BvS Have you seen the movie multiple times? If yes, has your opinion changed?

Lex had motivations. They were just thin. One little mention in the middle of his fast talking nonsense about an abusive father. Either God is all powerful and not knowing or the opposite. He wants to punish God, so he's punishing Superman. Big whoop. .

He explains his motivation in his scene in his father's study with Senator Finch then expands on it with Superman on the rooftop.

Add these up;
"You know the oldest lie in America senator, that power can be innocent."
"I learnt a long time ago that you can't be all powerful and all good. If you're all good you can't be all powerful. You need to be exposed for the fraud you are."
"No one can down from the sky to save me from daddy's fists every night."

Lex wants to impose his view on the world. Wow, ironic in the internet age isn't it. His daddy was clearly respected and powerful but at home abused Lex, the oldest lie that power is innocent.

I saw it a third time finally this past Tuesday. I went to a proper IMAX 3D showing instead of that pseudo IMAX I saw on the first screening. The second viewing was a regular non-3D version.

Having said that, the first time I saw it, I was overwhelmed by the movie. It was really different to the usual superhero formula (except the 3rd act). It was also much darker than I expected, specially with that somber ending. A lot of things stood out and I kept thinking back to the movie, replaying it in my head. I couldn't wait to see it again. I also read the forum which made me understand A LOT of DC references in the movie. That made me even more eager to see it again.

For the second viewing, I went with my friend who had also seen it but promised me we'd see it together. Went regular screening with no 3D. I found myself really looking and examining every scene to try and spot Easter eggs and references. Always thinking ahead to the next scene. This in turn made me not enjoy it as much the second time around and it felt exhausting somewhat. Granted this was only a few days later after the initial viewing.

The third time came this past Tuesday when I went with my cousin. We went for the big guns and chose IMAX 3D which I've been dying to see it in that format. It was a month after the initial viewing which also very likely helped the viewing experience. The 3D was excellent and I found myself once again really immersed into the movie. More so than the first viewing and not even comparable to the second viewing. I loved every bit of it except the doomsday battle. Which compared to the rest of the movie, sticks out of place and doesn't in my opinion match the dark ultra serious tone of the movie. That part felt like the typical by the numbers superhero movie final fight.

I ended up loving the movie even more after this and cannot wait to see what's next. Really eager to see the extended cut as well.

He explains his motivation in his scene in his father's study with Senator Finch then expands on it with Superman on the rooftop.

Add these up;
"You know the oldest lie in America senator, that power can be innocent."
"I learnt a long time ago that you can't be all powerful and all good. If you're all good you can't be all powerful. You need to be exposed for the fraud you are."
"No one can down from the sky to save me from daddy's fists every night."

Lex wants to impose his view on the world. Wow, ironic in the internet age isn't it. His daddy was clearly respected and powerful but at home abused Lex, the oldest lie that power is innocent.
So that made him an annoying cartoon character who wants to kill Superman by putting him against another human like Batman? Sounds thin to me. They were handed a better motivation on a silver platter. One that isn't random, one that ties into the previous film. The destruction of Metropolis. Instead we get a statue for Superman which only one person vandalizes, a dumb subplot in Africa where Superman is put on trial (instead of putting him on trial for the end of MOS). Lex ends up becoming this random character with an annoying personality. We could have had a multi layered Luthor who felt like a real person among these superheroes.

Last edited:
So that made him an annoying cartoon character who wants to kill Superman by putting him against another human like Batman? Sounds thin to me. They were handed a better motivation on a silver platter. One that isn't random, one that ties into the previous film. The destruction of Metropolis. Instead we get a statue for Superman which only one person vandalizes, a dumb subplot in Africa where Superman is put on trial (instead of putting him on trial for the end of MOS). Lex ends up becoming this random character with an annoying personality. We could have had a multi layered Luthor who felt like a real person among these superheroes.
Lex doesn't want to kill Superman, once armed with the extra kryptonite he could have done that himself. He wants to destroy the lie that Superman represents, that power is innocent, the framework of Lex's childhood beaten in to him by his father. If that's thin then you must hate the whole Batman persona because his life was shaped by an incident whereas Lex's was shaped over years.
The destruction of Metropolis isn't enough of a motivator, that would just make Lex as interesting as Ronin or some other disposable villains on screen lately.

I'd take a dozen disposable villains over one that's outright terrible.

Lex doesn't want to kill Superman, once armed with the extra kryptonite he could have done that himself. He wants to destroy the lie that Superman represents, that power is innocent, the framework of Lex's childhood beaten in to him by his father. If that's thin then you must hate the whole Batman persona because his life was shaped by an incident whereas Lex's was shaped over years.
The destruction of Metropolis isn't enough of a motivator, that would just make Lex as interesting as Ronin or some other disposable villains on screen lately.
Right, cuz 1 or 2 lines about his father using fists on him is great motivation and better than Batman. Again, it's hard to take your posts seriously when talking about characterization, when you were the one who said Batman has no moral code in the comics, that he's a criminal, doesn't care about helping others.

Getting hit by your father shouldn't make you a psycho who wants to be a God, wants to kill other people, creates monsters to....wait a minute...you said Lex doesn't want to kill Superman? I guess we watched a different movie because Doomsday was created for what? To get the job done if Batman couldn't. He screwed with Batmans head so he can get angrier and want to kill this alien off. If he won't do it, the devil will. This is your doomsday. That's what he says to Supes.

