Hbo's -ROME- SEASON 2:The Offical Discussion thread.

Took me a while to warm up to it since they cancelled Carnivale' to make room for it, but I really liked this past season. I thought they ended it very well, tied up Loose endings.

Loved Pullo's last line "Um, yeah... about your Father..."

Great stuff, it will be missed.

This was a great episode. I thought Antony, Cleopatra and Vorenus all ahd magnificently acted sympathetic and powerful deaths (and not showing Vorenus after he found peace was a great touch). Octavian proves himself to be the villain I always knew he was and Atia's regret as Antony and Cleopatra's corpses are ridden by is a very sad and brilliant touch. And Pullo has always been my favorite character so him book ending the whole thing with a joke was great.

A terrific show, that will be missed.

Funny thing about Atia at the end was I didn't feel that sad for her. I thought it was a kind of cruel justice that she got exactly what she wanted and is miserable.

I say again...there's a good chance Vorenus is not dead.

Pullo didn't have the traditional 'one month mourning beard'.
No funeral was shown.

Plus..you can't kill 'The Son of Hades'!

They could totally do a Pullo and Cesarion show. That last scene with them was classic. Big Dumb Teddy Bear Pullo, teamed up with Little Godlike Delusional Cesarion.

Best line of the ENTIRE SEASON:

*Mark Anthony to Cleopatra*

"Piss and blood, woman. I'm a soldier....... not a ****ing Magician!"- MA

:D

I really liked the line from the finale... I forget how it goes but something about "Medusa on the rag"

Anyone got the season 2 dvd yet? I'm interested in hearing the final eps commentary, onto whether or not Vorenus is actually dead.

I have it coming from netflix little by little. I'll let you know what the last episode commentary says.

I'm down for that.

I gotta say, up here in Canada, when Rome got picked up on regular TV, it sucked donkey balls. Censors cut out EVERYTHING that made the show brilliant(all the sex, violence and bad language), and ironically, advertisments for Rome played heavily on the Sex, language and violence theme... then cut them right out of the show. The history channel should be ashamed of itself. I'm just glad I caught the real broadcast, and not the watered down for normal TV ROME

I'm down for that.

I gotta say, up here in Canada, when Rome got picked up on regular TV, it sucked donkey balls. Censors cut out EVERYTHING that made the show brilliant(all the sex, violence and bad language), and ironically, advertisments for Rome played heavily on the Sex, language and violence theme... then cut them right out of the show. The history channel should be ashamed of itself. I'm just glad I caught the real broadcast, and not the watered down for normal TV ROME

Wow, thats kinda the whole point of the show. Shame on you Canada!

This thread has been dead for a while, but what are the thoughts on a Rome movie?
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39272
I am all for this!

Yes, I hope they can work it out. Obviously, I would prefer a 3rd Season, but if a movie is all their offering, I'll take it. Plus, no way is Vorenus dead. He's just hiding in the last place you'd expect him: Grey's Anatomy.

Wow, thats kinda the whole point of the show. Shame on you Canada!

Yes, I hope they can work it out. Obviously, I would prefer a 3rd Season, but if a movie is all their offering, I'll take it. Plus, no way is Vorenus dead. He's just hiding in the last place you'd expect him: Grey's Anatomy.

In all fairness, the show covered some 10 odd years or so, so a movie could be set at anytime in the series. It doesn't necessarily have to be a sequel to the series... and besides, the next 50 or so years of Roman history after Octavius takes power is pretty stable... and boring(in the grand scheme of things obviously).

In all fairness, the show covered some 10 odd years or so, so a movie could be set at anytime in the series. It doesn't necessarily have to be a sequel to the series... and besides, the next 50 or so years of Roman history after Octavius takes power is pretty stable... and boring(in the grand scheme of things obviously).

Yea, and I cant really imagine Rome without James Purefoy. What a performance.

Yea, and I cant really imagine Rome without James Purefoy. What a performance.
Agreed

I am glad HBO can admit though they were wrong for canceling the show. Although it was canceled because of budget then ratings which is rare.

I am glad HBO can admit though they were wrong for canceling the show. Although it was canceled because of budget then ratings which is rare.

