Keaton in a Dark Knight Returns

truth

Civilian
Reaction score
Some people have been saying this on boards and I think that would be a great idea.

He is still considered the ultimate Batman by many and it would be too cool to see Keaton at his age now play the older Batman in a Dark Knight Returns.

Well, as Batman? Even tho hes by far my favorite Batman and one of my favorite actors, its not the same type of a character. His Batman was very different going after different things. It relied on spookiness and Gothickness and stoic, ghostly presence. Nolan's Batman is very much like the modern Batman, being based on anger and fury

What makes Bale Batman modern? You will be surprised by how many people today would prefer Keaton's more subtle and layered portrayal. And it works because he is old now and he is seen as the only true Batman.

No more Keaton as any version of Batman. I couldn't take him seriously as Batman. Playing an older version of Batman wouldn't be much better. I didnt think his portrayl was layered. Subtle yeah cos he had bugger all material to work with as the character.

What makes Bale Batman modern? You will be surprised by how many people today would prefer Keaton's more subtle and layered portrayal. And it works because he is old now and he is seen as the only true Batman.

I know many prefer Keaton as Batman nowadays, but Keaton portrayed the stoic,quiet and spooky figure of the first and darkest year of his portrayal, someone who says nothin but has so much going on inside, while Bale portrays the Batman thats more in line of how Batman is in the comics now - an angry guy beating thugs up to get an answer, a yelling guy who gets so mad he looses it sometimes and pretty much a 'what you see is what you get' character, which is how Batman is in Modern Age. My point is, its different generations and different takes on the character. I dont think bale could pull of the shadowy Nosferatu type that Keaton's Batman was, just as I dont think Keaton could pull of a furious bully (although Keaton is brilliant with anger and outrage, see 1991's One Good Cop during an interrogation scene - still, its not the same thing as what Bale projects)

To be more blunt:
Bale portrays the Modern Batman, intimidating with anger and force
anger2bg.JPG

angrybale.png

While Keaton portrays the Dracula Batman of the roots, a stoic figure which is like a ghost, intimidating with silence and just his presence
DCshadow.PNG

batshadowret.PNG

Again, different takes, different characters, they wouldnt mesh

Last edited:
I didnt think his portrayl was layered.

No more than Bale's portrayal? I find Bale to be less "layered" than Keaton. Take Batman Returns for example... when he's out in the city, he seems confident (talking to Shreck)... then you've got him at home in the Batcave brooding in the dark... and then when Selina is at his house for a date, he's sort of at a loss for words when talking to her. It's a great portrayal. Bale on the other hand is the one I find to be extremely one sided. Keaton has a lot "going on" just by looking at him. Bale, to me, is boring.

I would love to see Keaton return as Batman. But yes, someone made a good point... I don't know if Keaton would mesh well with Miller's material. I think as long as Keaton gave a grittier portrayal it could work.

No more than Bale's portrayal?

Bales portrayal is layered. He gets to display more emotion and sides to Batman and Bruce Wayne than Keaton ever did. He doesnt get to show any real range with his character.

I find Bale to be less "layered" than Keaton. Take Batman Returns for example... when he's out in the city, he seems confident (talking to Shreck)... then you've got him at home in the Batcave brooding in the dark... and then when Selina is at his house for a date, he's sort of at a loss for words when talking to her. It's a great portrayal. Bale on the other hand is the one I find to be extremely one sided. Keaton has a lot "going on" just by looking at him. Bale, to me, is boring.
I think your definition of layered is highly flawed. Keatons Bruce is written as a recluse type. Hes not used to socializing with women. It doesnt take great acting skill to sit in a chair with your hand under your chin in a dark room. Talking to Schreck is easy cos hes a guy. A guy he doesnt like much either. Its only women he has trouble with.

None of this is layered stuff. Or interesting either. I like a Batman who tries to hide who he really is. Who plays up the duality thing. Bale nailed that. Putting on the playboy facade as Bruce. Conroys Batman did it too

motp4.jpg

I think Keatons Bruce was boring. He never held my interest.

Last edited:
Just because Keaton bored you doesn't mean he wasn't layered. Layered meaning the performance has depth, right? Keaton is infinitely more interesting to watch (to me) than Bale is.

And yes, Bale should be portraying more emotion than Keaton ever did, I think you're right there. But I don't get that from him. For example... the part when Alfred asks him "Why bats, mr. wayne?" Bale response is a a dull and contrite "because they frighten me." It was as if he was reading the line from a cue card.

