***** Galore said:
my hair is too long now. what other 80's styles are there? i need a change

Go ginger...

annielennoxctwpbfla.jpg

jag

Alright, let's bump this sucker:

Today's band is Rough Cutt.

From Rockdetector:

ROUGH CUTT separated themselves from the 80s hair band flock by way of a distinctly heavier, riff driven attitude and the remarkable, classic Rock tones of lead vocalist PAUL SHORTINO. Formed in San Diego as SARGE, the initial line-up of ROUGH CUTT featured Shortino, guitarist Jake Williams, ex-MAGIC keyboard player Claude Steel, bassist Joey Cristo (real name Cristofanelli and ex-RATT) with drummer David Alford (also ex-RATT). The band thus contributed two tracks 'A Little Kindness' and 'Used & Abused', both produced by Ronnie James Dio, to the compilation album 'L.A's Hottest Unsigned Bands' issued in 1983.

ROUGH CUTT underwent severe membership changes soon afterwards however with both Jake Williams and Claude Steel (nee Schnell) joining management stable mates DIO. Williams liaison with DIO was fleeting though and before long he had turned up in arch rival OZZY OSBOURNE's band renaming himself Jakey Lou then the more familiar JAKE E. LEE. In this period of turmoil for ROUGH CUTT former QUIET RIOT and DOKKEN guitarist Greg Leon made a fleeting appearance in the ranks before returning to his own INVASION project.

Joey Cristo also departed, later to turn up in the SIN spin-off group JAG WIRE for their 'Made In Heaven' album. The bass position was taken by Alford's former RATT comrade in arms Matt Thorr (real name Matt Thorne), who had been a founding member of that band. Another ex-RATTster, guitarist Chris Hager, took the place of Lee.

At this point erstwhile VENGEANCE guitarist Craig Goldie was recruited to the group. He stayed within the ranks long enough to play on a version of 'Try A Little Harder' (produced by Ronnie James Dio) that was entered to the Miller High Life sponsored 'Rock To Riches' contest in 1983. The track subsequently appeared on the local radio station KLOS 95.5 compilation album released in connection with the competition. Goldie would ultimately hook up with GIUFFRIA, DRIVER and DIO, necessitating the recruitment of Amir Derakh.

With a stable line-up, ROUGH CUTT was eventually signed to Warner Brothers. They were showcased at the Marquee Club in London on Friday April 13, 1984 well in advance of entering the studio back in Los Angeles to cut an eponymously titled album in 1985 that was produced by Tom Allom and cleverly employed Shortino's talents on the perfectly matched JANIS JOPLIN cover 'Piece of My Heart'. Promoting the debut album, ROUGH CUTT put in European dates followed by a Japanese festival appearance on the same billing as MAMAS BOYS, FOREIGNER, DIO and EARTHSHAKER before a return to America opening for KROKUS and ACCEPT. A two month lay off was curtailed by yet more shows this time with HELIX and DIO.

ROUGH CUTT quite bizarrely gained extra nationwide exposure by appearing as a token Metal band in an episode of the hit TV series 'Fame'' and Shortino having a cameo role in the spoof hit movie 'This Is SPINAL TAP'.

A high quality second album, 'Wants You!', was recorded with producer Jack Douglas and was issued during 1986. The band split up after Shortino had left for QUIET RIOT and Thorr had joined L.A. ROCKS. A period working with ex-WARRIOR vocalist Parramore McCarty in late 1987 failed to work out and Amir Derakh, Chris Hager and David Alford joined JAILHOUSE. The erstwhile ROUGH CUTT trio joined forces with band founders vocalist Danny Simon and guitarist Mike Raphael and hit the Los Angeles club scene with less Blues based Hard Rock fare. The resulting live album, culled from earlier performances, that emerged in 1998 also had the benefit of three new studio tracks.

In a quite spectacular turnaround in musical styles, Derakh returned to the fore in 1998 as a member of the highly successful Nu-Metal band ORGY, signed to KORN's Elementree label. The guitarist, playing down his former association with ROUGH CUTT, had also made a name for himself in the production of COAL CHAMBER's debut.

With the new millennium Shortino had forged a union with former FLAME / AEROSMITH guitarist Jimmy Crespo and keyboard player J.T. Garrett titled RHYTHM JUNKIES. Pulling in his erstwhile QUIET RIOT colleague and former HOUSE OF LORDS bassist Sean McNabb with drummer John Homan the band was retitled ROUGH CUTT and cut the 'Sneak Preview' mini album. Production was handled by another ROUGH CUTT veteran Matt Thorr.