Which is pretty sad when you consider NBC are spending $4 million an episode on Heroes. What a waste!

Which is pretty sad when you consider NBC are spending $4 million an episode on Heroes. What a waste!
What pissed me off even more is when I read what they had planed for the next 2 seasons. I mean that show was gold and what they had planed could have been epic. Sadly we will never see any of that. I mean I would have loved to have seen all that stuff talked about especially the time of Jesus and how it effected the Romans by putting the Christians to death.

What pissed me off even more is when I read what they had planed for the next 2 seasons. I mean that show was gold and what they had planed could have been epic. Sadly we will never see any of that. I mean I would have loved to have seen all that stuff talked about especially the time of Jesus and how it effected the Romans by putting the Christians to death.

I don't think Pullo and Vorenus would live long enough to see Christianity become significant in the world.

I don't think Pullo and Vorenus would live long enough to see Christianity become significant in the world.

indeed, it would actually be a very boring period of history for the show to cover. You get the resistance in Judea, and Jesus does his thing. But none of the christianity stuff blooms until a couple of hundred years later.

I'd love a prequel that would go over the conquest of Gaul and the attempted invasion of Britain. That way you get all the worthy characters, but in a slightly different setting.

indeed, it would actually be a very boring period of history for the show to cover. You get the resistance in Judea, and Jesus does his thing. But none of the christianity stuff blooms until a couple of hundred years later.

I'd love a prequel that would go over the conquest of Gaul and the attempted invasion of Britain. That way you get all the worthy characters, but in a slightly different setting.
No it wouldn't because you have got to remember how the Romans went crazy trying to stop the movement of Christianity by throwing people to the Lions and you have to remember during that time period was when the coliseum and the gladiators where in their prime.

No it wouldn't because you have got to remember how the Romans went crazy trying to stop the movement of Christianity by throwing people to the Lions and you have to remember during that time period was when the coliseum and the gladiators where in their prime.

yes, 50 or so years after a Jesus. The movement itself, and the subsequent persecution didn't really come into full being until after Augustus had passed, and the Imperial power degraded as lesser rulers assumed the thrown (ie. Nero and this was about 70 years after the series left off). Open up your history books US, and figure out your timeline. And the Coliseum my friend, was not completed until well after Augustus had died, around the 80s, and 7 emperors after Augustus.

This would be well outside the lifetimes of all the major players on the show.

infact, where the series left off, was around the time that 1) jesus was being born, meaning you gotta wait atleast 20-30 years before Jesus begins doing his thing, and 2) add another 30-40years for a real movement to begin.

open up your history books if your not sure about the facts. Augustus' rule, although academically very interesting, is not the most entertaining bit of history. It's not until the chaos after his death, that things begin to get interesting again: but as far as ROME the TV show is concerned, this is well beyond all the characters on the show... and it would essentially be ROME: totally unrelated to the TV show.

Last edited:
yes, 50 or so years after a Jesus. The movement itself, and the subsequent persecution didn't really come into full being until after Augustus had passed, and the Imperial power degraded as lesser rulers assumed the thrown (ie. Nero and this was about 70 years after the series left off). Open up your history books US, and figure out your timeline. And the Coliseum my friend, was not completed until well after Augustus had died, around the 80s, and 7 emperors after Augustus.

This would be well outside the lifetimes of all the major players on the show.

infact, where the series left off, was around the time that 1) jesus was being born, meaning you gotta wait atleast 20-30 years before Jesus begins doing his thing, and 2) add another 30-40years for a real movement to begin.

open up your history books if your not sure about the facts. Augustus' rule, although academically very interesting, is not the most entertaining bit of history. It's not until the chaos after his death, that things begin to get interesting again: but as far as ROME the TV show is concerned, this is well beyond all the characters on the show... and it would essentially be ROME: totally unrelated to the TV show.
Oh I am sure about facts what I am saying is you don't have to use the major players. Now if you guys are just worried about their (major players of the series) time line then yes it wouldn't work. But I believe that you can move past them because Rome has so much history. Hell I think you could carry the series if you wanted to the fall of the Romain Empire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"