I guess it depends on how you like your Bruce Wayne. I would say I prefer the "recluse" Bruce Wayne. To me, it would seem his obsession is Batman. Doing Batman-y things. I wouldn't think he'd have time to waste doing playboy stuff. Although it worked in The Dark Knight. (The bit where he jumped off the boat.) It seems to me that drawing attention to yourself (the playboy type) would only undermine his desire to keep people from finding out he's Batman. The more he's in the public eye, the more open to scrutiny. But hey, it works in the comics & the cartoons on varying levels so, yeah.

:awesome:

yes, Keaton in The Dark Knight Returns. It would be interesting, for sure. I think the "shaky" part about it is that Warner Bros would have to make an "R" rated mature Batman film. I don't know how well that would go over... I mean look at Batman Returns and all the flack it got, right?

Yeah, that's the major issue. WB would NEVER make it R because of how popular and how much money they can make with the product.

Bale's whole playboy thing didn't work for me. Felt very cheesy. I am with Pony, I prefer the recluse and hidden guy. After all, bats are hidden and crave the darkness.

This pretty much sums it up:

What Keaton brings to his characterization of both Batman and his millionaire-playboy alter ego, Bruce Wayne, is a quality of coiled concentration, a wary vigilance. In his Batsuit, Keaton's movements are stylized, almost robotic, and the stiffness of movement carries Arthurian associations, as if he were indeed a dark knight, armored for battle
But as evocative as he is in his Bat regalia, it's as Bruce Wayne that Keaton announces his own arrival. This is a true star performance, subtle, authoritative and sexually vibrant.there's genuine pain in the performance, signs of a wounded man trying to shake free of childhood traumas.The Warren Skaaren-Sam Hamm script portrays Wayne as a realist who isn't sure himself why he does what he does. Driven by the vision of his parents' murder, his life is not his own.
(Washington post 1989)

This pretty much sums it up:

What Keaton brings to his characterization of both Batman and his millionaire-playboy alter ego, Bruce Wayne, is a quality of coiled concentration, a wary vigilance. In his Batsuit, Keaton's movements are stylized, almost robotic, and the stiffness of movement carries Arthurian associations, as if he were indeed a dark knight, armored for battle
But as evocative as he is in his Bat regalia, it's as Bruce Wayne that Keaton announces his own arrival. This is a true star performance, subtle, authoritative and sexually vibrant.there's genuine pain in the performance, signs of a wounded man trying to shake free of childhood traumas.The Warren Skaaren-Sam Hamm script portrays Wayne as a realist who isn't sure himself why he does what he does. Driven by the vision of his parents' murder, his life is not his own.
(Washington post 1989)

Nice comments about Keaton's performance. You can see, indeed, a hurt man in every scene. Even when he's talking about anything else, you can feel the grief coming from his soul; Keaton looks like he's constantly living the moment his parents were killed. This version of Bruce Wayne is less traditional in the sense he's not the balanced hero who's always thinking about perfect justice but a man who's constantly trying to fight his emotional pain. Truly a great performance.

^And thats why Keaton still is my favourite movie Batman. About DKR I think at 60 he may be to old for that now. Dare I say Kilmer at 50 would be a better choice? Only if he wasnt as fat as he is nowadays, because acting wise I have no doubt that Kilmer could pull it off.

Absolutly. This is my dream movie and I hope it happens in some shape or form. It ain't over till it's over. And if Bale & Nolan don't return I have a feeling they may want to try and do this and maybe get Keaton and Burton back.

I am pretty sure it won't happen, BUT, I do think getting Keaton back is more likely (in the scenario) than getting Burton back. Frankly, I'd like to see a co-direction by Frank Miller + whoever they choose; but I doubt it would be Burton. He probably wouldn't even want to do it.

I'm having too much trouble seeing Keaton playing Miller's Batman. Two different beasts.

Not if you think of it in terms of a Keaton Batman 20 years later... now even more pissed off because he's hardly made a dent (get it?) in the cloud of evil that's covered his city for so long. :cwink:

As much as I love Keaton to death I just can't seeing him play Batman again, and I'm sure he wouldn't want to either, it wasn't his favorite role to play but did make him the most money.

And yet, it's the only role he's played twice (unless you count Ray Nicolet)...

How many of his roles was he offered to play again?

Dunno to be honest. But he didn't have to do Batman Returns... in fact, I believe he said "no" repeatedly until Burton got him excited about the idea for the film. I always wish they'd have done a sequel to Beetlejuice.

They interviewed him and he said that is one film he would do a sequel of...Beetlejuice.

How he acted as that guy and Batman is really pure talent.

I actually really like Keaton as an actor and he's been in some terrible films, but always acted really well. I think Multiplicity is one of his seriously underrated performances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"