How could the Dark Knight Returns on film, if we really think about it?

Rockbottom

Civilian
Reaction score
How would we make Superman work?

Well the way I see it, Superman would need to be a face we know as Superman, and Brandon wouldnt fit in since he is so new imo, and Reeve well obviously cant, so who could we get to do it and make it work? Or could we just forget that part of the story and just make the battle with the Joker the climax, but if we do that, dont we have to pretty much leave out Batman creating a Gotham were he is no longer needed? Him faking his death? the iconic Batman kicking Superman's ass? Could it really work? is there a way round? This is to be the biggest problem to get around.

Who could be Batman and keep it slightly believable?

No this isnt another "Cast TDKR" thread, but im bring up the point that we would need a actor in his mid 50's who can still get around and make it work. With Rocky 6 we saw a man in his 60's fighting and making it work while being believable. Personally I dont think 55 is old in this day and age, so yes they could get this to work, with the right actors.

Would WB go for it?

Well the book is legendary, and sold a ton of copys. With the popularity of Batman as strong as ever, its pretty much sure to gain them atleast some profit. Then on the other hand though, it couldnt be made for kids because it just would not work, its not that kind of story.

Only when the time is right?

Well when is the right time for it? Now? 10 years? How long would pre-production take on this big project?

Keaton, Burton and crew?

Well would they want to, I guess thats the first question. Im still not sure about that, but if they do want to do it, its got to be soon considering Keaton and Nicholson's age.

Is it all possible when we really think about it?

EDIT: Sorry for the typo in the title, if a mod could change that to ''How could the Dark Knight Returns work on film, if we really think about it?'' please.

I really think they should consider telling that story in the next generation of Batman films. I look at BB much like Superman The movie or Spiderman 1, I really don't see how you can do an origin story any better. For something new and fresh, making TDKR would be very interesting. However, if the movie weren't R-rated, I don't think they'd be doing the story justice and I just can't see WB making a R-rated Batman film anytime soon, or ever.
It would be sweet though....

I'd actually like to see Burton, Keaton, and Nicholson return for it but that's only a dream.

In reality, they more than likely would not have Superman in it, and if they ever did make it, it wouldn't happen until years and years and years down the road. I've always considered TDKR to be the very last Batman story in terms of canon storyline(no, Frank was on crack when he made the sequel and it doesn't count).

Well this thread isnt really suppose to be about when it will happen, more about if it could and how they could get around those problems.

Hmmmmm.....

I think that a Dark Knight Returns film could definitely work. Keep it "fairly" realistic. Now I am not sure if it should be a similar style to how Sin City was filmed or perhaps '300'

I do see this type of film being shot in Black and White though, I don't think color would really work well.

I could see WB taking a stab at a project like this especially since movies like 300 and Sin City did fairly well box office wise. Also if they took a chance with Catwoman why not a great project like The Dark Knight Returns. You'd definitely need to get Frank Miller on board in some capacity.

I remember reading on other forums and perhaps on here with older threads of actors like Clint Eastwood, & Paul Newman to play Bruce Wayne/Batman, personally they are waaaaaaaay too old, maybe if they ever do a Batman Beyond film they could get those guys.

So I was thinking and thought of the perfect actor to play Bruce Wayne/Batman, (well in my opinion anyway LoL) and that actor is........ (drum roll please):

Chris Noth
noth.jpg

Mid 50's, Over 6 ft tall, some sites list him at 6'3. He's been playing a hard nose, tough as nails detective on Law & Order for many years and I think he would and could pull Batman off. And for Bruce Wayne he has been playing Mr Big on Sex and The City and has that playboy stuff down to a "T".

And for The Joker
Brian Thompson
BrianThompson4.jpg

Early 50's, Well over 6 ft tall, has basically been playing evil/bad guys his entire acting career. Definitely has that creepy look and perfect jaw for Mr. J

Could Chuck Norris pull off The Green Arrow? I think he could do a pretty decent job as The Emerald Archer.

Now as for other characters like Superman and Wonder Woman, I am stumped. My current pick to play Wonder Woman is still way to young, and that is Paz Vega, but that is for another thread =)

1. Burton's style is the opposite to Miller. He would be the worst choice to make such a loud and action-packed story.
2. WB will never make a movie where Superman is a stupid government tool.

i cant see WB ever wanting to make a film featuring the retirement of one of their most lucrative franchise characters... I especially can't see them wanting to make a film where Superman is presented as a naive lackey (movie-goers had a hard enough time working out if Catwoman was a 'goodguy' or a 'badguy' in BR).

Having two heroes come to blows because their political and ethical inclinations are at odds is too much for a superhero moviegoer (especially kids) to understand. But taking that part out means the movie has no real ending.

i cant see WB ever wanting to make a film featuring the retirement of one of their most lucrative franchise characters... I especially can't see them wanting to make a film where Superman is presented as a naive lackey (movie-goers had a hard enough time working out if Catwoman was a 'goodguy' or a 'badguy' in BR).

Having two heroes come to blows because their political and ethical inclinations are at odds is too much for a superhero moviegoer (especially kids) to understand. But taking that part out means the movie has no real ending.

well, we could ask Frank Miller for the original two chapters, before he started reading Watchmen and writing that stupid nonsense "Superman vs. Batman" ending.

yep. definitley not going to happen with burton and crew either. I wouldn't mind seeing a Bruce Timm animated version of DKR. too bad Dini is gone from WB now.

well, we could ask Frank Miller for the original two chapters, before he started reading Watchmen and writing that stupid nonsense "Superman vs. Batman" ending.

so then how do you conclude the film? The first two acts alone really aren't all that different from other batman stories.

so then how do you conclude the film? The first two acts alone really aren't all that different from other batman stories.

THey are classics. The last two parts... are worse. The Batman/Superman fight is so ridiculous.

THey are classics. The last two parts... are worse. The Batman/Superman fight is so ridiculous.

don't see why. we've seen batman fight joker and two-face like a billion times. frankly i liked seeing him recruit the street gangs to help him fight the mass riot after the city's power went out.
It all showed something interesting, that the government is okay with him fighting street thugs and costumed criminals, but that he has no place in anything which they see should be the role of the state.
The batman/superman fight is a culmination of that friction. To me its the whole point behind the story. Superman is symbolic of the 'american way', but fails to see that the american way is polluted and bastardised in the context of DKR's cold-war politics, Batman is symbolic of righteous revolution.
Take away that last part and you just have any regular batman story: Batman fights some criminals, the end.

the last two books are what made the dark knight iconic. its "the last batman tale". like moore said in his introduction, its the last shot to mark robin hoods grave or the death bed confession of "rosebud". the capstone if you will.

you're crazy.:whatever:

I thought it was awesome. :confused:

it was:huh:

With the film technology today, anything is possible. ANYTHING.
But to make a Dark Knight Returns movie would be silly.
Sure it's an amazing piece of work but the concept is not movie-friendly at all.
I would never want to see it done and it will never be done.

the last two books are what made the dark knight iconic. its "the last batman tale". like moore said in his introduction, its the last shot to mark robin hoods grave or the death bed confession of "rosebud". the capstone if you will.

you're crazy.:whatever:

it was:huh:
IMO, yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"