Hey Vern! Ernest is getting a reboot!

No...they're literary characters.

Pee-Wee, Ernest and even Larry were created as very specific comedic personas for Reubens and the others actors/comedians.

Anyway, we're actually debating the artistic integrity about Ernesr here. How absurd is that?

I think Jim Varney had "tremendous talent" who forged an iconic character and did so with talent...it was his life's work after all..and i think it was great.

What's so great about the "character" he was basically just a dumb redneck role and Varney's special ability took over..its a shame he never had the "rights"...kinda tragic.

There are no absolutes so there are exceptions. You are right, I am right..it depends on the casting.

But we're mostly talking about self-created personas for comedians where as Indy was a very Hollywood invention from big directors designed for a film.

For example, Paul Rebens created Pee-Wee when he did stand-up and inprov at The Groundlings. Pee-Wee was conceived as a 'struggling bad comedian' before hitting his stride. It was Paul's creation strictly intended for himself and career when he was an up and comer.

I don't know if Varney how involved he was with Ernest's initial conception but he was there from the start. Ernest started off in local commercials. Yes he was a commercial character that popular.

But like Pee-Wee, Ernest was created from something very small from no names before Hollywood took noticed.

I don't know if it was all Varney's creation but he made that character with the mannuerisms , facial expressions, and verbiage. Things that an actor would have to create for it to work. He also had a recognizable voice. It would be difficult for anyone to sucessfully impersonate him.

I think he was underrated and could have gotten better roles outside Ernest. Jim was set to do another sequel. I did still follow his films even though he was on the dtv market and they weren't as good. Jim Varney was funny as hell though and I'd rather revisit Ernest goes to Africa. Good luck to whoever can sucessfully recapture this because they'll need it.

Really not seeing why this needs to be done. Certain characters are just only playable by the person who created them. Ernest, Pee Wee Herman, Larry the Cable Guy, Lucy Ricardo, etc. Just leave them alone.
My sentiments exactly, some movie/TV characters are directly associated with their respective actors, you can't just remake it with a new actor and just say "he're just do an imitation of Jim Varney and the audience will buy it"

it's sad that Varney never was able to branch out from Ernest. His role in the Beverly Hillbillyies remake showed only hints of his potential...

I think I'd be more interested in a Jim Varney bio-pic.

I hear Mike Rowe is up for the part

mike-rowe-bio-324x205.jpg

Goes to Camp, Goes to Jail, and Scared Stupid were his best by far. :o

Goes to Camp, Goes to Jail, and Scared Stupid were his best by far. :o
I really like Goes to Jail because even though its silly, Varney actually balances lovable Ernest and the prisoner really well. I think it shows had he wanted, Varney could have had the acting range to do a lot more. Still, I really respect him for keeping with the chracter he created.

Not to mention Rimshot was boss.

I gotta admit, Varney was one of the reasons I actually like the Beverly Hillbillies movie. He felt like the right type for Jed. Plus, I like the scene where the get the wrong impression of the middle finger while dirving into the city.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"