2000 also witnessed Shortino contributing vocals to a version of 'On Through The Night' included on the DEF LEPPARD tribute album 'Leppardmania'. The following year both Shortino and Crespo would be included on the AEROSMITH tribute 'Aerosmithsonian' giving their rendition of 'Rock In A Hard Place'.

By September the newly announced version of ROUGH CUTT would witness a transformation to THE CUTT. Shortino believing that with only himself as an original member a change of identity was prudent. Both NIGHTRANGER's BRAD GILLIS and HEART's Howard Leese would also be added to the list of session players on the album.

The classic ROUGH CUTT line-up of Paul Shortino, Amir Derakh, Matt Thorr, Chris Hager and David Alford announced a one off reunion show at the West Hollywood Viper Room venue for October 21st 2002. Thorr (Thorn) would guest on STEPHEN PEARCY's 2004 'Fueler' album. Shortino continued his working relationship with guitarist J.K. NORTHRUP with the SHORTINO/NORTHRUP 'Afterlife' record of 2004, released through MTM Music, featured the XYZ credited keyboard player Nir Averbuch. Also guesting in the studio would be the FOREIGNER and NORTHRUP credited Johnny Edwards delivering backing vocals on 'Crazy Mind' and Swedish guitarist TOMMY DENANDER of RADIOACTIVE and PRISONER repute on the song 'Feel Again'. That same year the singer made time to front a HEAVEN AND EARTH album 'Screaming For Redemption'.

German Heavy Metal band POWERGOD cut a cover version of ROUGH CUTT's 'Cutt Your Heart Out' for inclusion on their 'Long Live The Loud – That's Metal Lesson II' released through Massacre Records in July 2005. That same Summer, ROUGH CUTT veterans Paul Shortino and Matt Thorn announced a brand new band project in union with VICIOUS RUMORS guitarist Ira Black and the YNGWIE MALMSTEEN credited Patrick Johansson on drums. Meantime, Amir Derakh would act as co-producer on LINKIN PARK frontman Chester Bennington's debut solo album.

jag

PLAS said:
I don't recall any 80's hairdo that looks actually decent

The Mullet is back.

Here's a super one to go batty over.

bat%20mullet.jpg

:)

- Whirly

I'm gonna resurrect this thread with a CURRENT, recording and touring band comprised of a bunch of 80's throwbacks. They take all the pompousness, arrogance, balls out rock and roll and cockiness of the 80's hair metal and play it up with a touch of tongue-in-cheek self-grandeur. Who am I talking about?

Big Cock. Yes....that is really their name.

http://www.bigcockrocks.com/
http://www.myspace.com/bigcockrocks

From Rockdetector.com:

With a project title of BIG COCK the pairing of LYNCH MOB's Robert Mason and erstwhile KING KOBRA guitarist David Michael Phillips (a.k.a. David Henzerling) could only succeed in making an impact by announcing the "rebirth of American cock Rock". Mason also held a tradition fronting MAGNUM, ADRIAN DODZ and THE PACT. After a spell with SILENT WITNESS he went onto front CRY OF LOVE. Mason was fleetingly singer for RATT in 2000 and parallel to Big COCK would front up Troy Lucketta's ALIVE. On drums would be ex-SCHOOLBOYS man John Covington. A formative 2001 BIG COCK line-up included former SURGICAL STEEL bassist Mark Lehman.

The BIG COCK album 'Year Of The Cock' made headlines in mid 2005. However, much of the material was in fact re-recorded from archive songs, including 'Mean Street Machine', which had already been laid down by THE SCHOOLBOYS, ICON and KING KOBRA. The song 'Cinammon' had been first recorded by TOMCATS.

BIG COCK, retaining a stable line-up, released a second album, simply titled 'Big Cock', in July 2006.

Also, the first review of their latest album on Amazon really sums them up well:

By "perfect", I mean an act that is so completely, utterly ITSELF, always and all the time, and so completely sui generis, that it cannot be parodied. To parody it would be to become it, only less so. Performers who are, in a sense, self-aware and self-parody, yet both so total that it isn't a parody, since they are never anything else. That is, they cannot be reflected in the mirror of self-awareness or self-parody, for they are a mirror of themselves to infinity, and therefore cannot cast a reflection. Performers who so perfectly manifest one particular attitude or style or worldview that they BECOME it: the abstract, platonic essence of some artistic concept becomes material reality, and the two are one.

The first of these is Elvis Presley, Rockabilly incarnate.

The second of these is Manowar, the earthly manifestation of Metal.

The third is this band, "Large Rooster", the platonic essence of all that which is Hard.

