhaps, but then you'd have to neglect a lot of faves. I have the entire Uncanny run and having read through them all, it's clear there are ups and downs in the story telling. Some arcs are better than others. I would say to those that dislike the books right now to just be patient and wait, sooner or later, better creative teams will come along. :)

I think the real problem is everyone is trying to leave this big legendary mark on the books. While that is a good attitude to have what that leaves you with is event writing. No writer is looking forward. Everyone is content to stripmine the past. I am tired of seeing Phoenix stories. Im tired of seeing Xavier made into a more ruthless person than Magneto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"