How easy is it to learn how to play the guitar?

Evelisse

Exactly
Reaction score
Any musicians out there, I've been looking to learn an instrument, and was thinking about the guitar. Whats a good accoustic guitar to learn on at a fair price? Are lessons the best way or can it be done with instructional dvds?

My brother tried to teach me to play guitar...I failed miserably. :oldrazz:

It all depends on you and how fast you learn. There really isn't a set time frame. I would have hands on leasons if I were you, something about learning from a DVD just doesn't sound right to me. Haveing someone teach you hands on will be better in the end because you will need feed back and will have questions that will need answered.

As for what guitar to buy. Well it is all in how mych you want to spend. You could get one for about $24 or you could spend $1000's on one. I say buy a Gibson or a Fender if you want quality. But if you want to just try one out, one of the guitars by First Act from WalMart will do the job. I am just not sure about their sound though. Look on ebay for a used guitar or go to your local guitar store and ask questions from a salesman. they should also be able to give leasons.

or go here http://www.guitarcenter.com/

I learned to play the Piano rather competently by ear, apart from a few little tips by my old music teachers I was completely self taught. The guitar seems like much more of an intricate instrument to me, I'd love to learn it.

There's also the social aspect of it, it's not like you can whip a piano out at a drunken party & all have a sing-song.

Unless you're Elton John

You can find a student Fender acoustic for around $200 used, or you can never go wrong with Alvarez, IMO. I think they start around $200 new.

Get yourself a chord book, a tuner, and a metronome. Make yourself a promise that you'll learn 5 new chords a week. As far as lessons, I agree face time is better than pushing play on a DVD player. Plus, it helps you network and meet other musicians. You'd be surprised how much fun learning guitar can be when you play with other guitarists and/or musicians. Plus they'll show you little tricks that DVD lessons don't.

Thanks for the info guys, I've learned to play the violin and trumpet while growing up, I'm looking for a new hobby to take up my time. Am I right its best to learn accoustic guitar before electric?

eve i am looking into taking up the violin any advice you can provide on that

I caught on to the violin pretty quickly, i had a good teacher, though I eventually lost my joy for it, was kinda forced on me by my parents growing up, which lead to me rebelling and going trumpet for a while :p I still play from time to time when the mood strikes.

it your determined to do it, then you can do it. i tried learning and failed, just didnt have the time. but its just something you have to be determined to learn to get it. i would suggest learning to play on acoustic first. the action on acoustic guitars requires more work than electric guitars. so if you get proficient on acoustic, your speed on electric will come with great ease. but i know many really phenominal guitarists. of the two best i know, it took one of them 2 years of determination to really get it down. it took the other 2 months. so....

I caught on to the violin pretty quickly, i had a good teacher, though I eventually lost my joy for it, was kinda forced on me by my parents growing up, which lead to me rebelling and going trumpet for a while :p I still play from time to time when the mood strikes.
i assume its better to get and instructor correct

i assume its better to get and instructor correct

I would recommend it, like some had suggested to me for the guitar, with the violin I think that immediate feedback you get from an instructor is important.

my other recommendation would be to please please please not play s**t music.

Thanks for the info guys, I've learned to play the violin and trumpet while growing up, I'm looking for a new hobby to take up my time. Am I right its best to learn accoustic guitar before electric?

Acoustic is better to learn with I'm told. I try to play acoustic, but am not that good.

I learnt to play with a electric first, least then you can rock along to some tunes with out sounding like a country and western hillbilly

isnt that left to the "ear" of the beholder??

much music is subjective. some (most of which can be found on the modern day "alt. rock" pop station) is just so bad theres nothing objective about it. its just bad offensive to the musical institution. but then again, maybe im a d!ck when it comes to music.

much music is subjective. some (most of which can be found on the modern day "alt. rock" pop station) is just so bad theres nothing objective about it. its just bad offensive to the musical institution.
while that may be true its still not right to tell people dont play bad music cause what they play may not be bad to them. not tryinig to insight an argument tho just voiceing an opinion.

while that may be true its still not right to tell people dont play bad music cause what they play may not be bad to them. not tryinig to insight an argument tho just voiceing an opinion.

im well aware my opinion on this may not be the most rational....but i love music too much be okay with the existence of s#!t "music". ha. :oldrazz:

im well aware my opinion on this may not be the most rational....but i love music too much be okay with the existence of s#!t "music". ha. :oldrazz:
if anyone shares that sentiment with you its me...i too believe there is a lot of just off and weird music out there and i sometimes wonder how it gets aloud, but the people speak and if they like it well it just continues. i majored in music in school and sometimes i loose faith in music in general but what can ya do

if anyone shares that sentiment with you its me...i too believe there is a lot of just off and weird music out there and i sometimes wonder how it gets aloud, but the people speak and if they like it well it just continues. i majored in music in school and sometimes i loose faith in music in general but what can ya do

i get that, and i dont actually expect my radical opinion to be taken entirely seriously.

though, i think peoples "genuine appreciation" for this s#!t music can be argued. mainly because most people rely on radio for their music. and with the homogonization of the airwaves, they're not really being given an appropriate variety of music to make an honest opinion to even know what they truly like. i mean, when you're given the choices of A, B, or C how can you make an educated opinion or REALLY know what you want when you dont even know D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, etc even exists? but whatevs....im just being a music d!ck.

and as for what you can do about it....encourage someone not to play s#!t music when you hear they're picking up the guitar. :p

I played guitar 2 years ago. I was alright at it. You really need to dedicate a lot of time to it, which I didn't. I tried to pick it up the other day and I can play nothing.:csad:

How easy is it to learn how to play the guitar?/QUOTE]
I believe it's quite easy. I learnt by myself......but I studied piano before, so I was into music and I'm a bit enthusiast about music and instruments so.. that might've help :oldrazz:

anyway, if anyone's too dumb to learn guitar, they should go for the bassguitar

:woot:

I taught myself the general chords and everything in about 3 months, now im 6 months in and im doing pretty good, it does require a lot of time and you should definitely look into music theory it helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"