Hey Vern! Ernest is getting a reboot!

How does this work? It's like making a Pee-Wee Herman movie without Paul Reubens.

And who are they making the movie for anyway?

Really not seeing why this needs to be done. Certain characters are just only playable by the person who created them. Ernest, Pee Wee Herman, Larry the Cable Guy, Lucy Ricardo, etc. Just leave them alone.

Ok this...not so cool with.

Who is going to play Ernest, Zombie Jim Varney?

This will fail, and deserve to.

Well, it did work for Son of the Pink Panther and Son of the Mask, to name but two....Oh, it didn't? Didn't work at all? Huh.

:dry:

I just.... I can't even.

How does this work? It's like making a Pee-Wee Herman movie without Paul Reubens.

And who are they making the movie for anyway?

I can't see anyone else playing Ernest. At least they were wise enough to create a son. I think some younger kids might enjoy this but that's about it.

And it's such a niche character. Ernest was a product of his time and he was popular, especially when you live in LA/OC with his Cerrito Auto Square commercials.

That's why I'm wondering who they're making this movie for.

Damn Mayans were right about the 2012 apocalypse after all. :cmad:

Man I like all the Ernest movies. Doesn't mean they are all good but I enjoy them all.

Not sure how I feel about this though.

John Cena is Ernest. I can feel it in my bones.

Really not seeing why this needs to be done. Certain characters are just only playable by the person who created them. Ernest, Pee Wee Herman, Larry the Cable Guy, Lucy Ricardo, etc. Just leave them alone.
The same goes for James Bond and Batman. Those characters are only playable by the actors who created the live action versions. Leave them alone!!!!

The same goes for James Bond and Batman. Those are characters that are only playable by the actors who created the live action versions. Leave them alone!!!!

No...they're literary characters.

Pee-Wee, Ernest and even Larry were created as very specific comedic personas for Reubens and the others actors/comedians.

Anyway, we're actually debating the artistic integrity about Ernesr here. How absurd is that?

Last edited:
No...they're literary characters.

Pee-Wee, Ernest and even Larry were created as very specific comedic personas for Reubens and the others actors/comedians.
It has more to do with how connected a character is to the actor.
How about Indiana Jones. Wasn't written for the actor who got the part. Right?

I could have sworn that Tom Selleck was offered the role first.

There are no absolutes so there are exceptions. You are right, I am right..it depends on the casting.

But we're mostly talking about self-created personas for comedians where as Indy was a very Hollywood invention from big directors designed for a film.

For example, Paul Rebens created Pee-Wee when he did stand-up and inprov at The Groundlings. Pee-Wee was conceived as a 'struggling bad comedian' before hitting his stride. It was Paul's creation strictly intended for himself and career when he was an up and comer.

I don't know if Varney how involved he was with Ernest's initial conception but he was there from the start. Ernest started off in local commercials. Yes he was a commercial character that popular.

But like Pee-Wee, Ernest was created from something very small from no names before Hollywood took noticed.

Last edited:
I could have sworn that Tom Selleck was offered the role first.

He was.

What I was telling Airwings that the creation of Pee-Wee and Ernest are very different from the creation of Indy.

Indy was created by Lucas when he was at his career high. And it was intended as a big tentpole and for an actor to play the role. If Lucas created Indy for himself to play in the local stand-up circuit then there's more of a comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"