Hbo's -ROME- SEASON 2:The Offical Discussion thread.

Oh I am sure about facts what I am saying is you don't have to use the major players. Now if you guys are just worried about their (major players of the series) time line then yes it wouldn't work. But I believe that you can move past them because Rome has so much history. Hell I think you could carry the series if you wanted to the fall of the Romain Empire.

No Pullo, no Vorenus, no point in making it. I mean Purefoy and the other players were great but those two were the show.

No Pullo, no Vorenus, no point in making it. I mean Purefoy and the other players were great but those two were the show.

precisely, if you want to see the story continue, watch I Claudius, which is still fantastic, and picks up the story pretty much when it gets exciting again.

Rome without a majority of the original cast, is ROME (the television series) in name only. It's that simple.

A prequel wouldn't work for me because Pullo and Vorenus weren't friends yet. Their friendship was the meat of the show to me...

Didn't know there was a thread for this show :eek: I am a fanatic :D :D :D OOOOOOOOH I wanted another 4-5 seasons :(

Has anyone listened to the S2 commentary for the final ep? I still would like to know what the series makers said about Vorenus' death....or life....

Has anyone listened to the S2 commentary for the final ep? I still would like to know what the series makers said about Vorenus' death....or life....

I finally got around to watching the commentary on the last episode. Sorry they don't say much about Vorenus' "death". The only thing they kind of mentioned was that Vorenus and Pullo would have to have been very hearty soldiers of that time because historically the legionaries didn't live very long. They said this at the final fight where Vorenus gets stabbed.

On an semi-related Rome note. If HBO decides to do A Game of Thrones, I think it will satisfy the Rome fans out there. If you haven't read it do yourself a favor and pick up a copy.

Just started re-watching this OnDemand and forgot how much i loved Vorenus and Pullo!

Little early for Throw back Thursday init? lol

It's never too early to reminisce about this awesome, criminally underrated and cruelly prematurely cancelled show. :o

Titus Pullo is a legend!

Rome had a lot of great characters. Vorenus and Pullo were the best, but I also hold a special place for Mark Antony and Atia, both were fantastic in their villainous, self serving ways.

I cheered and lmao when Pullo bit that guys tongue off and spit it at him. Thats the kind of stuff that made Pullo so awesome.

Antony, Atia, Pullo, Vorenus were all great characters, and this show had an amzing eye for detail and quality. Just imagine if Rome had gotten the love and budget of GOT. Would have been something to behold.

Just binge rewatched this over the weekend.

Even 10 years later, 'Rome' remains one of my favorite shows and Titus Pullo is one of the best, most fully realized and underrated characters to ever grace the small screen. Mark Antony, Cleopatra and Caesar all got excellent portrayals as well.

It's such a shame this show only got two seasons (and they had to compress their plans for later seasons into the second half of season 2) and the movie never happened. I liked 'Spartacus' (at least the first season) and 'I, Claudius' as well, but for me, nothing comes close to 'Rome' as far as the Ancient Roman epic genre goes.

Rome certainly set the bar for it's genre.

This show also holds the distinction for being one of the rare TV series' that caused me to openly yell at the screen. Pullo's gladiatorial fight at the end of season one with Vorenus looking on completely captivated me the first time I saw it. It also remains one of the greatest action sequences in TV history, not only for the choreography but for the emotional weight behind it as well.

Rome certainly set the bar for it's genre.

This show also holds the distinction for being one of the rare TV series' that caused me to openly yell at the screen. Pullo's gladiatorial fight at the end of season one with Vorenus looking on completely captivated me the first time I saw it. It also remains one of the greatest action sequences in TV history, not only for the choreography but for the emotional weight behind it as well.

That scene could hold its own against any action-piece from 'Gladiator.'

My favorite Pullo moment is and always will be him biting that one guy's tongue off. I remember yelling and cheering. Such a badass insane crazy moment.

Vorenus and Pullo had one of the greatest bromances. I loved when Vorenus got pissed at him on the sinking ship after Pullo insulted the Gods. Or Vorenus passing Cleopatra off to him and then trying to sleep through the racket of them having sex.

One of my favorite Pullo and Vorenus moments was when they went to that slave camp to rescue Vorenus' children.

Yes, that was another classic moment!
It's a shame crap like 'True Blood' got 7 or however many seasons, while this only got 2.

The difference of course, being shows like True Blood don't cost $10M an episode or whatever the insane productions costs were for Rome.

The difference of course, being shows like True Blood don't cost $10M an episode or whatever the insane productions costs were for Rome.

The first season of Rome cost $100 million. HBO contributed $85 million. BBC contributed $15 million. To this day it's still the most BBC has ever spent on a show. They back out of season 2 and HBO tried to do it alone and they couldnt.

The first season of Rome cost $100 million. HBO contributed $85 million. BBC contributed $15 million. To this day it's still the most BBC has ever spent on a show. They back out of season 2 and HBO tried to do it alone and they couldnt.

I think now in a post-'Game of Thrones', post-crowdsourcing funding environment, they might have been able to pull it off. Maybe.

I think now in a post-'Game of Thrones', post-crowdsourcing funding environment, they might have been able to pull it off. Maybe.
That's probably true, but perhaps ironically, Game of Thrones was a big part of the reason HBO decided they couldn't do it. They had already funneled so much money into the development of that show, they couldn't afford both. That's why James Purefoy has said he could never be on GoT - he blames it for Rome's demise.

That's probably true, but perhaps ironically, Game of Thrones was a big part of the reason HBO decided they couldn't do it. They had already funneled so much money into the development of that show, they couldn't afford both. That's why James Purefoy has said he could never be on GoT - he blames it for Rome's demise.

This is news to me. Do you have articles? I'm not doubting you, but it just sounds strange since 'Rome' was cancelled in 2007 and 'GoT' premiered in 2011.

And Purefoy's Mark Antony was also great. Probably my second favorite character on the show after Pullo.

This is news to me. Do you have articles? I'm not doubting you, but it just sounds strange since 'Rome' was cancelled in 2007 and 'GoT' premiered in 2011.

And Purefoy's Mark Antony was also great. Probably my second favorite character on the show after Pullo.
Game of Thrones went into development in 2007:

http://variety.com/2007/scene/markets-festivals/hbo-turns-fire-into-fantasy-series-1117957532/

And while I can't link to the Purefoy interview because he uses some colorful language, if you Google "James Purefoy" and "Game of Thrones," you'll find it. Here's an excerpt:

James Purefoy said:
He worked out that if Rome had run for the entire seven seasons that it should have run, we would only have finished it last year. And he feels that HBO did Game of Thrones instead of us, so they stole our show. I kind of agree with him. I won’t be doing Game Of Thrones, even if they ask me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"