The Amazing Spider-Man How Do ASM's Acting Performances Rank For CBMs?

It also brings up memories of the Mass Effect 3 ending incident along with the extended cut. Practically everyone who didn't like the ending didn't like the idea of the extended cut because 'a polished turd is still a turd'.

It's just such an odd phrase, I don't know why people use it. >.<

I wish that Flash got more scenes in the movie quite honestly.

And I bet he won't even get a look-in in ASM2. :csad:

Garfield and Emma gives us some of the best acting ever in a CBM if you ask me. Andrew is as good as Peter as Robert Downey Jr. is as Tony Stark. He's not in the level of Ledger's Joker yet (though it's pretty hard to compare those two IMO), but it's not too far behind.

I actually think that RDJ is above Ledger in fitting their roles.

Ledger had his own take on Joker that isn't what the Joker is really like, even though it was a very good take on the character.

I don't have a complete opinion on Garfield yet, I need to see him in more Spider-Man films.

I know that Ledger's Joker isn't really like many of his appearances in the comics but the acting performance itself is superb and while it's not exactly like the comics, it's Nolan's own take on him and it worked extremely well for that film.

But yeah, next time I want Joker to be a little bit more crazy like Hamill's one.

Garfield and Emma gives us some of the best acting ever in a CBM if you ask me. Andrew is as good as Peter as Robert Downey Jr. is as Tony Stark. He's not in the level of Ledger's Joker yet (though it's pretty hard to compare those two IMO), but it's not too far behind.

This is my opinion as well. I was thinking what other performance of a comic book hero rivals the sheer emotional power that Garfield packs in TAS, and I don't think any of the Avengers characters have done it, RDJ included. Look at the scenes where Garfield is crying over his Dad abandoning him, or when Capt. Stacy dies, or when he's putting his hands over bloody Uncle Ben. When has RDJ had to dig deep and convey that type of gravitas?

And Stone is far and away the best female lead I can think of in a cbm. Stronger, smarter, and just overall the best fleshed out and not a gal in spandex trying to look tough or a damsel in distress, looking for new ways to scream and cry.

This is my opinion as well. I was thinking what other performance of a comic book hero rivals the sheer emotional power that Garfield packs in TAS, and I don't think any of the Avengers characters have done it, RDJ included. Look at the scenes where Garfield is crying over his Dad abandoning him, or when Capt. Stacy dies, or when he's putting his hands over bloody Uncle Ben. When has RDJ had to dig deep and convey that type of gravitas?

And Stone is far and away the best female lead I can think of in a cbm. Stronger, smarter, and just overall the best fleshed out and not a gal in spandex trying to look tough or a damsel in distress, looking for new ways to scream and cry.

I totally agree with everything you said there, I couldn't have said it better myself! :up:

Agreed

Looking forward to more of Garfield in the sequel

You're not really blaming RDJ for that, are you? There weren't any deaths that called for that kind of emotion.

I actually think that RDJ is the best actor who fits his role in comic book movies (that I saw, I never actually watched a Superman film).

I've always hated Superman so I don't really think of Reeves when comparing super heroes.

I don't like Superman either :/

I mean, I like his morals and such, I just don't really like the concept of Superman's powers. Plus I never really liked his suit.

I understand how someone may not be a fan of Superman.

My friend isn't a fan because he's not thrilled of this superhuman being that only has one weakness.

He's definitely in my top three though.

I have to admit though, without Superman or Batman, Spider-Man may not exist..

I think I've said this multiple times on these forums, but Spider-Man is practically a combination of Superman and Batman in certain ways.

I understand how someone may not be a fan of Superman.

My friend isn't a fan because he's not thrilled of this superhuman being that only has one weakness.

He's definitely in my top three though.

I share the same opinion as your friend. Clark Kent as a character is fine, but Superman...naah! And I never liked his villains either.

I have to admit though, without Superman or Batman, Spider-Man may not exist..

I think I've said this multiple times on these forums, but Spider-Man is practically a combination of Superman and Batman in certain ways.

I can see comparisions between Superman and Spidey as valid (more Clark and Peter though), but in what way is Spidey like Batman you think?

They both have creepy animals as their insignias

Uncle Ben dying as a main motivator to fight against crime is like Waynes dying as a main motivator to fight against crime

Pete uses his smarts to make his webslingers (and spider-tracers), like Wayne usually uses his smarts to makes his gadgets.

