Has TDK Opened the Door for Watchmen?

StorminNorman

Avenger
Reaction score
A week ago I would of thought Watchmen has a very real ceiling - commercially. The movie goer was not ready for Watchmen.

And then a little film called The Dark Knight dropped.

The Dark Knight, I believe, instantly changes expectations. It changed the audience. Not only is it a film that transcends the genre - but one that has become almost universally beloved.

People are now expecting more from a Superhero movie. We have now seen a Superhero movie, a huge summer blockbuster, be treated like a real film. Spider-Man who? Iron-what?

I think Watchmen, aided greatly by what is probably a pitch perfect trailer, has now the possibility to succeed to a degree I would of never thought possible. The Dark Knight is that reason.

Anyone else agree?

You know, I never would have thought of that myself. But I'm inclined to agree with you: if nothing else, TDK has given the moviegoing audience something to compare Watchmen to in their minds.

Yes.

Since Watchmen is more a thriller/mystery than superhero story anyway. TDK has proven that audiences can accept a more mature film with costumed characters.

I agree, unfortunately TDK made the general audience much more prepared for Watchmen. I say unfortunately because Watchmen is something that should catch people off-guard and wake them up to the idea of "superheroes" being people with deep moral flaws. It works better if you're unprepared for it.

I agree, unfortunately TDK made the general audience much more prepared for Watchmen. I say unfortunately because Watchmen is something that should catch people off-guard and wake them up to the idea of "superheroes" being people with deep moral flaws. It works better if you're unprepared for it.
I agree.

But I know I've seen at least 12 people who have started reading the graphic novel since they saw the trailer. I think that's great, since most of the time I just see people anticipate the movie rather than pick-up the source material.

Yes it did to the non comicbook reader.. Which is BIG!

Sidenote... the trailer EFFIN ROCkd

Yeah, I'm going to have to pick up the graphic novel after seening the trailer.

BTW, wasn't that the Smashing Pumpkins song from Batman and Robin remixed in that trailer?

The thing is that TDK has not only established a new record in both Opening Day and Opening Weekend, but also became the first quality movie to actually make so much money. This leads to increasing the quality demand among viewers, so, as I hope, in next two-three years most of quality films will be making more money than those dumb pop-corn blockbusters (like Spidey 3, POTC3, Shrek). Therefore, it opens new opportunities for Watchmen, if WB uses a good marketing strategy and huge promotion (similar to 300 and TDK).

I doubt Watchmen will amke any records, but if it gets more than its budget, then that already can be considered success.

Yes...it did.I never heard of this graphic novel,but I'm going to try to get it.Dark Knight very dark and it opens the door that not ALL comic books or adaptations are bright and colorful and have a happy endings.But most of the comic book heroes do have flaws ie:Iron Man who is an alcholic and only cared about himself,his money,drinking and his women.He's changed.....well just a little bit.....he's just not as dark as some or as scary as others.....:bh:

I agree.

But I know I've seen at least 12 people who have started reading the graphic novel since they saw the trailer. I think that's great, since most of the time I just see people anticipate the movie rather than pick-up the source material.

im tempted to be that 13th person.. like i said in another thread, i know NOTHING about Watchmen but iam darn sure ready to learn now. that trailer has me convinced.

you really should just go out and buy it the TPB or order it online. you can find it cheap in most places.

WATCHMEN will blow THE DARK KNIGHT out of the water in terms of it's mature approach to superheroes. It may not make as much, but that's hardly the point.

I don't really see how TDK opens the door for Watchmen. The average viewer is completely clueless about Watchmen. Why would it even occur to them that this is a movie that should or needs to be taken seriously? I truly hope the average movie goer becomes more discerning about these movies and begin to expect more, it's not that simple though. They still have to trust the creative influences. I agree a sweet trailer and a mention of "300" can be a huge help for this movie. TDK... not so much. I think the important thing, is that movie goers aren't likely to sour on the genre as long as movies like TDK are being made.

I think part of that is because this is a 12 issue miniseries graphic novel... which is less overwhelming than someone like Batman or Spider-Man who has hundreds and hundreds of comic books in various runs and miniseries. To the average person, where do you even start with something like that?

