Has Marvel forgot the purpose of the X-Men?

I think the real problem is everyone is trying to leave this big legendary mark on the books. While that is a good attitude to have what that leaves you with is event writing. No writer is looking forward. Everyone is content to stripmine the past. I am tired of seeing Phoenix stories. Im tired of seeing Xavier made into a more ruthless person than Magneto.
True, and I very much agree. I am sure we will have these stories, too. Good writing is out there, X-Factor proves it. There is a good story there with niether Magneto or Chuck. We just have to be patient. :)

The New Avengers Luke Cage Civil War issue seemed to imply that even if you want nothing to do with heroics, maybe one day the government will require your abilities. Iron Man said something along the lines of this to Jessica - "You've just had a baby. No one is going to ask you to go after Dr. Doom". I took that as maybe one day we will need you.

No he was saying, you don't have to do it if you don't want to, especially since you have a kid around.

From Civil war answers

Military service excludes those under 18. Does the SHRA apply to minors? Should we expect to see teenaged heroes ordered to go up against the Hulk, for example?

Tom Brevoort: There’s a difference between being registered and being a licensed super hero. So everybody with powers must register, regardless of age—super-powers would be considered even more hazardous if they were in the hands of a minor, after all. But in most cases, it’s going to be difficult if not impossible to become a licensed super hero if you’re a minor, which could lead to some interesting problems for some characters. But nobody’s planning to throw children, super-powered or not, up against the Hulk or similar threats.

In general, I think the Registration Act was abused by plenty of people including Maria Hill plus people who hated the X-men.

Frankly, the biggest problem with the X-men lately was the fact that the hatred of mutants had gotten to be too extreme and radical as opposed to being simple prejudice. It was difficult to see the Good anymore in the story when you had people hunting down the X-men in the streets while car-bombing skyscrappers.

I felt it worked better when the X-men were hated and disliked but the hatred seemed balanced by people who were OPTIMISTIC about human/mutant relations.

From Civil war answers

Military service excludes those under 18. Does the SHRA apply to minors? Should we expect to see teenaged heroes ordered to go up against the Hulk, for example?

Tom Brevoort: There’s a difference between being registered and being a licensed super hero. So everybody with powers must register, regardless of age—super-powers would be considered even more hazardous if they were in the hands of a minor, after all. But in most cases, it’s going to be difficult if not impossible to become a licensed super hero if you’re a minor, which could lead to some interesting problems for some characters. But nobody’s planning to throw children, super-powered or not, up against the Hulk or similar threats.
this is how the ultimate universe does it ult.fury can't conscript spidey into SHIELD because peter parker is not a legal adult the same would go for say the runaways or the young avengers

speaking of the x-men, here's a look at finch's cover to x-men #200:

XMen200_1024.jpg

at first glance, i got excited to see banshee, but then i noticed jean and xorn. looks like is just an image of ALL the x-men, past and present.

anyway, here's a link to a bigger version:

http://marvel.com/wallpaper/fetchimage.htm?id=790&size=lg

Yeah, you can't go by that cover at all. Gambit looks normal in it and he's all messed up right now. :(

Can't stand Finch's art sometimes.But that spread is pretty impressive.

I miss the X-Comics of the 90s no matter how many people trash that era.Lobdell on Uncanny was just gold.From the late 200s all the way to the early 300s,the book was just great.Uncanny #299 is still one of the best X-Men stories I have ever read,that last page was just a tear jerker.

I think the only way I'd read an X-comic is if the original 5 got back together and had their own comic (no First Class doesn't count!).There is so much potential there.Having the 5 go up against the baddest villains of the MU while struggling to maintain the peace between mutants and humans.

I know Astonishing was meant to be the "superhero" book but I just couldn't get into it.A "superhero" type book with the original 5 would just be grand.

Oh yea,and Fatal Attractions is still the best x-storyline of the 90s.

I remember my first experience with the "X-Men". My mom had gotten me the first set of action figures (with red and tan Wolverine and that magnetic Magneto). These guys were WEIRD and I found that same thing when I went back and read Stan's run. The X-Men didn't seem that way again until Morrison read it. To me, all Morrison did was take the X-Men and move them forward into a world like today. Their fight WOULD be different now especially with all of the social trends that have come up. So yeah, Morrison followed Stan's trend.

It'd be nice to see something great with the X-Men again. I like Whedon's run, but it just doesn't feel quite right.

I liked the issue he brought up about the cure though. Showing mutants lining up, Beast wanting the cure and Wolverine staning in his way because an X-Men using the cure would hurt the cause. I liked alot of the social issues in that story.

I just wish they were more like that, but again, the X-Men have been around a long time. they are no longer new and different. They aren't some group that is just starting to show up and the public doesn't realy know about. Now they are very well known by the public, who they are and what they are.
So they would need to find some sort of different way to do that. Make them seem new and a possible threat to the American public again. But I think that wouldn't be very hard.

X-Men was at its peak in the late 1980`s to early 1990`s.I would say up to 1992 when Claremont first left X-Men,ever since then..it has not been the same.The last great X event was Age of Apocalypse,and even there people are divided on it.House Of M and Deadly Genesis was the real nail in the coffin.Older X-Readers know what i mean.

X-Men was at its peak in the late 1980`s to early 1990`s.I would say up to 1992 when Claremont first left X-Men,ever since then..it has not been the same.The last great X event was Age of Apocalypse,and even there people are divided on it.House Of M and Deadly Genesis was the real nail in the coffin.Older X-Readers know what i mean.

Asides from House of M, the X-Men books have been better than ever. I never thought I'd see the day where I get 4 X-books and I'm contimplating on getting 2 more :hyper:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"