I never even much liked sleaze metal/hard rock, the genre this album is in. But I recognize genius when I hear it. This band IS everything every sleaze rock band since Bon Scott's version of AC/DC has ever tried to be, wished to be, and only sometimes succeeded in being: Large Rooster succeeds at being this on every note of every song, because THEY ARE THAT AND CAN BE NO OTHER. After hearing them, it is inconceivable that a band could do this kind of music any better, that any vocalist could possibly sound better at it than this one, or that this kind of lyrics could be any more intentionally insane, and yet delivered so casually, perfectly straight and without irony. Hearing this, one can only stand at attention, as one does when the cock crows announcing the dawn.

This band transcends irony, they transcend parody, and they transcend the genre of sleaze to reach some other plane of existence, one only hinted at by every band that came before them. Their two records must be experienced to be believed. They are awesome accomplishments.

They're loud, rude, crude, full of themselves, and they know it. They also rock. If you are a fan of hard rock and sleaze metal, they are definitely worth a listen.

jag

Thanks for thinking of 'em, but those aren't exactly obscure, Scotty. Those are pretty well known bands, dude.

jag

The Mullet is back.

Here's a super one to go batty over.

bat%20mullet.jpg

:)

- Whirly

What is sad is that when I was in the 8th grade back in '89 and I wanted to get that done so badly. Fortunately, my mom wouldn't let me.

I recently sat through the Holy Soldier DVD, which has a bunch of other videos from bands like "Neon Cross" and "Ultimatum"....and it was amazing how almost every single band had a fat, but highly skilled guitarist, a kickass drummer and then a prettier singer, who sang worse than your wasted Mom at karaoke night.
It got ridiculous. I felt so sorry for every one of these lame-ass Christian "metal" bands 'cause all the musicians were really good, they deserved better.

But the funny one was a Christian METAL band. It was one where they do the Cookie Monster singing.
Hahaha, yes, I'm sure you'll win boatloads of souls with those convicting, compelling lyrics....like:

":mad:Woaf woaf MarRrhgle ubby-dubby rOrmf!! Ushuggapukka!!!:mad:"

lol

Thanks for thinking of 'em, but those aren't exactly obscure, Scotty. Those are pretty well known bands, dude.

jag
well, Hurricane is the most obscure of all those

anyone here remembers Rough Male?

I recently sat through the Holy Soldier DVD, which has a bunch of other videos from bands like "Neon Cross" and "Ultimatum"....and it was amazing how almost every single band had a fat, but highly skilled guitarist, a kickass drummer and then a prettier singer, who sang worse than your wasted Mom at karaoke night.
It got ridiculous. I felt so sorry for every one of these lame-ass Christian "metal" bands 'cause all the musicians were really good, they deserved better.

But the funny one was a Christian METAL band. It was one where they do the Cookie Monster singing.
Hahaha, yes, I'm sure you'll win boatloads of souls with those convicting, compelling lyrics....like:

":mad:Woaf woaf MarRrhgle ubby-dubby rOrmf!! Ushuggapukka!!!:mad:"

lol
hey, don't mess with Death Metal, there were some pretty cool Christian death metal bands, some of them continue to this day, like Believer, Tourniquet, Mortification, etc

Tourniquet is a good name.
I'm sure they're great, but did they convert you?
Most of these bands consider what they do to be "ministry" lol

well, Hurricane is the most obscure of all those

anyone here remembers Rough Male?

Slaughter, Vixen and Lynch Mob were all much bigger than Hurricane as far as exposure and popularity goes, too. I think Hurricane had one hit single with "I'm On To You", in which half the lyrics are "Nah nah nah nahnah nah...I'm on to you." :dry:

jag

I can't remember the band, but there's some superb hair metal song that goes

See you in Hell!

See you in Hell, my friend.

See you in Hell.

See you in Hell.

SEE YOU IN HELL!

SEE YOU IN HELL, my friend.

See you in Hell.

lol

See You In Hell - by Grim Reaper

See you in hell!!!

can i make you an offer
you can't refuse

i kept my eyes on you
cause i tell you that you lose

and you can come with me
to a place you'll know so well

and i will take you
to the very gates of hell

CHORUS
See you in hell my friend
I'll see you in hell!!!

Your choice's up then
how many sins can be yours

at my kingdom final choice
is yours!

you can take it
any time that you need

next thing I'll borrow
all you've got to do is bleed

CHORUS>

Interlude:
Come with me, i will take you down
to the very depths of your soul
and i'll make you burn!!!

See you...see you in hell!!!
See you...see you in hell!!!

