Should Marvel Sell The X-Men To News Corp Publishing?

The money is in the movies not the comics.

ta

Ralph

If there was no money in comics, they would stop making them all together. They won't drop one of their most valuable selling teams that features hundreds of characters and lose millions of dollars.

Your acting like Marvel comics doesn't like money. They do, which is why they make dozens of X-Men comics and cross them over into everything from Avengers to GOTG. Doesn't matter if they make as much as the films, it's a different business. What matters is how valuable they are to Marvel comics. And they are very valuable to them.

Comics don't cost 200-250 million dollars to make and come out once every 2-3 years either. An X-Men film needs to make around 500 million to break even. Not comparable.

Last edited:
First off, I don't think News Corp and 20th Century Fox are the same company anymore, so selling to them doesn't make much sense.
No they are not. They split a couple of years ago with 21st Century Fox being the legal successor to the original News Corporation that consists of the film studio, networks, and multimedia IPs that can be licensed out to other companies.

G'day,

I never said they didn't back money from the comics. I said the money, the real money, the big money is in the movies.

ta

Ralph

If there was no money in comics, they would stop making them all together. They won't drop one of their most valuable selling teams that features hundreds of characters and lose millions of dollars.

Your acting like Marvel comics doesn't like money. They do, which is why they make dozens of X-Men comics and cross them over into everything from Avengers to GOTG. Doesn't matter if they make as much as the films, it's a different business. What matters is how valuable they are to Marvel comics. And they are very valuable to them.

Comics don't cost 200-250 million dollars to make and come out once every 2-3 years either. An X-Men film needs to make around 500 million to break even. Not comparable.

And the only reason they get big money from the movies is because of the comics keeping interest. If they stopped making comics for the movies then the interest would drop considerably over the next few years and eventually the 'big money' would drop of to very little money.

G'day,

Exactly KevanG, exactly. So... why should Disney subsidise 20th Century Fox?

ta

Ralph

And the only reason they get big money from the movies is because of the comics keeping interest. If they stopped making comics for the movies then the interest would drop considerably over the next few years and eventually the 'big money' would drop of to very little money.

Because the movies create interest for the comics both new and old, increase awareness of the other comics/CBMs and generally encourage growth all over, both for Fox and Disney.

G'day,

If that was all there was too it Marvel wouldn't have had to bothered to get into the movie business. But they did of course. They could multiple their assets through the synergistic relationship. Marvel can't do that with the X-Men.
Thats why the Terrigen Mists was spread across the globe. Thats why Ms Marvel is an Inhuman not a mutant. As I said previously I expect the X-Men to still be there for some years yet, but Marvel are now slowly but surely replacing the role the X-Men with the Inhumans.

Ralph

Because the movies create interest for the comics both new and old, increase awareness of the other comics/CBMs and generally encourage growth all over, both for Fox and Disney.

G'day,

I never said they didn't back money from the comics. I said the money, the real money, the big money is in the movies.

ta

Ralph

But what does that have to do with their Marvel comic sales? X-Men and Deadpool sell more then Iron Man. When it comes to comics, the film earnings don't reflect the numbers or popularity they will get.

And again these are two very different mediums in terms of cost, you need to compare earnings in a completely different way. Just cause DOFP made 700 million doesn't mean that was it's profit. These films have to at least double their production to break even. If DOFP made 380 million ww it would have failed to do that, even though it's still alot of dough.

If you want a closer comparison then I would find the numbers on how much Marvel has made on certain character's comics, trades, toys, merch or whatever else they own and then how much they spent on their budget. Within a certain span of a few years as well, not just one. Likewise with film, look at digital and disc sales.

Last edited:
G'day,

ta

Ralph
The real money is not the movies, but in licensing, which Disney has full control of. Movies are an expensive and risky venture and the profit margins really aren't all that great, especially in today's era. But licensing, which the Walt Disney Company excels at, is far more profitable, a far cheaper endeavor, and far less risky.

Yeah, don't know the numbers but I'm pretty sure Marvel made more on Spider-Man this year then Sony.

Im sorry but this is incredibly stupid. Why the hell would Marvel sell them off considering all the hassle and trouble they are going through over the movie rights? Selling off the rights to their properties is exactly what landed them in the situation they are in now. Sure, they should go ahead and continue to do that.

To sum up everyones opinions: It's a terrible idea, it will not happen unless everyone involved in the Marvel/Disney side of the deal is under mind control forever.

No. Because Marvel maintains the rights to EVERYTHING else X-men related. Fox just has live action rights.

Someone refereed to the movies and comic as 'competing' but that isn't true. They're are to separate entities, this is apparent by the fact that... they are two different medias.

Plus Marvel still makes money off of X-men movies, they do get some kind of royalty, or license fee. Maybe yearly, maybe per film. Its probably 'chump change', but its literally money for doing nothing.

No. Because Marvel maintains the rights to EVERYTHING else X-men related. Fox just has live action rights.

Someone refereed to the movies and comic as 'competing' but that isn't true. They're are to separate entities, this is apparent by the fact that... they are two different medias.

Plus Marvel still makes money off of X-men movies, they do get some kind of royalty, or license fee. Maybe yearly, maybe per film. Its probably 'chump change', but its literally money for doing nothing.
he didnt say the comics compete with movies. He said Marvel's movies compete with Fox movies and compared that to the comics, if Marvel were to sell the comic rights to them as well

Why give up a property just because you don't have the movie rights? They still have everything else. Live action rights for tv, animated rights, they still have plenty to play with.

Aren't there some X-Men in the Avengers Disc Wars anime?

Anyway; no.
The X-Men are too important to let go of.
And Fox pay Marvel some money, the movies carry their logo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"