The Joker is crazy and usually makes sadistic jokes, which the Green Goblin follows in (I don't know if Lex Luthor also is crazy and makes sadistic jokes, but Lex Luthor covers the head of a huge company part of the Green Goblin)

Both are essentially heroes of New York

If anything, Noir Spider-Man wouldn't have been created if it wasn't for Batman, lol.

And...I like Doomsday, Darkseid, Brainiac and Metallo. Honestly don't care much for Lex Luthor but maybe that's because he's literally in everything Superman since day one and it's annoying. At least Joker gets breaks.

Oh, and Spider-Man has Black Cat as a rotating villain/ally like Batman has Catwoman.

Seriously, Spider-Man is like Batman and Superman's illegitimate love child.

They both have creepy animals as their insignias

Uncle Ben dying as a main motivator to fight against crime is like Waynes dying as a main motivator to fight against crime

Pete uses his smarts to make his webslingers (and spider-tracers), like Wayne usually uses his smarts to makes his gadgets.

The Joker is crazy and usually makes sadistic jokes, which the Green Goblin follows in (I don't know if Lex Luthor also is crazy and makes sadistic jokes, but Lex Luthor covers the head of a huge company part of the Green Goblin)

Both are essentially heroes of New York

The creepy animals thing is too far fetched for me. The other points I can see what you mean though.

If anything, Noir Spider-Man wouldn't have been created if it wasn't for Batman, lol.

And...I like Doomsday, Darkseid, Brainiac and Metallo. Honestly don't care much for Lex Luthor but maybe that's because he's literally in everything Superman since day one and it's annoying. At least Joker gets breaks.

Yeah overuse of villains is never really a good thing to me.

Oh, and Spider-Man has Black Cat as a rotating villain/ally like Batman has Catwoman.

Seriously, Spider-Man is like Batman and Superman's illegitimate love child.

Black Cat is the one thing I've thought of the most when it comes to comparisions between the Spider-Man and Batman mythos. I've read however that Man-Bat is Batman's "Lizard" so it goes both ways in this case.

You're not really blaming RDJ for that, are you? There weren't any deaths that called for that kind of emotion.

No, not blaming RDJ at all. He fits the role of Tony Stark/IM fantastically. But I keep hearing that Garfield's performance isn't up to that of RDJ, and to that I heartily disagree - citing the emotional scenes of Garfield to show the depth of his performance.

I look forward to him taking the role to even greater heights in the TAS sequels.

Yeah overuse of villains is never really a good thing to me.

Which is pretty great that Luthor isn't even involved with Man of Steel, but sadly Zod is and I'm not a fan of him, haha. Here's hoping for Metallo in the sequel though :up:

No, not blaming RDJ at all. He fits the role of Tony Stark/IM fantastically. But I keep hearing that Garfield's performance isn't up to that of RDJ, and to that I heartily disagree - citing the emotional scenes of Garfield to show the depth of his performance.

I look forward to him taking the role to even greater heights in the TAS sequels.

Ahh, okay. But, again, RDJ didn't really have any kind of scene where he had to show true emotional depth; he just gets praise for his smartass attitude as Tony Stark.

Downey's performance is electric, Marvel is asking you like, no LOVE, a character that sells weapons for a living. A character who completely self obsessed, messes people around, looks out for number one and you love him for it when it would be so easy to turn on the character.

Green Lantarn asks you to love a character who displays some of the characteristic of Stark and I'm sorry you just don't.
Sure Downey isn't crying rivers or have a grand scheme but his performance as Tony Stark in a superhero movie has only been better by a group of actors you can count on one hand (not including your thumb).

Garfield put in a stella peformance but that performance doesn't touch Downey's Stark but to be fair to him not many have either.

Downey's performance is electric, Marvel is asking you like, no LOVE, a character that sells weapons for a living. A character who completely self obsessed, messes people around, looks out for number one and you love him for it when it would be so easy to turn on the character.

Green Lantarn asks you to love a character who displays some of the characteristic of Stark and I'm sorry you just don't.
Sure Downey isn't crying rivers or have a grand scheme but his performance as Tony Stark in a superhero movie has only been better by a group of actors you can count on one hand (not including your thumb).

Garfield put in a stella peformance but that performance doesn't touch Downey's Stark but to be fair to him not many have either.

Hmm, for me RDJ is an excellent Stark/IM for all the reasons you say, but I don't regard that accomplishment nearly as highly. Maybe I'm wrong for feeling this way, but I often feel like RDJ is very much like his onscreen Stark/IM persona. Which is to say, it's not a huge acting stretch for him. I'm not taking away how good he is, but I don't give him an immense amount of credit for an incredible acting job either.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"