Hbo's -ROME- SEASON 2:The Offical Discussion thread.

Well…. that pisses me off even more. I like GoT, but not nearly as much as I do ROME.

Yeah, I love GoT (the books more than anything though), but man, do I miss Rome.

I had no idea that GOT went into production all the way back in 2007. Damn. In that case it's almost certain that HBO cancelled Rome to fund GOT.:(

This leaves me very torn, as I do like GoT. I just wish HBO could have found a way to accomodate both shows.

Damn….. :( To think we could have been watching Titus Pullo into 2012 or so.

Every time I see this thread bumped I start to get my hopes up on a renewal only to leave sad.

Oh man. Now I have to do a rewatch. Thanks a lot for digging up my 6-year-old post, Arms! :argh: :oldrazz:

LOL I just did a search for Rome and you were the first friendly face I saw in the two threads that I found. Sorry. But YES, you'll find that it holds up ridiculously well!!

LOL I just did a search for Rome and you were the first friendly face I saw in the two threads that I found. Sorry. But YES, you'll find that it holds up ridiculously well!!
I never had a doubt! :bow:

And now that I've seen the end of GoT, I'll just add on to that 6-year-old statement that I would've absolutely preferred more Rome over that, lol.

I never had a doubt! :bow:

And now that I've seen the end of GoT, I'll just add on to that 6-year-old statement that I would've absolutely preferred more Rome over that, lol.

Why was the show canceled anyway? Too expensive? I read somewhere that subsequent seasons (presumably a third and a fourth one) were telescoped into the second.

Why was the show canceled anyway? Too expensive? I read somewhere that subsequent seasons (presumably a third and a fourth one) were telescoped into the second.
It's been a long time but IIRC from what I read, it was originally planned and budgeted as a limited series, that just later got expanded to a full series. And while the creators had wanted to continue, GoT was greenlit that year (yes, GoT gestated for 4 years at HBO before ever seeing the light of day), and HBO couldn't afford to keep both shows at that level, so Rome got the short straw (probably due to GoT's more obvious long-term potential/blueprint).

It's been a long time but IIRC from what I read, it was originally planned and budgeted as a limited series, that just later got expanded to a full series. And while the creators had wanted to continue, GoT was greenlit that year (yes, GoT gestated for 4 years at HBO before ever seeing the light of day), and HBO couldn't afford to keep both shows at that level, so Rome got the short straw (probably due to GoT's more obvious long-term potential/blueprint).
Yeah they were talking about doing 7 seasons where the second half of the second season wasn't even supposed to happen until like season 3. They were also talking about how season 5 was supposed to be Jesus and his effect on Rome. It's very interesting to read how they planned on doing things.

Yeah they were talking about doing 7 seasons where the second half of the second season wasn't even supposed to happen until like season 3. They were also talking about how season 5 was supposed to be Jesus and his effect on Rome. It's very interesting to read how they planned on doing things.

René Zagger's King Herod would've likely taken on a much more prominent role in the latter seasons then. Also, there wouldn't have been the need to replace Max Pirkis with Simon Woods in the role of Octavian.

Sigh. Release the Rome cut! :o

René Zagger's King Herod would've likely taken on a much more prominent role in the latter seasons then. Also, there wouldn't have been the need to replace Max Pirkis with Simon Woods in the role of Octavian.

Sigh. Release the Rome cut! :o
See that's the problem they never really planned on it. Season 2 was supposed to end with Mark Antony leaving for Egypt and season 3 was supposed to be about his romance with Cleopatra and how it looks like he betrayed Rome and his death. For Jesus you weren't going to see him but it was supposed to talk about the effect of his life from Rome. From there I assume they were just going to go with persecution of Christians and Rome's downfall leading to the split.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"