Everything is really vague with Lex. He talks in riddles, and in the middle of that gibberish, he drops a line about abuse. Paper thin motivations for wanting to kill people. He has his goons kill people at any cost, throws Lois off a building just cuz it's fun. Doesn't matter if she does, if she doesn't, it's because Superman caught her. He knows Bruce's identity, Clark's identity and we're just supposed to say "oh it's fine, it's the first time we met this character, spent a half hour with him, but he's smart I guess?". Lazy stuff right there.

He's not a real character. He doesn't feel real. He's not believable. Lex from the comics if translated well, would feel like a real person and have motivation that the audience could understand on the surface. A dynamic character. And his motivations would tie into the overall story that begun with MOS. But nahhh, we'll settle for this random guy who happens to have his own weird family problems that we don't give a crap about. And he's gonna use it to get what he wants. How is that better than the Lex everyone's been suggesting??

This Lex and Doomsday are some of the worst villains in the history of this genre on film. And they're both in the same movie. If you add Batman as a villain, he makes three. Like someone said, Bruce Wayne in this movie is the most accurate depiction of Lex Luthor on screen. I've said that Senator Finch behaved like how Bruce should have at times. As Batman, we get Rorschach in a different costume. We get a rich ***** version of Edward Nygma (who Eisenberg should have played) instead of Lex. We get a variation of Superman that feels more like Dr Manhattan. Wonder Woman is all surface...good looks/ass-kicker. Everything is so ass backwards it makes my stomach turn. But the visuals are cool!!!!!!! Right!??

Last edited:
I find it absurd that the movie ends with Lex saying that "something is coming" when we haven't been clued into what he knows, how he knows it, when he found out, how that knowledge has informed him or his motivations, or why we should care.
If someone can shed some light on this, it'd be appreciated. I saw the deleted scene so I understand that clears it up but based on the theatrical cut, it came completely out of left field. Is there a scene I'm missing where this is cleared up or hinted at?

Last edited:
I find it absurd that the movie ends with Lex saying that "something is coming" when we haven't been clued into what he knows, how he knows it, when he found out, how that knowledge has informed him or his motivations, or why we should care.
If someone can shed some light on this, it'd be appreciated. I saw the deleted scene so I understand that clears it up but based on the theatrical cut, it came completely out of left field. Is there a scene I'm missing where this is cleared up or hinted at?
A lazy attempt to hype up another movie. That's all it is. Amazing Spider-Man 2 did the same thing with the sinister six crap at the end. They're more focused on hyping up a universe than giving a good movie that stands on its own. Without the good movie, nobody cares about the future. Especially when you're hyping up a character the general audience has never heard of even once. And they never say the name of that threat in the film.

Once is all this will ever get from me.

Guys, quit your arguing please. This isn't the review thread. We already have a ton of threads that have turned into endless debates about the quality of the movie (or lack thereof for some). This is just to share your experience wether your view has changed upon subsequent viewings. That's all.

Loved it first time, loved it second, loved it third. Adore it.

Saw it again last night. Still think it's a fantastic movie.

the more you watch it the more you can appreciate and enjoy the movie... especially after you read some of the articles and verified them in the movie.

it just like a red wine... taste just getting better...

I've seen it twice, it's a 7/7 and a half for me. I will wait for the UC before i see it again.

When I first saw it, I didn't hate it, I wanted to love it, but ended up just liking it.

Second time I loved it. Maybe it's because I expected something so different, not sure. Excited for the UC though!

when i first saw it, i didn't hate it, i wanted to love it, but ended up just liking it.

Second time i loved it. Maybe it's because i expected something so different, not sure. Excited for the uc though!

uc???

People said that MOS and Sucker Punch's reputation would improve over time, and that has not happened. Instead, their reputations have gotten worse.

Really? Most people I speak to seem to think it's a good movie.
I'd rate MoS way above TIH, CA:TFA, Thor1+2, IM2,3, AoU and Ant-Man and definitely over the last 3 Spider-man films. It's not quite up there with Batman Begins for an origin film but is on par or almost on-par with Iron Man.

Man Of Steel is probably the most divisive blockbuster I've seen in a long time. People think it's either a masterpiece or pretentious schlock. There's very little middle ground.

I'd call it a C- movie, but after DOJ it's almost like picking on a little kid when criticizing it.

I thibj a lot of people warmed up to MOS over time. Even the editor ib chief of Rotten Tomatoes wrote an editorial saying he was baffled at the polarizing reviews.

Sucker Punch......I dont think most people care one way or the other. I'm actually craving to see this again. I only saw it once and,my feelings were very conflicted but there was so much to take in. I feel like i'm going to end up really liming it the second time and may end up loving the Ultimate Edition.

Lex was terrible and mischaracterized in this movie. Nothing will change that for me.

However, as Jaxon puts it, if that indeed was the heart of his motivations, I can totally understand it. I don't agree with it and I didn't want it for Lex fricken Luthor, but it is what it is. It makes sense for what it's worth.

I hated BVS's dreary tone and multiple viewings are unlikely to change my feelings. I only want to watch the DC to see if the plot's improved any.

Lex was terrible and mischaracterized in this movie. Nothing will change that for me.

However, as Jaxon puts it, if that indeed was the heart of his motivations, I can totally understand it. I don't agree with it and I didn't want it for Lex fricken Luthor, but it is what it is. It makes sense for what it's worth.

The problem with Lex for most viewers is they are expecting a Lex that just wants his "classic" motivation or something as veiled as a guy just wanting to be the most powerful.

Snyder gives the audience credit for actually being able to piece things together, and I think that's why people progressively like his movies more and more over time because the story is all there, you just have to piece it together along the way and it can be overwhelming on first versions.

I find this version of Lex much more compelling and far more relatable if there was such a person out there who would obsessively be trying to discredit Superman as well as subverting the other metas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"