How easy is it to learn how to play the guitar?

Basic chords are easy to learn but it gets more complicated after that. Also it takes some practice to get your fingers in the right positions.

Acoustic, I find, is much better to learn with than electric guitar. Builds up finger strength far more efficiently.

Definitely. I learned on an acoustic where the strings were really high off the fretboard. Once I got my electric i was way better. Playing songs on an acoustic is really fun anyway.

I'm a bassist, but I did pick up an electric guitar to fool around with. It was only $100. Nothing too extraordinary, but not bad for a cheap ass guitar either. With that said, I suck at guitar. I think I'm more cut out for bass anyway.

Learning to play any instrument depends on a few things, the same with everyone:

1. Your natural ability

2. Your dedication and willingness to learn and practice

3. Your readiness to study

You don't need any natural ability to play instruments at all (but, by any means, I'm not saying it doesn't help). Practice, practice, practice, and never give up on songs you want to learn or techniques you want to master. Keep practicing them, and you'll become as good as you want to be.

I'm a bassist, but I did pick up an electric guitar to fool around with. It was only $100. Nothing too extraordinary, but not bad for a cheap ass guitar either. With that said, I suck at guitar. I think I'm more cut out for bass anyway.

Learning to play any instrument depends on a few things, the same with everyone:

1. Your natural ability

2. Your dedication and willingness to learn and practice

3. Your readiness to study

You don't need any natural ability to play instruments at all (but, by any means, I'm not saying it doesn't help). Practice, practice, practice, and never give up on songs you want to learn or techniques you want to master. Keep practicing them, and you'll become as good as you want to be.

Exactly. Excellent points. Picking songs that you love helps your determination ass well. If you learn songs that you love it just makes you wanna get better.

Exactly. Excellent points. Picking songs that you love helps your determination ass well. If you learn songs that you love it just makes you wanna get better.

Bingo. And never be afraid to try "hard" songs.

When I first picked up my bass, I began playing Metallica, from the Cliff Burton era. Without realizing it, I started out playing some of the hardest and most complicated bass lines to grace rock record.

Now, I look at basslines from songs like "Animal I Have Become" and "Last Resort" and laugh, because I'm done learning it in no more than five minutes.

Don't ever let complicated songs get in your way. With that said, the way I began training isn't necessarily the best way for many people. Cliff Burton's basslines require massive amounts of speed and dexterity in both hands to pull off, so I was at such a loss when I first started trying to learn a lot of the songs.

The same can be said for a lot of the best guitar songs. Think Jimi Hendrix or Eddie Van Halen.

Bingo. And never be afraid to try "hard" songs.

When I first picked up my bass, I began playing Metallica, from the Cliff Burton era. Without realizing it, I started out playing some of the hardest and most complicated bass lines to grace rock record.

Now, I look at basslines from songs like "Animal I Have Become" and "Last Resort" and laugh, because I'm done learning it in no more than five minutes.

Don't ever let complicated songs get in your way. With that said, the way I began training isn't necessarily the best way for many people. Cliff Burton's basslines require massive amounts of speed and dexterity in both hands to pull off, so I was at such a loss when I first started trying to learn a lot of the songs.

The same can be said for a lot of the best guitar songs. Think Jimi Hendrix or Eddie Van Halen.

Definitely. When I learned the master of puppets riff it really helped. Especially since I was downpickin the whole thing like they do.It really helped my picking abilities. Once you learn at least one seemingly hard song others become way easier.

All very good advice, went guitar shopping yesterday afternoon not to far from the house saw some nice guitars to pick from, probably will get it this weekend.

Any musicians out there, I've been looking to learn an instrument, and was thinking about the guitar. Whats a good accoustic guitar to learn on at a fair price?

The way I've always looked at it, is that it really doesn't matter how difficult it is for a person to play guitar, (or any other instrument for that matter) what ultimately matters is your love for music, and for the instrument. I mean, if you're absolutely enthralled with playing guitar, you're particular learning curve won't even be an issue. The drive is what matters.

If you're going for your first acoustic guitar, I'd suggest an Alvarez or Epiphone. The best way to go, however, is to just try a million different acoustics out. See what sounds good to you, regardless of name-brand.

If you can, try to get one with a "solid top"--as opposed to plywood or some other composite wood.

Hold the guitar. Does it feel comfortable? Is the neck too round for your liking? Too flat? How does the fretboard feel when you slide your chord hand along it?

Check the action on the guitar. (How far the strings are set away from the fretboard; high action, low action)

Action is a preference, and diferent people prefer differentiating types of action. When you're starting out though, I'd suggest an action that isn't ungainly high or incredibly low. One way to check this out is to just press a simple chord shape, and decide if it takes a little too long for you to press the chord shape down to the fretboard. Concordingly, see if it is way too sensitive, the strings hitting the fretboard when you don't mean them to.

**You also want to definately check for "buzzing".**

Pick each string, going from open, (0 fret, without fingering a note) to the first fret, the second, third, and so on. Try the octive (12 fret). As you're doing this, you may encounter this "buzzing" sound as your fingers approach each fret. This is usually indicative of the quality and care that went into engineering the fret holes and saddle of the guitar. If it wasn't mapped out correctly, there is a chance that the the string, as it vibrates after you pluck it, will just so slightly bump against the wood of the fretboard, causing a "buzz" sound. Now, this is going to happen a little regardless of the quality of the guitar, because you probably won't have the adequate finger strength yet. However, it shouldn't happen a lot, and it shouldn't be difficult to fret a note on the fretboard without getting buzzing.

Check the guitar's uniformness.

Take your left hand, (if you are right-handed) and lightly touch the very middle tip of the headstock. Strum the guitar. If the guitar has been put together well, you should be able to feel a humming vibration with your left hand. This means, that the vibrational feedback bounced against the soundboard, and traveled all the way up the neck, to the headstock and your finger. The more powerful the vibration that you sense, the more care went into setting the neck into the body of the guitar, and the more sustain, and responce you'll get out of the guitar when you play it.

As far as acoustic strings go, I swear by Elixir strings. Quality strings make a HUGE difference. http://www.elixirstrings.com/

Are lessons the best way or can it be done with instructional dvds?

That's completely up to you. Personally, I'd say just try things out for yourself, and go your own route. I think it'll make you a better player in the end, and you'll develop your own style. There are great videos and articles out there for you to use while you're doing this--many of them free. Check out guitar magazines regularly, such as GuitarOne and guitarWorld.

Read lots of sheet music and tablature. Look up all your favorite songs, and learn how to play them. Pretty soon, after reading various tabs and sheet music, in conjuction with the songs you already know, you'll start to get an ear for notes and chords. Eventually, you'll notice that, when you hear a new song on the radio, for instance, you'll start to "see" what chords they're playing, as they're playing them--even though you've never even heard the song before.

Try your own approach, do your own thing, and seek help when you need it. You can keep it simple and just "campfire" it, or you can really delve into new techniques and theory. Just have fun. :yay:

http://www.youtube.com/user/justinsandercoe?ob=4

http://mxtabs.net

http://911tabs.com

http://www.youtube.com/user/RobChappers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"