Hollywoodland

DeFett

Custom Title
Reaction score
Affleck's Superman Film Renamed After Studio Clash

Ben Affleck's forthcoming film on the death of TV Superman actor George Reeves has been renamed, following legal threats by the producer of the Superman movies. Affleck plays late actor Reeves in the Truth, Justice And The American Way, which has now been changed to Hollywoodland. Distributors Focus Features were forced to give up the original title after Warner Bros - who produces the Superman film franchise, including the upcoming Superman Returns - threatened to sue, as "Truth, Justice And The American Way" is Superman's slogan. Reeves, who played the Man Of Steel in the 1951 feature film Superman And The Mole-Men and the 1950s TV series Adventures Of Superman, died of a gunshot wound in June 1959. While the cause of his death was ruled suicide, friends and family suspected he may have been murdered. Hollywoodland, directed by Allen Coulter, also stars Adrien Brody, Diane Lane and Bob Hoskins, and hits US cinemas screens this year.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427969/

heard about that, not digging the new title

No, it's not a very good one.

"Truth, Justice And The American Way" was very fitting.

a bit longwinded, but at least it made sense. What the hell does "hollywoodland" mean?

There was a tread on this movie originally but I could seem to find it with the search so I might take this oppoutunity to post some info on the movie from IMDB.

Plot

Adrien Brody plays a detective investigating the mysterious death of George Reeves, with Ben Affleck will play the role of Reeves. Diane Lane plays Toni Mannix, the wife of a studio exec, who may be having a romantic relationship with Reeves.

Trivia

Hugh Jackman was originally set to play George Reeves, but pulled out of the project due to other commitments.

Benicio Del Toro was signed on to play the detective, but pulled out of the project due to other commitments.

Joaquin Phoenix auditioned for the role of Louis Moglio, but Adrien Brody got it. This is the second time the two have auditioned for the same role. In The Village (2004), both men auditioned for the role of Lucius Hunt, with Phoenix getting the role.

Kyle MacLachlan screen-tested for the role of George Reeves.

Affleck Takes Massive Pay Cut
25 February 2005 (WENN)
Hollywood star Ben Affleck has waived his usual multi-million dollar fee to play actor George Reeves in a desperate bid to regain critical acclaim and box office success. The struggling actor's last four films - Gigli, Paycheck, Jersey Girl and Surviving Christmas - all flopped, but he hopes playing the Superman star in Truth, Justice And The American Way, who was mysteriously shot dead in Beverly Hills in 1959, will impress audiences and revive his flagging career. And Affleck is so convinced the fact-based drama is the perfect project for him at this juncture of his life, he's taken a massive pay cut - and will only earn $2.8 million. Oscar-winning actor Adrien Brody co-stars in the upcoming film as a detective investigating Reeves' death. The movie is scheduled to begin filming this summer.

No Pics or Posters at this stage :( and all I know is it's out this year but not sure when ...anyone know this?

Elijya said:
a bit longwinded, but at least it made sense. What the hell does "hollywoodland" mean?

I believe the big Hollywood sign used to say "Hollywoodland" in the 40's until Neville Sinclair crashed into it with a Rocketpack on :) but as you say it doesn't mean anything for the film.

DeFett said:
I believe the big Hollywood sign used to say "Hollywoodland" in the 40's until Neville Sinclair crashed into it with a Rocketpack on :) but as you say it doesn't mean anything for the film.

Actually, someone used the "Land" part of the sign to commit suicide. The rocketpack stuff is just a movie. :o

I hope that the advertising can make up for the title...because I don't think that it conveys what the film is about very well...

MaskedManJRK said:
The rocketpack stuff is just a movie. :o

Yes that's why I put the smiley face on ...I know it's from The Rocketeer.

But didn't know someone used the Land part to committed suicide, thanks.

http://www.beachwoodcanyon.org/HISTORY.htm

1949 - The Hollywoodland Sign, originally built to last only 18 months, is in total disrepair (and all the light bulbs have long-since been stolen). The City begins removing it but is halted by a public outcry Ð the citizens have come to love the symbol. Instead, the sign is refurbished and shortened to "Hollywood."

skorponok said:
I hope that the advertising can make up for the title...because I don't think that it conveys what the film is about very well...

Yes, it doesn't convey it at all, especially when Hollwoodland was orginally a sign for a housing development in the Hollywood hills.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_Sign

Maybe they should of used:
"The Mysterious Death of George Reeve"
"The Man of Romance"
"Supeerhero Affair"

Kurosawa said:

Very Messed up. How's this bit
Ironically two days later Pegs uncle opened a letter addressed to Peg from the Beverly Hills Playhouse. It was mailed the day before she jumped. In it was an offer for her to play the lead role in their next play, It would be a role where her character commits suicide in the final act.

There are some pics at:
http://www.supermanhomepage.com/news.php?readmore=1548
ben-as-george1.jpg

Those suck harder than Hollywoodland DeFett.

I would have just kept my original title and let them TRY to sue me.

LetsHangBendis said:
Those suck harder than Hollywoodland DeFett.

I would have just kept my original title and let them TRY to sue me.

They where just off the top of my head ... but it just goes to show that nothing beats "Truth, Justice & The American Way" as a title.

Death of a Superhero? ...Not So Man Of Steel? :D

when the heck will we see him in the Supes suit?!? I am prepared to laugh my ars off at how stupid he will look.

do you have any idea how ridiculous George Reeves himself looked in the suit?

Elijya said:
do you have any idea how ridiculous George Reeves himself looked in the suit?
Yeah, they're probably gonna make him look kinda dumb on purpose.

DeFett said:

see, this is why I love the hype! probably no one I know would get that joke, but I lmao! :D :up:

I've noticed that on the IMDB it says that it's rated R...for language, violence, and sexual content I believe :eek:

Who keeps giving millions to let Ben Affleck star in movies? :confused:
BA is becoming a Uwe.

Wilhelm-Scream said:
Who keeps giving millions to let Ben Affleck star in movies? :confused:
BA is becoming a Uwe.
no one in this case. Affleck took a paycut to star in this film cause he really wanted to do it.

same with all the Kevin Smith movies. He worked SAG Minumum Wage in all of them because Kevin's his friend and usually works on a limited budget

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"