I think part of that is because this is a 12 issue miniseries graphic novel... which is less overwhelming than someone like Batman or Spider-Man who has hundreds and hundreds of comic books in various runs and miniseries. To the average person, where do you even start with something like that?

There is that, but I never saw anyone go and check out V for Vendetta when the trailer popped up, or Sin City, or 300, this is the only adaptation I've really seen achieve those results.

There is that, but I never saw anyone go and check out V for Vendetta when the trailer popped up, or Sin City, or 300, this is the only adaptation I've really seen achieve those results.

Perhaps its because there are "costumed" characters and takes place in New York City. And people probably did go out and read Sin City, 300 and Vendetta after the movies so now they're out and not waiting for the movie. Plus the "Acclaimed Graphic Novel of All Time" in the trailer couldn't have hurt.

I don't really see how TDK opens the door for Watchmen. The average viewer is completely clueless about Watchmen. Why would it even occur to them that this is a movie that should or needs to be taken seriously? I truly hope the average movie goer becomes more discerning about these movies and begin to expect more, it's not that simple though. They still have to trust the creative influences. I agree a sweet trailer and a mention of "300" can be a huge help for this movie. TDK... not so much. I think the important thing, is that movie goers aren't likely to sour on the genre as long as movies like TDK are being made.

An R rating, critical reviews and a whole marketing campaign won't get across the idea that this is a serious movie about Superheroes?

Also - the success of the trailer depended on TDK. If it had any other vessel but TDK, the audience wouldn't of been as big, or as tailor made for the movie. Most anyone who enjoys TDK should enjoy Watchmen - the same can't be said for Harry Potter.

This movie will be marketed as the deepest superhero movie ever. WB will sell it on those merits while drawing the masses with action and intrigue. Wait and see.

An R rating, critical reviews and a whole marketing campaign won't get across the idea that this is a serious movie about Superheroes?

Well, ideally yes. If that point is made clear to the GP, I don't see what TDK has contributed to it.

Also - the success of the trailer depended on TDK. If it had any other vessel but TDK, the audience wouldn't of been as big, or as tailor made for the movie. Most anyone who enjoys TDK should enjoy Watchmen - the same can't be said for Harry Potter.

This is true. The trailer has certainly benefited from TDK. TDK certainly has and will continue to provide great exposure for Watchmen. If that was your whole point, than I agree. They also need to make a point to attach the trailer to other high profile R movies. I feel like the 300 trailer being attached to The Departed was a good move.

Well, ideally yes. If that point is made clear to the GP, I don't see what TDK has contributed to it.

This is true. The trailer has certainly benefited from TDK. TDK certainly has and will continue to provide great exposure for Watchmen. If that was your whole point, than I agree. They also need to make a point to attach the trailer to other high profile R movies. I feel like the 300 trailer being attached to The Departed was a good move.

Well there are plenty R rated movies in the next month.

Step Brothers
Pineapple Express
Tropic Thunder
Mirrors

But those are comedies or horror movies.

For movies that the Watchmen teaser and eventually actual trailer should be attached to:

Eagle Eye

Body of Lies (R rated Ridley Scott film shown with TDK)
RocknRolla (Gerard Butler R rated film)

Quantum of Solace (new trailer should debut)
Australia
Harry Potter 6

Punisher:War Zone (reboot)
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (new trailer with a few changes)
The Spirit (new trailer with a few changes)

The International

is watchmen going to be an R? ( i hope so, I dont see how it couldn't be) or is WB going to make them go for PG-13?

is watchmen going to be an R? ( i hope so, I dont see how it couldn't be) or is WB going to make them go for PG-13?

WB is letting it be rated R, now the fight is a 3 hour cut, the shortest Zack will allow.

Because the mainstream was not ready to accept a R rated Superhero story before TDK, IMO. I think TDK was able to use the Batman name and create a market for mature Superhero movies - something not really seen before.

I believe TDK has vastly increased the potential audience for Watchmen which is the basis for this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"