Hellboy Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen

My brother's just come back from it and said it was and I quote 'God awful', when something is bad, he'll say it. So it's worse than anything ever seen is the given conclusion.

I dunno, it feels at the times that "disappointing" immediately becomes horrid on the internets.

I share a flat with him, so this was his face telling me, his words and if he doesn't like something he'll say it, no if's or maybe's, if it's sh*t he'll say.

I wasn't referring to him specifically, but I'll take your word that it probably was that bad to him.

Just returned from seeing Hellboy. Rotten Tomatoes and all the other critics can kiss my ass. 12% and comparing it to Fant4stic? REALLY? This was NOWHERE NEAR that bad! I actually had fun with this! Yes, I am aware of the production issues with the producers ****ing over the cast and crew. That definitely sucks. But given that story and the reviews I keep seeing, I was expecting FAR worse that what I got. This actually RESPECTS the source material, unlike F4 2015!

Btw, there's a ton of nods and references to the comics, like tying into some of the short stories like "The Corpse", "Baba Yaga", and even the "Hellboy in Mexico" saga. Trust me, there's a reason that last set of stories was offered as a Fandango bonus for people who preordered tickets. The acting was surprisingly on point by everyone, which is the only thing the critics seem to be on the same page as me regarding. David Harbour was EXCELLENT as Hellboy and a worthy successor to Ron Perlman. Mike Mignola made the right call casting him! The only 2 things that are a bit iffy are that a bit of the pacing is a little rushed towards the end and the CGI is a little iffy (especially with the spirit channel stuff Alice helps with twice; VERY Scorpion King-level bad CGI). The prosthetic effects are fantastic, though.

It's just a shame though that I'm probably going to be the only one who saw this reboot for what it really was and didn't just compare it to the Del Toro movies (I know it was big shoes to fill and there's people who are being more reasonable with their thoughts who didn't like this movie, and that's fine; i'm not going to change your minds). It wasn't trying to be like them and I'm really sad it's getting this poor critical treatment. Overall, Hellboy (2019) is definitely a flawed movie, but its still surprising fun, gory romp and it rewards fans of the comics. It's sadly probably gonna flop, but I hope this maybe gets a cult following. Stranger things have happened. If you're really curious, ignore the unfair reviews and give it a shot for youselves. You'll probably be pleasantly surprised.

My score: 6.5/10.

Just returned from seeing Hellboy. Rotten Tomatoes and all the other critics can kiss my ass. 12% and comparing it to Fant4stic? REALLY? This was NOWHERE NEAR that bad! I actually had fun with this! Yes, I am aware of the production issues with the producers ****ing over the cast and crew. That definitely sucks. But given that story and the reviews I keep seeing, I was expecting FAR worse that what I got. This actually RESPECTS the source material, unlike F4 2015!

Btw, there's a ton of nods and references to the comics, like tying into some of the short stories like "The Corpse", "Baba Yaga", and even the "Hellboy in Mexico" saga. Trust me, there's a reason that last set of stories was offered as a Fandango bonus for people who preordered tickets. The acting was surprisingly on point by everyone, which is the only thing the critics seem to be on the same page as me regarding. David Harbour was EXCELLENT as Hellboy and a worthy successor to Ron Perlman. Mike Mignola made the right call casting him! The only 2 things that are a bit iffy are that a bit of the pacing is a little rushed towards the end and the CGI is a little iffy (especially with the spirit channel stuff Alice helps with twice; VERY Scorpion King-level bad CGI). The prosthetic effects are fantastic, though.

It's just a shame though that I'm probably going to be the only one who saw this reboot for what it really was and didn't just compare it to the Del Toro movies (I know it was big shoes to fill and there's people who are being more reasonable with their thoughts who didn't like this movie, and that's fine; i'm not going to change your minds). It wasn't trying to be like them and I'm really sad it's getting this poor critical treatment. Overall, Hellboy (2019) is definitely a flawed movie, but its still surprising fun, gory romp and it rewards fans of the comics. It's sadly probably gonna flop, but I hope this maybe gets a cult following. Stranger things have happened. If you're really curious, ignore the unfair reviews and give it a shot for youselves. You'll probably be pleasantly surprised.

My score: 6.5/10.
Is it something that could be compared to stuff like Big Trouble In Little China, Army of Darkness, Punisher: War Zone, or From Dusk Till Dawn?

Man I hated this thing. One of more aggressively annoying films I've seen in a while.

God this movie.

I was so rooting for it... but my god what a trash fire. It's right up there with some of the bad Resident Evil and Underworld movies.

I don't know what to say. Its a popcorn flick though a lot of things weren't well executed and things kinda went fast. I think slept 40% of the movie, right in the middle so I can't really judge it properly.

That being said, I had no expectations with a Hellboy reboot. They should have made Hellboy 3 instead even if it was going to be a stinker as well.

If anyone cares, this movie now has a “C” Cinemascore. So basically the same as Fan4stic(though that fared slightly worse with a C-).

That really doesn’t bode well for its legs since now it’s going to suffer a massive drop-off similar to other poorly received comic book films like Fan4stic which suffered a 68% decline...so not good. Especially when it’s also now projected to have a paltry 12 million dollar opening weekend; opening in third place behind Shazam! and the comedy ‘Little’. So...yeah, ouch. Not even a decent international can save it. Even if it does surprisingly well in China that just won’t be enough. This film will never get a sequel and Harbour will never play the character again.

Not to fret though, David Harbour will work again, Mila Jovovich will work again, Daniel Dae Kim will work again and Neil Marshall will work again(he hasn’t pulled a Josh Trank and thrown the studio under bus publicly).

But the question is will the Hellboy character ever work again....on the big screen?

Last edited:
At least it's not Catwoman and 4stick bad?

Well they didn't promote it well. Put it in an increasingly busy month. And on top of that in apparently isn't that good.

This shouldn't come as a shock.

If that Little movie beats it that tells you everything.

Guess I'll be seeing Missing Link. I hear tell it's pretty good.

Milla Jovovich Slams Hellboy Critics, Says It’ll Become A Cult Classic

So she thinks this will become another Rocky Horror Picture Show or the Room of comic book movies then? Maybe she's hoping for a Punisher War Zone type of reception but there's no way that's happening. :funny:

And Hellboy creator Mike Mignola also responded to the film's negative critical reviews
Have you read the reviews of the movie?
Mignola: I have not.

You have not.
Mignola: I’m aware of the reviews, but I have decided not to read the reviews. I’m anxious to hear what the fans think of the film. I certainly want the fans to be happy. But, no, I’m gonna stay away from the reviews.

This is a fallacy. A lot of critics are actually fans themselves(either of the previous movies or the original comics), If he means fans who aren't critics than it seems all hope is lost: The movie doesn't seem to be clicking much with general audiences as evidenced by its abysmal Cinemascore of 'C' which is barely better than Fan4stic's 'C-'.

Last edited:
Yeah there was some interesting ideas and character designs in this but the acting, script, plot, CGI and general tone was all over the place and unsurprisingly created an utter mess of a film that never really knew what it wanted to be.

I thought David Harbour was pretty decent to be fair as the new Hellboy, he had the chops to pull off the grumpy and moody big red but everyone around him was weak sauce by todays comic book standards and Jovovich was acting in another movie entirely. They arent helped by a terrible script and some of the jokes, dear lawd, eye rolling.

Its in the realms of the AvP's, Underworld sequels and Resident Evil movie's of the world sadly and will quickly be forgotten as such. 4.5/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"