See you in hell!!!

can i make you an offer
you can't refuse

i kept my eyes on you
cause i tell you that you lose

and you can come with me
to a place you'll know so well

like i told you
at the very gates of hell

CHORUS>

Hahaha! :D

jag

My favorite bad hair metal lyrics are from a band called Omen with a little ditty they wrote called "Be My Wench":

She comes to me in the middle of the night wearing only silk and lace
Bearing the gifts of sex and wine with a burning embrace
Long wavy hair of flaxen gold surrounds me in a dream
She's too young to be so bold I wanna make her scream
[Chorus:]
Be my wench tonight oh maiden so fair
Be my wench tonight pleasure is yours if you dare
Don't you worry that I won't give in the proof is right there in your hand
Some will say you are living in sin but they don't understand
The truth is you have nothing to lose woman come here to me
If it is lust and desire you choose I'll set your spirit free
[Chorus]
Live in the moment passions run wild what pleasure it brings
You have the body and face of a child you've never felt such things
The truth is you have nothing to lose woman come here to me
If it is lust and desire you choose I'll set your spirit free
[Chorus]

LOFL! That is just horrible writing and I love it. :D

jag

Hahahaha GRIM REAPERRRrrrr!!!:cmad:

I just remembered, the chick who bought the Holy Soldier DVD, we like to watch Hair Metal videos together....so she Tivoed the 20 best metal songs on VH1, and I had never seen the video for "Blind In Texas" by W.A.S.P. before but it's so awesome.

W.A.S.P. is in the Old West, so it's Cowboys, ****es and W.A.S.P.

So of course they're performing in a saloon, and inexplicably, they take a break in the middle of the song, to have an armadillo race....there's a little enclosed track for the armadillos, and then Blackie Lawless takes his prize armadillo out of a CASE, like it's his pool cue or something.

He keeps an armadillo in a case, and enters it in a race, to make some money in an Old West Salloon.
I was thinking it should've been a feature length film!!

Heh! Here, Wil:

W.A.S.P. - Blind In Texas.

"Whatta YOU want?"

"We're here to play a gig!"

"What's a gig?"

With all the cowboys just staring at them in disbelief while W.A.S.P. plays their hearts out. LOL! I truly believe Blacky Lawless is borderline insane.

jag

Today's obscure 80's hair band is: HELIX!

From rockdetector.com:

A Canadian Hard Rock institution founded in Ontario during 1975 by the Doerner brothers, Brent on guitar and Brian on drums, renowned frontman BRIAN VOLLMER, guitarist Paul Hackman and bass player Keith 'Bert' Zurbrigg. HELIX have made an indelible mark on the international Rock scene with their catchy Hard Rock numbers, notoriously racy videos and their undoubted staying power. The band have two platinum albums and four gold records to their name.

Rejuvenated, HELIX, namely Vollmer and Gray with a variety of hired guns did a number of small Canadian tours, coast to coast playing in small towns from a van, much like the early days of the band. The constant exposure saw the crowds growing each successive time and soon the band was playing large clubs and small halls in the major centers. The band also issued a DVD version of their rare home video, ‘S.E.X.-Rated’ which features the two adult versions of ‘Gimmie Good Lovin’ and ‘Rock You’, as well as many of their other videos.

I mostly remember these guys for the "Gimme, Gimme Good Lovin'" video with Tracy Lords in it. They tried to be sort of a party band, but there really wan't all that much memorable about these guys in comparison with some of the other acts of the day.

jag

I don't know... this is pretty unforgettable:

youtube link removed on advice from Jag

(chorus-1)
Give me an R-O-C-K
Whatcha got (ROCK)
And whatcha gonna do (ROCK YOU)
Gimme an R-O-C-K
Whatcha got (ROCK)
And whatcha gonna do (ROCK YOU)

Hot as a pistol
Loaded like a gun
Waiting for some action
Gotta have my fun
Don't just sit there
C'mon get up and move
If you want to
Tell ya' what we're gonna do

(chorus-2)
Rock you (ROCK YOU)
Rock You (ROCK YOU)

I've been waiting for so long
For the outcome
Gotta play it strong
So just don't sit there
C'mon get up and move
If you want to

(chorus-2)

(chorus-1)

(solo)

Rock you
Don't just sit there
C'mon get up and move
If you want to
(chorus-2-out)

Errr....you linked to the unrated, topless-women-prancing-around-and-flaunting-their-naked-boobies version of that video, red. Might wanna take that down. (But thanks for the nice visuals :D ).

I dunno....pretty generic rock band, really. Ask your average person if they remember Quiet Riot. I bet they go "Come on feel the noize!" or "Bang your head!". Then ask them if they remember Helix. They'll go :dry: or :huh: .

jag

Link removed... thanks for watching my back jag... (didn't realize there were naked bodies in it, I listened to it but didn't actually watch it, was reading stuff in here instead).

I'm one of those folk who's more likely to recognize the music/songs than the artists name anyways.

Leave it to red to tart the thread up. :D

jag

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"