Home Made, Yvonne Craig Styled Batgirl Costumes

TMC1982

Sidekick
Reaction score
http://www.66batman.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1156344971

1) Where can I get the shiny purple material?
A) The material is a stretch lame. It is only a two way stretch as opposed to a 4 way stretch spandex, so you have to work out which way each piece is going to stretch for you before you cut it. Also, as of this writing and many many failed attempts over the past two years of searching and purchasing all kinds of shiny purple lames, the stuff that they used and the only stuff that really looks like the REAL DEAL is no longer made in purple. Save yourself the heartache of trying to find it on eBay. Been there done that so you don’t have to.
You can find the actual type of material here: http://www.spandexhouse.com/product.asp
Look up their STRETCH LAME. Get the blue. You’ll need to get the dye that you’re using up to a boil because you are going to “stain” the metallic fiber because it will otherwise not take the dye. I believe Greg used Rit’s FUCIA dye to create the color shift and it seems to be the most successful to date.

2) What is the Batgirl cowl made of?
A) Sugar and spice and…well actually it is made from Buckram and was a soft sculpted design as opposed to Batman’s fiberglass shell covered with shiny satin. Batgirl’s cowl is put together and formed much like a hat including millenary wire in the construction as well. The structure is covered with a purple satin material. Some stretch in the satin is helpful.

3) I’ve chosen my fabrics and after I’ve made everything and take a picture of it nothing matches anymore. The cape looks blue, the gloves look like a berry colored purple and nothing matches the suit anymore. What’s up with the pictures?
A) Welcome to the wonderful world of purple and photography. It’s just one of those crazy things. Even if you look at pictures of Batgirl from the series, you’ll notice that the shades of her costume shifted all the time. This was not the palette they chose or how it generally looked in person but how photographed in varied conditions and with various cameras. If you want it to look good in pictures as much as it does in front of you, be sure to get a swatch of the material you are considering for your gloves, cape and cowl. Then take some pictures and see what happens. You’ll drive yourself nuts, but you’ll be able to narrow down the material to what will work for you best.

4) Where can I find patterns for this stuff or a resource guide?
A) Patterns? There are none that I or anybody else that I have been working with has been able to find. Studying pictures ( like the ones in the Batgirl gallery at www.batfriend.com) and working with a skilled costumer is the real key.
Resource guide? So far, you’re reading the closest thing to one I have ever come across.

DSC04275.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yvonne-Craig-BA...ryZ80916QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Nice! Not for anyone, though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"